Testing the Vodacom 5G network

Hey, folks. I’m out of the house and testing the Vodacom 5G network today. Or rather, I am specifically testing one Vodacom 5G tower, because I want to do some latency tests.

Here’s a baseline speedtest so long:

In addition to testing some local / peer-to-peer gaming, I’d like to test streaming uploads.

Restream doesn’t have a local ingest server listed, it seems, so I’ll try Twitch and YouTube.

I wanted to stream my Hellblade gameplay anyway, so I think I’ll start by testing that later tonight. I was thinking around 18:30, if any of y’all want to watch.

If there’s something you want me to test, feel free to suggest it below!

4 Likes

At the risk of being flamed, but I’m sure you guys will get the joke.

Let us know if you catch corona. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Too slow :wink:

1 Like

I am considering adding it in as a section for my review. We’ll see if it passes the edit :grin:.

Would you be able to test Google Stadia or any of those other game streaming platforms?

1 Like

Nor for this test, unfortunately. I’ll look into which services are officially available from South Africa and see about arranging a test for them.

I expect I’ll run out of data quickly… Only have 20GB for today :stuck_out_tongue:

You can bring to their attention how quickly that gets used up.

I was having some trouble with UDP connections from the 5G. Hopefully streaming is not affected, but I guess we’ll see soon!

1 Like

Ready

1 Like

Thanks! Getting set up.

Trying to be as fair as possible… using local ingest servers and such.

Update: I have jumped into the GameClub Discord.

2 Likes

1 Like

Thank you to @Entity, @czc, and the two silent viewers for helping me test at such short notice tonight. I really appreciate it :smile:

2 Likes

I plan on running another test tonight. Will probably stream to YouTube.

It’ll probably be best to start earlier. Is 18h00 better for everyone?

3 Likes

Moderate difference in speed today after switching to Vodacom’s “Unrestricted” APN to test if I could fix the latency issues in Warframe.

1 Like

:+1:

5 chars

1 Like

Put it in the discord :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Stream looked and sounded good on my end. YT automatically started the stream at 720p for me, but easily changed and held at 1080p from there. And the audio feed from Discord (I assume) with Entity and Annie (?) was clear. Much better balance compared to the audio from last nights Twitch stream (I watched chunks of the VOD).

Did catch your mention of Bright Memory at the end of the stream too. Worth mentioning that buying the the Chapter 1 “demo” version for R79 gets you a free copy (100% off voucher) for the final Bright Memory: Infinite version once it’s released.

All Bright Memory owners will get Bright Memory: Infinite for free!

From here on out, I will no longer be developing Bright Memory: Episode 1 any further, but I plan on making regular “experimental” additions of various new features, etc., which players will be able to try out. Once development of Bright Memory: Infinite is complete, it will be distributed as a separate game, but those who have already purchased Bright Memory: Episode 1 will receive a special “100% off” discount coupon for Bright Memory: Infinite prior to its release.

3 Likes

Thanks again for joining the stream. I really appreciate you keeping me company on Discord and giving a viewer perspective (and reading chat!), @Entity.

@czc, @GregRedd, and @oltman: Thank you for sounding off in chat and giving feedback about the audio levels and stream quality.

And if anyone was watching, but didn’t say anything in chat: thanks for tuning in :smile:.

I know it’s right over dinner time, so I’ll schedule future non-work related streams to start at 20h00 or so

4 Likes

My phone is limited to 720p60, but it looked crisp and clear. Not sure what streaming settings you were using (bitrate etc) but is was like butter!

5 Likes