The Witcher: The Netflix Series

episode 4, this series is great, sleep is for the weak, and also:

spoiler

Fuck…

2 Likes

Watched it all in one go.

The ending is also a flashback in the game.

Really cool.

4 Likes

I have two episodes left. It’s a really good show. Only thing I don’t like is Triss, she doesn’t look the part and she doesn’t pull off the character. Everyone else has impressed me thus far, especially Geralt but I also really like Queen Calanthe.

2 Likes

Same the Triss actor just are not doing it, something is just off I tried giving her a chance but something I can’t put my finger on it is just off.

3 Likes

anyone else’s netflix freeze at around 5:39min left in the episode?

2 Likes

?? Never had anything like that. That’s very weird. Every episode? How are you watching?

2 Likes

Loved it. Agree that Henry Cavill does Geralt justice, from the look to the voice.

Also agreed that I didn’t like the performance of the lady who plays Triss. Maybe her lines were weak, but there’s something missing there.

I lost track of the secondary characters a bit. There were too many introduced to keep straight.

Not saying more for fear of letting slip a spoiler. Watch this show!

3 Likes

No not every episode, it only happened for a few, I can usually fix it by going back ten seconds to let it like “reload” then it works.

Watched all the episodes now, can’t wait for the next season :smiley:

2 Likes

This freaking scene was so awesome and then someone went and added the music from Witcher 3 to it and it goes to 11.

2 Likes

Ok so an opinion from someone who hasnt read the books and havent played the games.

I figured out it is a quest per episode - that was cool

I did REALLY hate the jumps from one person to another to another - at times I was completely lost and confused, same goes for the stupid timeline thing they did.

For the most part, I was ok with the acting - the Bard needs to b shot. Yen she was a little weird and way too obsessed about her womb

overall it was good to watch, just got a bit irritated here and there.

2 Likes

Series is awesome, can’t wait for season 2. Yen & Geralt is totally on point, like their book characters.

Triss doesn’t matter much in the books so no real surprise that she isn’t that great, will disappoint game only fans.

5 Likes

Triss is an important character in at least four of the five “Saga” books — Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, The Tower of the Swallow, and Lady of the Lake.

She certainly isn’t a central character, but she is an important secondary character.

That said, I’m not sure she was given the best lines to work with. If memory serves, Triss isn’t really all that fleshed out in the novels and doesn’t get a lot of dialogue, so whatever characterisation she gets in the series comes from the show’s writers.

But Triss is really a nitpick. There are several changes between the books and the show for the sake of making a great adaptation, and I liked most of them. I really liked the changes they made in the Striga story (not saying more, because spoilers).

It’s such an iconic Geralt story and it would have taken courage to tinker with it at all, but it turned out great.

On the topic of secondary characters… how good was Emma Appleton as Renfri! And Mimi Ndiweni as Fringilla!

3 Likes

6 Likes

From Reddit

8 Likes

3 Likes

https://steamcharts.com/app/292030

Well the witcher 3 game spiked :smiley: tnx to the series.

3 Likes

It only occured to me now, but you finding Jaskier annoying means he’s doing his job well. Jaskier (or Dandelion in English) is very annoying in the books (and also games). He’s also a drunk and a massive womanizer.

“Toss a coin” is pretty damn catchy and sticks in your head.

4 Likes

QFT. Geralt doesn’t want to get rid of Jaskier/Dandelion just because he’s a prickly old bastard (that too), but because the bard genuinely annoys him in the beginning.

Jaskier has to be annoying for that part of the story to work, otherwise Geralt is just an ass.

3 Likes

I finally managed to finish it this week

It was good, and yet a little bit underwhelming. At one point the series seemed to be more about Yennefer than Gerald, it’s called The Witcher, not The Yennefer
And I was a little bummed that this rendition of Gerald only knows Aard (iirc he used Axii once)
I did not like the ending. At all.

2 Likes

Excellent!

Err… I don’t know how much of this is spoilers, so I’m going to follow @MalicE’s lead and slap everything in a spoiler tag.

Grrr… the spoiler tag doesn’t support paragraphs, so I’m using the old school spoiler tag.

Spoilers

I’d be curious to see how much time was spent on Ciri, Yen, and Geralt in each episode. There was a bunch of time spent on Ciri’s backstory as well, and she isn’t nearly as old as Geralt or Yen.

That said, I don’t mind. I watched the interviews with the showrunner and cast before The Witcher’s release, so I knew that there were plans to tell the story from three perspectives rather than only seeing Ciri and Yen through Geralt’s eyes.

Regarding the lack of use of signs… I saw an interview with Henry Cavill where he said that he actually got them (the producers) to include more Witcher signs in the final scripts. Their special effects budget was very limited and so they apparently stripped the use of signs to the bare minimum. Cavill then campaigned to have more put in even if it stretches the effects budget thinner.

I don’t remember where he used Axii, but he definitely used Quen in the Striga fight — twice.

Regarding the ending: that was apparently a major departure from the books.

I haven’t read Sword of Destiny yet because I didn’t actually realise that it was the second book in the series, as it was the fifth one translated into English.

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER AHEAD YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

However, from what I’ve read online, Geralt’s return to Cintra and his first meeting with Ciri go down very differently.

I kind of liked how they did it in the show, though. They briefly trick you into believing that Geralt and Ciri are going to miss one another by seconds. Not sure Ciri should have hugged him, though. She doesn’t know him from Adam and has already been tricked by a doppler once.

1 Like