The Invasion of Ukraine

Since the start of the invasion there has been countless news articles, videos, tweets etc. on the situation in Ukraine.

The Wikipedia post sums up quite nicely the gist of how it started:

On 24 February 2022, Russia launched a large-scale invasion of Ukraine, its neighbour to the southwest, marking the largest escalation of the ongoing Russo-Ukrainian War that began in 2014. Russian President Vladimir Putin, claiming that post-1997 enlargement of NATO was a security threat, demanded that Ukraine be legally prohibited from joining the military alliance, and presented irredentist views.[33] A prolonged Russian military build-up and crisis starting in early 2021 preceded the invasion. Days prior to the invasion, Russia recognised two self-proclaimed states within Ukraine’s borders: the Donetsk People’s Republic and the Luhansk People’s Republic. On 21 February, the Russian Armed Forces entered the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine, and on 22 February, the Russian Federation Council unanimously authorised Putin to use military force outside Russia.

Around 05:00 EET (UTC+2) on 24 February, Putin announced a “special military operation” in eastern Ukraine; minutes later, missile strikes began at locations across Ukraine, including the capital, Kyiv. The Ukrainian Border Service stated that its border posts with Russia and Belarus were attacked.[34][35] Two hours later, Russian ground forces entered the country.[36] Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy responded by enacting martial law, severing diplomatic ties with Russia and announcing general mobilisation. The invasion received widespread international condemnation, including sanctions being imposed on Russia, while anti-war protests in Russia were met with mass arrests.

There are a lot of questions going around and opinions as to what the rest of the world should or should not be doing. In many ways the following meme, while humorous, is quite on point:

One of the prevailing questions that is being asked is why doesn’t anyone jump into the fight to stop Russia. Many nations have brought increasingly severe sanctions against Russia, but the question is are they making any difference and can they make any difference?

From my limited understanding, the reason why the other nations have preferred to go the route of sanctions rather than sending forces to help defend Ukraine is that of escalation. Since the Ukraine is not part of NATO (What is NATO?) the organisation has no jurisdiction to send in a defence force. In that light, another nation sending in their army would be regarded as entering into the war with Russia. If other nations start getting involved on either side of the fight, we find ourselves heading towards a World War situation (in the worst possible case).

Sanctions can be effective in that they reduce what Russia has to gain by invading Ukraine:

And thus if the sanctions are harsh enough they may deter Russia from proceeding with their invasion. That is if Putin thinks about things rationally. Something that seems decreasingly likely since he has surrounded himself with “yes men” advisors who will spin these sanctions as unjust treatment from the west, rather than acknowledge that Russia is bringing this upon itself by its aggressive actions.

The flip side is that the invasion is not going as well as Putin would have hoped. The Ukrainians are putting up a hard fight to defend their homeland whereas the invading Russian forces may be internally questioning the rightness of this invasion. Many would have been convinced by the Russian propaganda, but protests in Russia show that not everyone agrees with what’s happening. Putin is finding himself being pushed into a tight spot. He had general approval for the invasion but that sentiment could greatly swing the other way if the Russians aren’t able to take Kyiv the capital or if he calls off the invasion - leaving Russian with nothing but defeat and a bloody nose.

There’s a lot more to say, so I’ll leave it open to anyone who has come across any helpful info with regard to understanding this whole affair.

2 Likes

"Go fuck yourself, Russian warship!”

This should/will become the rallying cry of anti-war and anti-Russian protests.

The sacrifice of these 13 Ukrainian guardsmen, who stood in defiance against a frikken Russian missile flagship…

4 Likes

The most upsetting part, to me at least, is that this island is barely a piece of rock sticking out of the water. There’s nothing on there… These people were killed over a little rock in the sea. :frowning:

3 Likes

I clearly do not know enough about global politics, but why is NOBODY helping Ukraine. Is sanctions really enough? In my searches for answers it basically comes down to Putin threatening any country who interferes, stopping just short of nuclear attack. Is the Ukraine not part of Europe? Is it really enough to just support then with weapons, and not manpower? What about special access to NATO?

If anybody has a link to some web resource that will explain the lack of assistance, I would love to read it. At this stage I just do not get why Russia gets away with this…?

4 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have a link, but short answer is that Ukraine is not a member of either the EU or NATO. US troops were moved to Latvia, as this is the closest they could get legally. Keep in mind that it’s not all that simple to just help - moving armies around could be seen as an act of aggression as well.

Y’know. Unless you’re Russia.

It sucks. I wish a stronger country would assist.

4 Likes

Nukes. I think there’s a hesitancy for other European nations to commit to direct military manpower aid unless the Russians directly attack them. NATO and the Europeans don’t want to be seen to be the aggressors and trigger an extreme response.

Putin is a power hungry megalomaniac on an insane ego trip. His troops are driving tanks over civilian’s in cars, shooting up orphanages, and attacking hospitals with rockets and grenades. With that level of disregard for human life and the conventions at troop level on the ground, there’s every reason to be concerned about what the generals and the commander would do in terms of escalation if things aren’t going their way.

I think there’s a legitimate fear that if Putin feels he’s losing this fight because Poland or Germany have stepped in and are helping the Ukrainians kick his arse, he may go (literally) ballistic. Whether his commanders obey those orders or is not really something EU and NATO want to risk testing. All it would take would be one, and then all hell could break out.

Basically, I think the big worry is that Putin will hide in his secure bunker and unleash Armageddon if pushed too far by others.

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones”. Albert Einstein

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

1 Like

Really interesting, thanks for sharing. Fascinating that he basically predicted what was going to happen when he started producing the video.

1 Like

Just when you thought South Africa actually did and said the right things about events on the global stage for a change, the SA Government and the ANC do the flip-flop walk back. Spineless wombats. They are putting our country on the wrong side of this. Sadly, they’re not the ones that will be impacted by it - all their juicy Kremlin Kash is safe in their off-shore accounts and crypto wallets.

2 Likes

Set of 3 static live webcams streaming from the Ukrainian capital Kyiv. Also currently streaming the EU parliment’s debate on fast-tracking Ukraine’s membership to the Union.

This one has 9 live feed cameras from various places in Ukraine:

1 Like

3 Likes

Hey maybe it will work out that we can get cheaper fuel from Russia since they’ll have less places to sell it to

2 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

How the nations of the world voted in the UN General Assembly’s formal call on Russia to immediately withdraw from Ukraine. At least we didn’t vote Against. Still, the company we’re keeping in the Abstentions column is not exactly a shining beacon of nations. Brazil voted In Favour, so that BS about solidarity with the BRICS nations was exactly that, BS.

That graphic in isolation is confusing.

“Aggression against Ukraine”
Most countries seem to be in favour of the aggression. South Africa did not know what the question meant and abstained…

I’m shocked how many Africans on Twitter are pro-Russia and pro-war.

This is why we abstained… Such utter hogwash

3 Likes

“Sitting on the fence for too long will give you splinters in your arse.”

2 Likes