The Witcher: The Netflix Series

Not directly The Witcher but it is Henry Cavill defending fans.

4 Likes

Ugh. Once again the headlines and video titles don’t do justice to the question or Cavill’s response.

(Then again, I shouldn’t have expected better from TheQuartering.)

The question was, if you break it down, whether Cavill sees a parallel between the abuse Geralt endures and the abuse entertainers and showrunners face from fans, when said fans don’t like the way something was handled in their fandom.

Cavill handles the question expertly by explaining that the backlash entertainers face is not nearly on the same level as the kind of bigotry Geralt faces.

“The comparison is more meta. It’s more to do with xenophobia and sexism and colonialism, and all those effects it has on people.”

He goes on: “Who they [the ordinary people] divert their fear and energy towards tends to be Geralt, because he’s a guy who exists outside of society, he’s not part of a group when he walks into town, and he looks so different from everyone else and no-one can control him. … You can’t control him, you fear him, and therefore all of your energy, especially in a crowd of people, will be diverted at him because of everything that’s happening above you in the world.”

3 Likes

While the videos following the “toxic fandom” question to Cavill (and TheQuartering in general) rubs me the wrong way, there is one great thing that I think everyone agrees on: Henry Cavill is a fantastic ambassador for gamers.

Here he is, facing (another) question about the fact that he doesn’t look like a stereotypical gamer. Like the Jake Hamilton interview, Cavill handles the question with grace:

Rich Eisen: I know I might be offending people out there when I say that when I think of gamers, I think of a guy in his sweats, you know some chips, Fritos, sitting around…

Henry Cavill: All things I like — Sweats, chips, Fritos.

Eisen: Seriously? Really?

Cavill: Yeah. Absolutely.

Eisen: OK.

Cavill: I mean, not all the time. laughs

Eisen: No, I understand, clearly not.

Amazing through how many hoops you have to jump nowadays to avoid saying words like “fat”.

Let me, for the record, state that as an overweight gamer guy, I really don’t mind people using the word “fat”.

6 Likes

Henry Cavill is a pretty refreshing guy to listen to.

6 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Can he please narrate the audio books?

3 Likes

Ask him on twitter :smiley:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Go! Go! Go!

4 Likes

Oh shit, I know what I’m doing this weekend.

3 Likes

On it! Shall I live blog the experience?

3 Likes

You absolutely should! But only in draft form until we’ve all had a chance to watch it ourselves :slight_smile: I ain’t reading your spoiler laced ramblings until then!

3 Likes

AND GIRLS!!!

4 Likes

That’s like so 4 hours ago bruh. Get with the times.

4 Likes

I have slow internet. News takes its time…

4 Likes

Watching it now :smiley:

2 Likes

Holy dam Episode 3 is insane.

4 Likes

Watched EP1 so far. Not bad at all actually. And if the guy above could be believed, I guess it get’s better.

4 Likes

What a great start to the series! Absolute fan service right there and Henry nails the role of Geralt. I’m not too clued up on the books, but his likeness to Witcher 3’s Geralt is uncanny, even the way he talks!

6 Likes