The Great Telegram Migration

With everyone wanting to make the move away from Whatsapp. Have the people seen the “People near me” option on Telegram yea I dont think many have as I a test and went around and I find so many people, some only a few meters away and I managed to find them at the store. Now what that said I think its just a bit creepy that this is a thing and the fact that if you look at the groups in the area. This could lead to some bad things

5 Likes

It’s creepy AF! The whole app is dodgy as hell, and I can’t understand why so many people are flocking to it on the basis that they want to protect their privacy. Just been reading an article about how the feature is being used to sell booze, drugs, and organise other “activities”. It’s a feature that should be off by default, not the other way around, imho.

5 Likes

Yes it should be off and then if people want to turn it on they can but yea Telegram not the best of apps. Signal is better but it will take awhile for people to move to the correct thing

5 Likes

My workgroup has already move telegram. I just changed all the privacy settings.

5 Likes

I’ll just stay with whatsapp. Installed Telegram many years ago but rarely used it.

7 Likes

I use Signal for SMSs, SMSes, essemesses? fokkit

4 Likes

HOT SINGLES IN YOUR AREA!!!

Finally it’s not a scam! XD

5 Likes

I can use my car to drive around and pick up hookers. Is my car creepy too? What you do with a tool, falls on the user, not the tool.

3 Likes

It is much easier for my kids to install telegram and trust the crap that happens in it than trust a creepy car offering them a lift.

3 Likes

That doesn’t make my statement any less valid.

3 Likes

True, just wish it didn’t have that local groups thing. Another thing I will have to trust my kids with.

3 Likes

I wrote about the problems with People Nearby for MyBroadband. Hopefully it gets published soon.

TL;DR: Don’t enable People Nearby unless you are happy to potentially expose your address.

6 Likes

I think I will uninstall this app, I rather have whatsapp and facebook have my data
Since so few people are moving to signal

3 Likes

I got a battery of notifications from Signal yesterday and it’s continuing today. Hordes of people in my Contacts are installing it now. Woot!

3 Likes

I click on people near me but it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Hot singles in your area says “No thank you”.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Change the permissions, disable anything that you think isn’t necessary. This should be your default behaviour when deciding to use applications installed on anything.

If you aren’t doing this, maybe get yourself one of these.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Agree with this. But not everyone explores the settings.

4 Likes