Testing the Vodacom 5G network

@SIGSTART when is the next stream?

2 Likes

Its nothing to do with your 5G test.

But the twitch stream buffers every few seconds and the youtube one doesn’t. This is why I don’t watch twitch.

2 Likes

I think its because his twitch stream was locked to 1080p 60 quality while the youtube would adjust quality.

Also. Twitch is just badly optimised with regards to encoding etc.

3 Likes

Oh! This is good to know. Is there something I need to do to allow people to get a less demanding version of the stream on Twitch?

Or maybe we should just stick to platforms like YouTube, which has local caching nodes.

That said… With Amazon launching a data centre in Cape Town, maybe more of Twitch will be available locally?

2 Likes

Only Twitch partners are guaranteed transcoding, for the rest of us it’s hit and miss. Twitch will try to enable transcoding so normally you would start your stream, check if you have transcoding, if not then you stop and start stream again until you get it.

So yes YouTube would be better for that.

A local datacenter sounds cool. I’m sure lots of streamers will be happy if that means a local ingest server.

1 Like

I see that there are some options for local Twitch ingest servers. But OBS doesn’t turn on its Twitch features if you use a custom config for some silly reason.

Anyway… I was using the Twitch ingest server from Hyperlayer two nights ago (twitch.hyperlayer.co.za). Cool Ideas also has one.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I’m sure a legit Amazon one will be amazing-er :grinning:

1 Like