Tech Support Hotline

Same make, different model.

I believe @Wyvern also experiences the same (or similar) issue. Not sure her phone/router makes and models and configurations?

1 Like

One thing you could try is reserve an IP address on your router’s DHCP for your phone. IP addresses are reserved for 2 hours and then renewed, maybe that could be causing the issue. Probably not but it’s a simple fix so it’s worth a shot.

2 Likes

Worth a shot.

1 Like

Mine is a cell signal issue, not wifi unfortunately

The “no internet” thing can come up if it isn’t finding the URL for the “check internet access” function. it could be something like a slow DNS lookup.

Perhaps you can change your router (or phone) to use different DNS servers as a test/

1 Like

I wonder if anyone could share some thoughts and suggestions.

My mother, in all her wonder and glory, has asked me to get her a DVD player which she can plug into her TV so that she can watch her series (and DVD’s, duh!). Then when not watching and road-tripping she would like to use it in the car, as a CD player doesn’t require a screen (as their car doesn’t have CD and only Bluetooth).

Does such a thing exist, or am I looking at getting her two separate solutions?

1 Like

at the very least, you’d be jerry riggin the dvd player to be able to get powe from the car (from like the cigarette holder thingy) as well as hooking into the sound system. and since you want it to be portable (by taking back inside to the tv) its def not gonna look pretty. 2 seperate solutions is definitely gonna be less ugly and hassle free.
I’m at least not aware of any hot-swappable dvd/cd player that fits in a car but that also accepts normal 2/3 prong plugs. DVD players should be super cheap (if not free, if you find a friend thats like - nah fam dont even use it, take it). so maybe just get a dvd player dedicated for the tv…and then look at getting a nice cd player/sound system for the car.

2 Likes

I’d start by looking at portable DVD players.

Ideally you’d need it to have output for the TV, then some kind of headphone output for the car.
You mentioned that the car only has Bluetooth though, so idk if this will work.
You could use one of those FM transmitters which also have 3.5mm inputs but now things are getting messy.

Depending on how much music she has on CD, it might be worth buying/converting of streaming the music.

1 Like

Exactly this! I was just on a call with her and pretty much told her this. Now looking for a “cheap” option to have as a dedicated DVD player which can stay connected to her TV.

Yeah, currently trying to find a way to solve this. My ma is stubborn and wants to use her CD’s.

1 Like

Anyone know where we can pick up a cheap but decent mp3 player - we want to give it to the staff at the step down facility to use with my dad, something simple, not to expensive since he might break it.

I would imagine that tech is quite old/commonplace, so im sure game or somewhere like that would have options? I had a nice mp3 player like 15+ years ago, was essentially a bulky flashdisk with a small led screen on it. was awesome since it doubled as a flashdisk too. If that was 15+ years ago you shouldnt have any trouble finding something cheap but reliable.

1 Like

https://www.takealot.com/telefunken-4gb-white-mp3-player-tmp-404w/PLID73305948
We are looking at this one, its a bit more than what I would have liked to spend, but the really cheapies are kak.

Yea something like that. but im sure a place like game would have old stock/models that they might be wanting to get rid of, so i would definitely go walk around a mall :slight_smile:

But thats definitely the gist of it. usb stick, charges with usb. tiny led screen, whole thing fits in pocket. it was awesome…and my one lasted me my entire (5 year+) varsity phase where i used it daily, and would even plug it into the speaker system at the climbing wall, so it became a mini hi fi :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that, we just want something small, easy to use (hopefully dad will learn to use it himself at some point.) Otherwise the staff will put it on for him

Not sure if required, perhaps folks could shed some insights here. Do I need some form of virus, malware, etc. protection on my mobile device, and can anyone recommend a decent(ish) app?

I always used CCleaner on desktop but have never done so on mobile. Any other suggestions?

1 Like

This question has probably been answered somewhere ;-P. But here goes. I just got a AIO CPU liquid cooler and am looking at the radiator/fan setup. Do I have it blow hot air out like most of my other case fans or do I have it pull cool air into the radiator but then adding hot air to the inside of the case?

1 Like

That doesn’t answer me at all.

:confused:

2 Likes

@Beo This is up for debate: no you don’t, provided you don’t go to weird websites, or even well known ones, that can embed strange links. I mean, treat your phone like it’s mildly more important than your kids… if it’s compromised, many bad things can happen, if it’s the key to your financial world, livelihood, or online identity.

@Shrike Direction of fans on the radiator doesn’t change liquid temperature. So, it should be pointed in the direction, that makes airflow sense for the case. Example: if you prefer to have intake in the front of the case, then make it exhaust out the top. If you prefer to intake at the top, then make it exhaust in the front.

Some cases have bottom vents as well as rear. So, adjust to suite your case. Point is, keep the intake vs exhaust reasonable equal, and have them flow in a general direction inside, because using an AIO means, you have no fans on the CPU to help this.

If you have an SFF case, you should probably look up a few videos, as it becomes so specific to the layout of the particular case.

Only other thing to keep in mind is, keep the AIO pump, lower vertically, than where the pipes meet the radiator, so as to make sure that no air bubbles make their way into the AIO pump, right where the impeller is. Pump could become louder over time, and eventually lead to pump issues.

2 Likes

Awesome advice, thanks so much!

2 Likes

Makes no real difference.

1 Like