The Crew 2 Official Discussion Thread

The weekend saw The Crew 2 have an open beta. It seemed like the full game was playable, and I spent some time with it on Xbox One X. Let me share some of my early impressions of the game.

Firstly, I am super impressed by the level of polish of the game. Loading times are super short, the engine was running at a very stable frame rate, and on Xbox One X, I’m pretty sure the resolution was 4k, or very close to it. The textures and graphics was just astounding. For a game with such a big map, I was very surprised at both the performance and the quality of the engine.

Onto gameplay. I didn’t like the first game. The Crew was an ambitious game that fell flat due to poor handling mechanics and dull gameplay. Both of those issues seems to be addressed in The Crew 2. The handling mechanics of all vehicles are much nicer and the cars are much easier and more fun to handle. It is still an arcade racer, but it’s a much better and more enjoyable racer.

Then there is the challenges and the “story”. It’s very cheesy and feels a bit tacted on. The cutscenes are a bit cringy. But they are all skippable, and that helps a lot. The challenges and races themselves are rather enjoyable. They is a huge variety of types of races, and the AI is actually a challenge. What I like is that, in stead of making the AI unfairly faster at higher difficulty, the vehicle performance is much higher. It gives the challenges a degree of replayability. I like that, and is an interesting mechanic.

The extra vehicles (planes, boats, bikes and race cars) are just simply awesome! There is a hot swap mechanic where you can immediately swap between a boat, plane or car, and you can set the vehicles that it swaps to. This is so much fun. Swapping between the different vehicles opens up so many different gameplay possibilities, and makes a trek across the enormous map much more fun. The vehicle choices themselves are really good.

Overall I really enjoyed my time with The Crew 2. I am seriously considering grabbing the game when it launches this Friday. It is a definite improvement from the first game.

2 Likes

By contrast, my PC experience with the Open Beta was sadly the opposite to yours. I say sadly because I really want to like it.

I enjoyed The Crew for what it was - a solid arcade-ish driving game that let me create some outlandish tuned up vehicles, and thrash about in a semi-open world doing a bunch of ridiculously improbable things with cars that I’ll never actually get close to doing in real life. Good, meaningless, escapist fun in other words. Exactly what casual gaming is all about for me.

With that spirit in mind, I was looking forward to doing the same with TC2, and with the added bonus of bikes, planes and boats thrown in too. Sadly, I had ridiculously irritating controller issues from the get go with the Open Beta, and never managed to go further than the Prologue. Tried first with a XBox controller (cos that’s the right way to play a Crew game, even on PC) :slight_smile: Had the throttle jammed open, no ability to change gears, or even get back to the menu to change/check the controller settings. Got stuck against a building, unable to reverse. Spent a full minute “wriggling” the car left and right to get past the corner, and then still managed to catch up the other 3 racers in the Prologue before the transition to the boats - ridiculous rubberbanding was an issue in the first game too. Got to the end of the Prologue and the game froze up on me at the start of the cutscene. Had to C-A-D and shut it down with Task Manager.

Tried again later with M&KB, got through the Prologue and the game intro scenes okay but then when the game took me to the map to choose my first destination, it just zoomed itself into a blade of grass and wouldn’t allow me to zoom out again. I think I was still able to move around the map, but it was at such a close level as to be pointless. And then I couldn’t get out of the screen again as ESC did nothing (think I saw a note later that Return to Menu is bound by default to a different key for some reason - F10? - but there was no on-screen indication of this). Another Ctrl-Alt-Delete forced shutdown, and I was done with it.

And while I’m sure these frustrating little issues will be sorted out, and the game on PC will work fine, the whole experience left a bit of a sour taste with me. I went back to look at the pricing on the game, and as much as I initially considered picking it up at launch, there’s just no way I can justify those prices now. It’ll definitely stay on my Wishlists, but it’ll be there until it goes on heavy sale and has had time to patch out the problems.

Mod merge request please > The Crew 2 gets a release date

1 Like