The Productivity Thread

We spend money today at the expense of saving for the future. We choose the fast and easy option over a healthy meal. And in the face of tasks that make us feel anxious or uncomfortable, we procrastinate and avoid them.

Even our tendency to over-commit ourselves finds its roots in Present Bias. We do what feels good and easy in the short-term — saying yes to an opportunity or a coworker’s ask for help — without considering how our Future Selves will make time for it.

A couple of years ago, I got real nerdy and read an article exploring the science behind our Present Bias: What’s going on at a neurological and psychological level that makes us act in complete disregard for our Future Selves? And, more importantly, how do we stop?

There was a lot of fascinating research to delve into and if you struggle with Present Bias like me, I encourage you to read the whole thing. But I’ll leave you with two of my personal favourite mental hacks here:

First, start thinking about your goals in terms of weeks, days, or even hours rather than months or years.

Studies show that when we think about future events in terms of days rather than years, the events feel like they’re happening sooner. As a result, we’re more likely to take action now rather than putting it off for later.

(The blog Wait But Why has an incredibly disconcerting chart that visualizes a life-time in weeks. It’s a powerful reminder that the future will become the present much faster than we think.)

Second, re-frame activities in terms of their immediate rewards rather than long-term ones.

Exercising daily has long-term health benefits, but it also leaves you with an immediate feeling of accomplishment, less stress, and greater mental clarity for the rest of the day.

Similarly, facing down a particularly anxiety-inducing task may have long-term benefits for your company or career, but no matter how things turn out in the long run, you’ll feel an immediate sense of accomplishment and relief for getting it done.

Studies show that enjoyment in the pursuit of a goal predicts people’s goal persistence far more than how important they rated their goal to be. The more immediate you can make the benefit of an activity, the more Present Bias will work in your favour.

What procrastination-busting strategies have you found most effective? Hit reply and tell me about them!

An interesting article and metrics:

1 Like

Getting Things Done

If you dive into the wild world of personal productivity advice, sooner or later you’re going to come across David Allen’s book Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity .

Getting Things Done outlines “GTD”, a method of personal organization that builds “the new mental skills needed in an age of multitasking and overload”, growing from a productivity method into a global movement.

In a chaotic world with ever-increasing demands on our time and attention, Allen’s methodology promises nothing less than a complete sense of calm and control over your life. Who doesn’t want that?

The problem is, GTD is complicated. At one point in the book, Allen states “The right amount of complexity is whatever creates optimal simplicity”. But often complexity just creates more complexity. Many a GTDer has found that maintaining their system becomes a project unto itself.

I’ve tried to GTD several times over the years. I’ve never kept it up for more than a month. Yet, I can still say that Getting Things Done is one of a small handful of books that has literally changed my life. Here are three GTD principles that I believe everyone should know about, whether you adopt Allen’s system in its entirety or not:

1. Don’t keep track of your “incompletes” in your head

At the crux of GTD is the insight that our brains continually remind us about our pending commitments, even when we can’t do anything about them (see the Zeigarnik Effect). This mental tension creates a background level of stress in our lives, making it all the harder to get anything done.

GTD asks you to take all of the stuff rattling around in your brain — “all the things you consider incomplete in your world — that is, anything personal or professional, big or little, of urgent or minor importance, that you think ought to be different than it currently is and that you have any level of internal commitment to changing” — and write it down in a place that you will review daily.

You might be thinking: Allen’s brilliant idea is to… keep a to-do list? Fair enough. But his description is a radically different way of thinking about the true purpose of a task list. After reading Getting Things Done, I started to see my to-do list not (just) as a way to remind myself what needs doing, but as a tool for mental clarity, focus, and even self-care. Viewed this way, I’m motivated to make time for it especially when I feel like I don’t have the time.

2. Follow the Two-Minute Rule

Here’s an in-depth article on Allen’s Two-Minute Rule that I highly recommend, but here’s the essence of it: If a task will take two minutes or less to do, do it right away.

“Often it’s small tasks that pile up on our to-do lists, fill us with dread, and eventually feel insurmountable. Generally speaking, responding to an email, watering a plant, tidying your desk, filing a receipt, or wiping down a mirror are all tasks you can complete in 120 seconds or less. But, taken together and left to collect, they add up to a laundry list of chores that we continually put off. As a result, we spend more time and energy thinking about how we haven’t done them yet and feeling guilty about it than we would have spent just doing the things in the first place.”

Bottom line: If a task takes less than two minutes, it’s not worth thinking about doing it and then thinking about not having done it and then thinking about doing it again. Just do it.

3. Constantly ask yourself “What’s the next physical action?”

We tend to think about our commitments in vague terms: Clean the garage, do my taxes, attend the conference. The problem is, when you set out to do a task like “clean the garage”, you still have to decide where exactly you’ll start, which makes it harder to get started at all.

From Getting Things Done:

“If you haven’t identified the next physical action required to kick-start [a task or project], there will be a psychological gap every time you think about it even vaguely. You’ll tend to resist noticing it, which leads to procrastination. When you get to a phone or to your computer, you want to have all your thinking completed so you can use the tools you have and the location you’re in to more easily get things done, having already defined what there is to do.”*

Here are some examples Allen gives of possible next actions:

• Clean the garage → Call John re: refrigerator in the garage
  • Do my taxes → Waiting for documents from Acme Trust
  • Attend the conference → E-mail Sandra re: press kits for the conference

When you start thinking about your to-do list in terms of the next, physical action, it becomes a lot less intimidating to get started. (I make use of Todoist, and I find sub-tasks are incredibly handy for defining next actions).

There are many more productivity gems in Getting Things Done that make it well worth the read. I think everyone should attempt to GTD at least once in their lives. You’re bound to learn a lot whether you stick with it or not.

Just thought I would share some insights and findings that I have found to help me in this chaos of work and life and providing me to build systems that work for me. Share some of your thoughts and systems that work for you.

1 Like

How NOT to do productivity

I’m good

1 Like

Amateurs

4 Likes

Clean.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve mentioned the 2-minute rule here before and this came up on my recommendations so thought I would share.

And then on that, and a book I would like to get eventually is Atomic Habits and here’s a nice little sumised video on that:

1 Like

@Beo I HIGHLY recommend you start listening to the Cortex podcast. They frequently talk about productivity workflows, apps and tools. Also CGP Grey is awesome to listen to.

1 Like

Great, thanks for sharing. I’ll have a look for it on Apple Podcasts.

I haven’t posted here in a while and frankly, my productivity has taken a dive while my procrastination increased. I’ve had a lot going on lately and sometimes feel like I don’t have my shit together while I am stressed, overwhelmed and feel like I’m drowning.

The thing about “getting your shit together” is that you think it’s going to be a one-time event: I do not have my shit together. → I will learn the secret of getting my shit together. → I will then have my shit together henceforth and forevermore.

Unfortunately, that’s…not how it works. At least in my experience.

There are times when I feel like I have everything figured out: I’m doing my weekly reviews, planning my time and energy around my priorities, and completing my to-do list by 5pm every day. I feel invincible.

And there are times when everything feels like it’s falling apart. My to-do list is overwhelming, so, naturally, I ignore it. Instead of doing deep work on my most important task first thing in the morning, I check Twitter, I sometimes end an eight-hour workday without having accomplished anything of significance and yet somehow still feel exhausted. (Heck, I can ricochet between those two feelings multiples times a week. :upside_down_face:)

Telling someone who already feels overwhelmed and paralyzed how to create a system for organizing their lives is like giving a drowning person the blueprint for building a boat. Not super helpful.

The systems, advice, and tools that you need when you’re at the helm of the ship headed for the horizon aren’t necessarily the ones you need when you’ve fallen overboard and are barely keeping your head above water. At that point, you don’t need a map, a compass, or a better ship — you need a lifesaver.

Enter the advice of David Parker from his book The More You Do, The Better You Feel .

Parker struggled with anxiety and depression for years. On the advice of a friend, he started keeping a feelings journal. Over time, he began noticing a connection between the tasks he was putting off and his feelings of depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem.

Unsurprisingly, the worse he felt, the more he procrastinated. But the relationship actually felt stronger in reverse: The more he procrastinated the worse he felt. Armed with that insight, he devised a method for trading his procrastinating habit with a doing habit. He called his system the Just One Thing or J.O.T. Method.

Here’s how it works:

1. Take a pen or pencil and turn to a blank page of a notebook.
  2. Write today’s date in the upper left-hand corner.
  3. Think of one simple task that you’ve been putting off. Write it down underneath the date.
  4. Do that task and only that task. Don’t write out a to-do list. It’s easy to let yourself get distracted by all of the other undone tasks you aren’t doing. Just do the one thing you wrote down.
  5. Once it’s done, draw a thin line through the task so that you can still read it, but you know it’s complete.
  6. Repeat steps 3-5.

The goal of J.O.T. isn’t to get more stuff done. Or even to get more of the “right” stuff done. Instead, the aim is to break the procrastination-paralysis loop right now by proving to yourself that you are, in fact, capable of following through and taking action. As the title of the book states, the more you do, the better you’ll feel. And the better you feel, the more you’ll feel capable of taking on.

At some point, you may even find yourself safe and dry back on deck, in the right headspace to set goals, organize and prioritize your Todoist tasks, conduct weekly reviews, plan out your days the night before, GTD, time block, and all the other productivity best practices out there. If (when) you start to feel yourself slipping, don’t panic. Simply come back to focus on Just One Thing.

Remember that no matter how overwhelmed and paralyzed you feel, you’re always one small action away from being back on the right track.

3 Likes

My wife and I are masterful procrastinators as well. Less so at work - if she procrastinates too much, people die (:roll_eyes:), I have rolling reporting deadlines. But at home we can put small maintenance tasks off for months.

We both suffer from anxiety to some degree, I get imposter syndrome on a daily basis, she gets bouts of insomnia, and we’re really good at convincing ourselves that we work hard; we’re allowed to rest and not do the things we planned to tackle.

She made a great suggestion recently, that she read in some study. Try convincing yourself to spend just 3 minutes on a task. Getting started on those 3 minutes apparently gets your mind going on the rest of the task well enough, that you manage to get some momentum going.

I convinced myself to spend 3 minutes on this post, so I’ve got that as evidence! :smiley:

5 Likes

I can completely get behind that. Much like the two-minute rule as highlighted above, it’s about doing the simplest or quickest tasks in order to get traction and momentum. We can’t discount the psychological benefits of the “checkmark” and the dopamine spike we get from completing something or by simply marking something as done. It’s quite freeing.

3 Likes

A very interesting article from Becky, and I think something that @Shrike (and even myself) can resonate with.

2 Likes

Some useful tidbits herein, taken a few ideas away and already putting into practice and noticing a difference.

3 Likes

I’ll watch it later.

Hue hue hue

3 Likes

Bitesize.

3 Likes

Added it to my “Watch Later” list … :grin:

7 Likes

I found this highly insightful and interesting. If there’s anyone else out there like me…

3 Likes

I literally watched that yesterday evening during loadshedding. It popped up on my recommended and I thought give it a watch. Gotta agree though, it can be a form of procrastination.

1 Like