The Witcher: The Netflix Series

It feels like this is going to need an official topic. Some basic info about The Witcher show that Netflix has developed:

Based on the best-selling fantasy series of books, The Witcher is an epic tale of fate and family. Geralt of Rivia, a solitary monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts. But when destiny hurtles him toward a powerful sorceress, and a young princess with a dangerous secret, the three must learn to navigate the increasingly volatile Continent together.

Key point: the show is based on the books, not the games.

Next, here are some of the people involved…

• Showrunner: Lauren Schmidt Hissrich
  • Main cast
    • Geralt: Henry Cavill
    • Yennefer: Anya Cholatra
    • Ciri: Freya Allan
  • Additional cast
    • Jodhi May: Calanthe
    • Björn Hlynur Haraldsson: Eist
    • Adam Levy: Mousesack,
    • MyAnna Buring: Tissaia
    • Mimi Ndiweni: Fringilla
    • Therica Wilson-Read: Sabrina
    • Emma Appleton: Renfri
    • Eamon Farren: Cahir
    • Joey Batey: Jaskier
    • Lars Mikkelsen: Stregobor
    • Royce Pierreson: Istredd
    • Maciej MusiaĹ‚: Sir Lazlo
    • Wilson Radjou-Pujalte: Dara
    • Anna Shaffer: Triss.

(Continuing the discussion from The Witcher Netflix series gets more information.)

6 Likes
8 Likes

Call me a fanboy, but fuck me, that looks good.

5 Likes

yea man like people have already said it looks bad and it will be stupid. I say stuff them and give me the season already

5 Likes

Officially hyped. Any indication of when “Coming Soon™” is?

2 Likes

This panel was revealing. Cavill was 100% the right choice for this role. He’s an avid gamer, and clearly loves The Witcher series. It strikes me as similar to the situation with Deadpool and Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds just is Deadpool and he wanted the role bad.

Anyway, if you’ve got the time, watch where Cavill and Hissrich talk about how passionate he was about landing this role. Then watch him answer the question about what a Witcher is.

The panel interview itself is a bit of a mixed bag. I get the impression the interviewer was a bit nervous as some of the questions aim at answers that the actors clearly can’t answer without giving things away that they are not allowed to talk about yet.

An interesting tidbit is that Cholatra (Yen) apparently goes through a dramatic physical transformation at some point.

Some folks were worried that she looks too young for Yen, but apparently the show will spend some time on the backstories of the three major characters before bringing them together. So it makes sense for Yen to look younger in the beginning and then change later in the story.

So stoked for this. Can’t wait for it to launch.

5 Likes

Can’t wait for this. Love the games and books.

5 Likes

Happy MEW Cakeday!

3 Likes

Cavill is definitely the right man for the job. You can clearly see that he is extremely passionate about the character. The interviewer needs to chill out a bit. She’s at an 11 and she needs to be around 6 or 7. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’ve read the books you will know all about Yen’s physical transformation. I’m not sure if it will be considered a spoiler, but I’ll mark it anyway and if someone wants to know what it’s about they can just read it. Yen, like many sorceresses in the Witcher universe, was born deformed. In the case of Yen she was born a hunchback. When she became a sorceress she used magic to physically transform her appearance and get rid of her deformity. Geralt eventually realises this in the books, but he doesn’t care and loves her anyway. It is expected that sorceresses should be young and beautiful which is why they all use magic to improve their looks and look so young. Yennefer is around 102 years old (slightly older than Geralt). Triss is still young though, somewhere in her 30’s if memory serves.

6 Likes
3 Likes

The Witcher… Wheel of Time… Lord of the Rings… His Dark Materials.

I’ve died and gone to the heaven of my misspent youth.

I’m really worried my favourites aren’t enough of a hit to make it to the end, though. Everyone is trying to be the next Game of Thrones and not everyone can be.

This looks so good! I really hope they get to see it through.

3 Likes

I believe it is being released on the 17th December.
I’m super excited

2 Likes

From what I read it is 20 Dec :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

7 Likes

Much excite!

3 Likes

8 Likes

Cannot wait. This looks so damn good. I’m now sold on both Yen and Ciri.

4 Likes

Well, I hope no-one is looking for me on the 20th and 21st. I’m going to binge the whole season in one go.

3 Likes

Dang, already?

And I had to cancel my netflix this month :frowning:

1 Like

Very cool

1 Like