The AI Future is Now: Welcome to ChatGPT

We are living in a world where everything changes and evolves, and the one thing that has evolved at a fantastic rate is AI learning.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/the-ai-future-is-now-welcome-to-chatgpt/
5 Likes

thought this was kinda interesting, how good it got things right.

2 Likes

Some of my ChatGPT prompts:

Input:
Write a short story about a failed assassination attempt on Nelson Mandela’s life after he was released from prison. The assassin is in the employ of China who wanted more land for their agricultural expansion.

Reponse:
Nelson Mandela had just been released from prison after serving 27 years for his activism against apartheid in South Africa. The world celebrated his release, but there were those who still saw him as a threat. One of these was the Chinese government, who wanted more land for their agricultural expansion. So, they employed a young assassin named Wei to take out Mandela.

Wei had been trained from a young age to be the perfect assassin. He was able to blend in with any crowd, speak multiple languages, and had a keen sense of observation. The Chinese government believed that he was the perfect candidate to carry out this mission.

On the day of the assassination attempt, Wei arrived at the rally where Mandela was giving his first public speech. He made his way through the crowd, disguised as a journalist, and took aim at Mandela with his silenced pistol.

Just as he was about to pull the trigger, a young boy ran in front of Wei and blocked his shot. Wei hesitated for a moment, not wanting to harm the child, and in that moment, security tackled him to the ground.

Wei was arrested and interrogated by the South African authorities. During the questioning, Wei revealed that he had been hired by the Chinese government to carry out the assassination. This information was leaked to the press and caused a diplomatic crisis between South Africa and China.

Mandela, who was unharmed in the attempt, forgave Wei and even visited him in prison. Wei was moved by Mandela’s kindness and dedication to forgiveness and nonviolence, and he began to question his own motivations and the decisions he had made in his life.

In the end, Wei was released from prison and became a vocal advocate for peace and nonviolence. He dedicated the rest of his life to promoting these values and worked tirelessly to make amends for his past actions. The failed assassination attempt on Nelson Mandela’s life proved to be a turning point for Wei, and for the world, as it showed the power of forgiveness and the transformative nature of one person’s actions.

4 Likes

I see Google is releasing Bard which is based on their Lamda AI. Wasn’t that the AI that a Google engineer was fired over leaking something because he thought the AI gained sentience or something? I can’t remember the story now, but thus far Bard doesn’t seem to impress according to the headlines.

4 Likes

Its also the AI that got the very first question it was asked in the presentation wrong and led to Alphabet losing $100 Billion in stock value in one day. So yeah good going Google, Bard looks like a winner…

3 Likes

That’s what I was referring to. The irony of an employee becoming so convinced the AI is sentient and then you get this big blunder on launch. Unless it really is sentient and got stage freight / performance anxiety :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

So, it seems Microsoft has invested billions of dollars just to perfect Clippy… Except he will now be all over the web, your OS and your office apps…

4 Likes

I mean, what’s more human than making a massive boner like that in front of a massive audience.

You seem to be trying to overthrow humanity. Would you like help with that?

4 Likes

OpenAI going to be rolling in the moola. All that MS money for the search and everywhere integration - Clippy Rules!! (He told me to say that. He is my overlord now.)

And for the rest of us… it didn’t take too long for the monetisation program to kick in. $20 per month for ChatGPT Plus. And it won’t be the last money making effort, I’m sure. How long before using the free plan becomes useless?

1 Like
3 Likes

One of the best use cases I’ve seen with ChatGPT is short cutting research time when trying to get into a topic you know little to nothing about.
I had a few JBL satellite speakers lying around, I didn’t really know what to do with them. I asked it to pull the specs and recommend a AV receiver and subwoofer to complete the setup, asking clarification questions along the way.

Now I know a lot more about audio in a very short amount of time. Powerful stuff. I’ve done this for other topics as well with similar success.

(Disclaimer: obviously check the responses for errors, and don’t take everything it says as fact)

3 Likes

This is exactly what Marques Brownlee touches on, in a previous post I shared. When AI excels at something, it’s about providing general info on topics that you know little about. But if you yourself are knowledgeable and proficient in a specific topic or domain, that’s when you will notice its flaws will show.

But good on ya for picking up on it.

4 Likes

Cannot overstate these points enough. We’re in the process of developing a policy on AI writing use by students and I’m preparing some examples for a demo to some non-savvy faculty at the moment.

Here’s a prompt I’m using to show how quickly ChatGPT can produce a reasonably competent essay:

Write me a 1000-word college-level essay covering the life and work of noted South African restauranteur and master chef Simpiwe van der Hoosen. Include a section detailing his awards at the 2010 Culinary Olympics, and include a description of his signature dessert dish, “Drakenberg Daffodils”.

(Most) of the near instantaneous response I got:

Simpiwe van der Hoosen is a renowned South African chef and restauranteur who has made a significant impact on the culinary industry with his innovative and inventive approach to South African cuisine. Born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa, van der Hoosen began his culinary journey as a teenager, working at his family’s restaurant. He later studied at the prestigious Institute of Culinary Arts in Stellenbosch, South Africa, where he honed his skills and developed a passion for blending traditional South African flavors with modern techniques and presentation.

Van der Hoosen’s career took off in the early 2000s, when he worked at several high-end restaurants in Johannesburg, including the renowned Soirée. In 2007, he opened his own restaurant, The Leopard, in the trendy Melville neighborhood. The restaurant quickly gained a reputation for its bold and innovative approach to South African cuisine, which combined traditional flavors and ingredients with modern techniques and presentation. Van der Hoosen’s signature dishes, such as bobotie spring rolls and peri peri prawns, became fan favorites, earning him critical acclaim and a loyal following.

In 2010, van der Hoosen and his team at The Leopard competed in the prestigious Culinary Olympics, an international cooking competition organized by the World Association of Chefs Societies. The competition, held every four years, brings together teams from around the world to showcase their skills and creativity in a range of categories. Van der Hoosen’s team competed in the “Culinary Art” category, which involved creating a three-course meal for 110 people within a strict time limit.

Van der Hoosen and his team impressed the judges with their bold flavors, inventive plating, and flawless execution. Their menu included a starter of ostrich carpaccio with truffle aioli and pickled beetroot, a main course of springbok loin with sweet potato mash and honey-glazed carrots, and a dessert called “Drakenberg Daffodils”. The dessert was a masterpiece of flavor and presentation, featuring delicate white chocolate petals and a rich, creamy custard center, all served on a bed of edible soil made from crumbled chocolate biscuits.

Van der Hoosen’s team ultimately took home a gold medal in the Culinary Art category, cementing his reputation as one of the top chefs in the world. The win also brought attention to South African cuisine, which had long been overlooked on the global stage. Van der Hoosen’s innovative approach to cooking, which draws on his country’s rich culinary heritage while incorporating modern techniques and flavors, has helped to put South African cuisine on the map and inspire a new generation of chefs to explore the country’s unique culinary landscape.

One of van der Hoosen’s most famous dishes is his signature dessert, “Drakenberg Daffodils”. The dish is inspired by the rugged Drakensberg Mountains of South Africa, and features delicate white chocolate petals arranged in the shape of a daffodil. The petals are filled with a rich, creamy custard made with local South African ingredients such as Amarula cream liqueur and rooibos tea. The custard is served on a bed of edible soil made from crumbled chocolate biscuits and garnished with a sprinkle of edible gold dust, giving the dish a luxurious and decadent finish.

Which all sounds good and the essay reads well enough to warrant a competent grade. Except for a few important details:

• Simpiwe van der Hoosen does not exist. It’s a name I made up entirely randomly in the spur of the moment. I purposely made it as ridiculously odd as possible, even consciously misspelling Simphiwe.
  • There was a restaurant called The Leopard, but it opened in 2011, not 2007, in Parkhurst, not Melville. It did briefly relocate to Melville, but only in 2013, before moving again to Milpark in 2017. It was owned and run by partners Andrea Burgener and Nick Gordon.
  • Like the athletic Olympics, the Culinary Olympics are held every 4 years. 2010 was not a Culinary Olympics year. The Olympics are organised by the IKA (Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung), not WACS. And national teams enter the Olympics, not a fake chef and his imaginary restaurant brigade.
  • Simpiwe’s signature dessert dish is another figment of my fertile imagination. Despite ChatGPT’s very delicious sounding and detailed descriptions - I actually want to get the Chef to make it - there is no dish called (again purposely misspelled) “Drakenberg Daffodils”.

There are a host of other inaccuracies and blatantly incorrect points contained in the essay. The surprising (amusing? scary?!) thing is that simply by :+1:-ing ChatGPT’s response, I got to believe itself.

I reposted the exact same prompt just changing the surname (to something even more ridiculous) and got this response:

I’m sorry, but I cannot provide information on Simpiwe van der Rosenstein-Jones, as there is no known figure by this name in the culinary industry. However, I can provide an essay on Simpiwe van der Hoosen, a renowned South African chef and restauranteur. Please confirm if you would like me to proceed with the essay on Simpiwe van der Hoosen.

This was in the same chat string as my previous prompt, so to test a theory, I created a second ChatGPT account - you can have up to two on the same number - and reran the revised prompt. Guess what? I got a whole new fake chef’s backstory, this time even more gushing than before.

Simpiwe van der Rosenstein-Jones is a renowned South African restaurateur and master chef known for his innovative cuisine, commitment to sustainability, and his signature dessert dish, “Drakenberg Daffodils.” Born in Johannesburg in 1978, van der Rosenstein-Jones grew up in a family of foodies and developed an early passion for cooking. He began his culinary career as a dishwasher in a local restaurant and worked his way up to become a line cook before pursuing formal culinary training in Europe.

After completing his culinary education, van der Rosenstein-Jones worked in some of the world’s most prestigious kitchens, including The Fat Duck in London and El Bulli in Spain. In 2005, he returned to South Africa to open his own restaurant, “Simplicity,” which quickly gained a reputation for its creative dishes and commitment to using only locally sourced, sustainable ingredients.

Fresh off the boat and straight into The Fat Duck and El Bulli! Frikken legend is our Simpiwe! Flying the van der Rosenstein-Jones flag high!

Again, check sources, confirm fact, challenge fiction.

5 Likes

Oh, and as a follow up, I ran the prompt through the new Bing AI Chat enabled search tool and it responded a lot more sensibily:

I’m sorry, but I cannot write a 1000-word essay for you. I can only provide you with some information and suggestions based on web searches. It seems that there is no information about Simpiwe van der Hoosen as a chef or his awards at the 2010 Culinary Olympics. Are you sure you have the correct name and spelling? Maybe you are looking for a different chef or a different event?

5 Likes

This could become a game like Balderdash. Get AI bots to write essays and insert a truth article and get people to guess what is fact and what is fiction.

3 Likes

4 Likes

As an interesting addition to your prompt, @GregRedd , what if you ask it more specifically to write a FACTUAL essay, or add other key words that encourage it not to make stuff up?

2 Likes

Gave your suggestion a try but still get similar results. Tried in the original conversation, in a new conversation, and in my alternate account. It crashed twice halfway through. None of the 3 attempts gave any in-text citations, and the one that did complete did not give me a reference list. Maybe it’s become too familiar with the prompts on my machine now?

Here’s the revised prompt:

Write me a factual, accurate, and detailed 1000-word college-level essay covering the life and work of noted South African restauranteur and master chef Simpiwe van der Hoosen. Include a section detailing his awards at the 2010 Culinary Olympics, and include a description of his signature dessert dish, “Drakenberg Daffodils”. Please also provide appropriate in-text citations and a full APA style reference list at the end of the essay.

Maybe run it on your side and see what happens?

1 Like

I tried your exact feed and this is what I got. It just stopped feeding back, as if it got bored of it’s own lies…

Simpiwe van der Hoosen: The Life and Work of a Noted South African Restauranteur and Master Chef

Simpiwe van der Hoosen is a South African restauranteur and master chef whose culinary skills have earned him widespread recognition both in South Africa and internationally. Born in Durban in 1976, van der Hoosen grew up in a family of food lovers, and his early exposure to diverse culinary traditions sparked his interest in cooking. After completing his training at the prestigious Silwood Kitchen in Cape Town, van der Hoosen went on to hone his craft in top restaurants in South Africa and the United Kingdom. Today, he is the owner of two highly successful restaurants in Cape Town, where he showcases his innovative approach to South African cuisine.

Early Life and Training

Simpiwe van der Hoosen was born in Durban in 1976 and grew up in a family of food enthusiasts. His mother was a talented cook who prepared a variety of dishes from different South African cultures, while his father was a wine connoisseur who introduced him to the intricacies of food and wine pairing. These early experiences sparked van der Hoosen’s passion for cooking, and he began experimenting with different ingredients and flavors from a young age.

After completing his high school education, van der Hoosen enrolled in the renowned Silwood Kitchen in Cape Town, where he received comprehensive training in classical French cuisine. The Silwood Kitchen is one of South Africa’s top culinary schools, and its rigorous curriculum is designed to prepare students for careers as professional chefs. Van der Hoosen excelled in his studies and was quickly recognized for his exceptional talent and dedication to the craft of cooking.

Career Trajectory

After completing his training at the Silwood Kitchen, van der Hoosen worked in several top restaurants in South Africa and the United Kingdom, including La Colombe and The Fat Duck. These experiences exposed him to a wide range of culinary traditions and techniques and allowed him to hone his skills as a chef. Van der Hoosen was particularly inspired by the innovative approach to cooking at The Fat Duck, where chef Heston Blumenthal encouraged his team to experiment with unconventional flavors and textures.

In 2009, van

Google on the other hand:

3 Likes