The Official TV & TV Series Thread

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Streaming on Paramount+ - 5 May

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series will feature fan favorites from season two of Star Trek: Discovery, and will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the years before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

Stars Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One, and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock.

Streams on Parmamount+ from Thursday, 5 May.

1 Like

Under the Banner of Heaven

Streams on FX/Hulu - 28 April

“Under the Banner of Heaven” is an original limited series inspired by the true crime bestseller by Jon Krakauer, which follows the events that led to the 1984 murder of Brenda Wright Lafferty and her baby daughter in a suburb in the Salt Lake Valley, Utah. As Detective Jeb Pyre investigates events that transpired within the Lafferty family, he uncovers buried truths about the origins of the LDS religion and the violent consequences of unyielding faith. What Pyre, a devout Mormon, unearths leads him to question his own faith.

Stars Andrew Garfield, Rohan Mead, Beau McHattie, Scott Michael Campbell, Daisy Edgar-Jones, Christopher Heyerdahl, Britt Irvin, Taylor St. Pierre, and Sam Worthington.

7-episode mini-series streams on FX/Hulu (so via Disney+ maybe??) from Thursday, 28 April.

1 Like

I Love That For You

Streams on Showtime - 29 April

Inspired by true events, this hilarious new comedy follows childhood leukemia survivor Joanna Gold as she chases her lifelong dream of becoming a home shopping channel host. Shedding her “cancer girl” label, she moves away from her parents, starts a budding romance for the first time in her adult life and befriends her idol, the charismatic star of the network. But when a little white lie to her boss turns into a big snowy avalanche, Joanna finds that living the dream comes with a hefty price tag.

Stars Vanessa Bayer, Molly Shannon and Jenifer Lewis.

Premiers on Showtime on Friday, 29 April then streams weekly from Sunday, 1 May.

1 Like

The Essex Serpent

Streams on Apple TV+ - 13 May

A widow, a village vicar, and a mythical beast…are the rumors true? Set in Victorian England, The Essex Serpent follows London widow Cora Seaborne who moves to Essex to investigate reports of a mythical serpent. She forms an unlikely bond with the village vicar, but when tragedy strikes, locals accuse her of attracting the creature.

Features a star-studded cast led by Claire Danes, Tom Hiddleston, Frank Dillane, Clémence Poésy and Hayley Squires.

Streams on APple TV+ from Friday, 13 May.

1 Like

Love, Death + Robots (Volume 3)

Streams on Netflix - 20 May

Emmy-winning animated anthology Love, Death + Robots returns with a third-volume executive produced by Tim Miller (Deadpool, Terminator: Dark Fate) and David Fincher (Mindhunter, Mank). Terror, imagination, and beauty combine in new episodes which stretch from uncovering an ancient evil to a comedic apocalypse, telling startling short stories of fantasy, horror, and science-fiction with trademark wit and visual invention.

Volume 3 of the brilliant animated anthology streams on Netflix from Friday, 20 May.

1 Like

Prehistoric Planet

Streams on Apple TV+ - 23 May

The world’s most extraordinary creatures like you’ve never seen them before in a five-night documentary event.

Experience the world of dinosaurs like never before in this epic docuseries from Executive Producer Jon Favreau and the producers of Planet Earth.

Narrated by David Attenborough, with music by Hans Zimmer.

Streaming on Apple TV+ from Monday, 23 May.

https://tv.apple.com/za/show/prehistoric-planet/umc.cmc.4lh4bmztauvkooqz400akxav

1 Like

The Staircase

Streams on HBO Max | 5 May

Inspired by a true story, The Staircase explores the life of Michael Peterson (Colin Firth), his sprawling North Carolina family, and the suspicious death of his wife, Kathleen Peterson (Toni Collette). The eight-episode Max Original limited series, created by Antonio Campos, debuts Thursday, May 5 on HBO Max.

Stars Colin Firth, Toni Collette, Sophie Turner, Michael Stuhlbarg, Dane DeHaan, Odessa Young, Rosemarie DeWitt, Patrick Schwarzenegger.

Limited 8-episode series streams on HBO Max from Thursday, 5 May.

1 Like

The Time Traveler’s Wife

Streams on HBO Max | 15 May

A couple’s relationship is put to the test when time travel is involved. Based on Audrey Niffenegger’s 2003 debut novel of the same name.

Stars Rose Leslie, Theo James, Caitlin Shorey, Jason David.

Streams on HBO Max from Sunday, 15 May.

It was a book, then a movie, now a TV series, and soon to be a stage musical too. That’s some mileage!

1 Like

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Disney+ | 27 May

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith” where Obi-Wan Kenobi faced his greatest defeat—the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side as evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

The series stars Ewan McGregor, reprising his role as the iconic Jedi Master, and also marks the return of Hayden Christensen in the role of Darth Vader. Joining the cast are Moses Ingram, Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell and Benny Safdie.

6-part series Streams on Disney+ from Friday, 27 May.

Magnificent!

2 Likes

Candy

Hulu | 9 May

Based on disturbingly true events. Candy Montgomery is a 1980 housewife and mother who did everything right—good husband, two kids, nice house, even the careful planning and execution of transgressions—but when the pressure of conformity builds within her, her actions scream for just a bit of freedom. With deadly results.

Stars Jessica Biel, Melanie Lynskey, Timothy Simons, Pablo Schreiber, and Raúl Esparza.

Streams over 5 nights on Hulu from Monday, 9 May.

Yip, that’s the same Jessica Biel…

2 Likes

Cannot wait!
Edit: sorry, double post!

2 Likes

She (Jessica Biel) stars in Season 1 of The Sinner, and produces the following two seasons (iirc). That’s a great mystery/detective show, with a unique format. I do recommend it!

I will keep an eye out on Candy too.

2 Likes

She is one of my favourite Jessicas…

1 Like
2 Likes

I loved this, surprisingly it had my legs twitching watching it, old muscle memories.

2 Likes

cant remember if I shared this before, busy with season 2, so far season 1 still wins but the tension of 2 is getting better by each episode.

Love, Death + Robots (Volume 3)

Streams on Netflix - 20 May

Official Trailer

Emmy-winning animated anthology Love, Death + Robots returns with a third-volume executive produced by Tim Miller (Deadpool, Terminator: Dark Fate) and David Fincher (Mindhunter, Mank). Terror, imagination, and beauty combine in nine new episodes which stretch from uncovering an ancient evil to a comedic apocalypse, telling startling short stories of fantasy, horror, and science-fiction with trademark wit and visual invention.

Volume 3 of the brilliant animated anthology streams on Netflix from Friday, 20 May.

“They were mean to robots and then robots killed them. Aha ha ha!”

1 Like
3 Likes

Oooh. I can’t remember if I ever got round to watching Season 3. Was quite a while ago…

2 Likes

Ope. This just showed up on my recommended.

I might just have to give this a whirl (pronounced hwirl)

2 Likes