Today Is... 📆

The Fibonacci Sequence will always remind me of my Opa (Dutch spelling). I remember him showing me the sequence with great excitement but I was a bit too young at the time to really understand it, or at least appreciate how amazing its prevalence in nature is.

3 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It is Wednesday, 24 November 2021
(W47 | D328 | 37 rem)

Today is: :star: Evolution Day :gorilla:

Evolution Day is a celebration to commemorate the anniversary of the initial publication of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin on 24 November 1859.

Charles Darwin, an English naturalist, established that all species have descended over time from common ancestry and proposed the scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called Natural Selection.

Charles Robert Darwin was born in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England on February 12, 1809 at his family home, the Mount. He was the fifth of six children of a wealthy society doctor and financier Robert Darwin and Susannah Darwin.

Darwin’s book, On the Origin of Species was published on November 24, 1859, which is why this day is celebrated as Evolution Day.

It is the work of scientific literature which is considered to be the foundation of evolutionary biology. Its full title was On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. For the sixth edition of 1872, the short title was changed to On the Origin of Species.

Darwin’s book introduced the scientific theory that populations evolve over the course of generations through a process of natural selection. It presented evidence that the diversity of life arose by common descent through a branching pattern of evolution.

Before developing his theories and writing this book, Darwin spent five years on HMS Beagle. The Beagle sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, and then carried out detailed hydrographical surveys around the coast of the southern part of South America, returning via Tahiti and Australia after having circumnavigated the Earth.

Darwin spent most of the time on land investigating geology and making natural history collections, while the Beagle surveyed and charted coasts.

Puzzled by the geographical distribution of wildlife and fossil, he collected on the voyage. Darwin began detailed investigations and in 1838 conceived his theory of natural selection. His work established him as an eminent geologist, biologist, and naturalist and the publication of his journal of the voyage made him famous as a popular author.

By highlighting Darwin’s contributions to science, the day’s events are used to educate about evolutionary biology. It is similar to the better-known Darwin Day, held on the anniversary of his birth (12 February 1809).

Go ape with life today - you’re just an advanced monkey after all! :gorilla::+1::grinning:

1 Like

Sacrilege.

1 Like

:wave: Good morning! :cloud:

It is Thursday, 25 November 2021
(W47 | D329 | 36 rem)

Today is: :star: Blasé Day :expressionless:

Unimpressed by pumpkin spice everything? Tired of everyone carrying on about Forza Horizon 5? It’s okay to be blasĂ© about it today. Heard the same pop song for the 4th time today? Be blasĂ©. Nothing on TV tonight? Just be blasĂ©. Bored by your friend’s team winning their 266th game in a row? Yep, you got it. Whether it’s that 20 page Christmas letter, your mom’s constant picture taking, or the fifth night of leftover pizza, you can be blasĂ©.

Blasé Day is celebrated annually on 25 November to praise the eccentric thought of being blasé about anything that you are not impressed about.

Blasé means neutral, indifferent, even impassive. A person who has seen a few astounding shows like Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas may be blasé about a modest circus at a small county fair. Someone who has done a lot of dangerous tricks may be blasé about things others find startling.

BlasĂ© is just bland and boring at the end of the day. It’s a regular “been there, done that” sort of thing.

BlasĂ©, a French word, is the previous participle of blasĂ©r, a word that dates to the 17th century which signifies “to satiate.” That word may come from the Dutch word blazen, which signifies “blown up ,” which meant to be “puffed up under the effects of drinking.”

BlasĂ© Day was established by Thomas & Ruth Roy of Wellcat Holidays. The term “blasĂ©â€ came from the French word which means to be impassive, unimpressed, or bored with something as it has been watched or experienced previously, or was just uninteresting.

BlasĂ© Day suggests we enjoy the “meh” and undesirable occurrences in our lives by being blasĂ© about them. You shouldn’t be attentive to all that happens to you or around you. Some of the time it’s alright to feel blasĂ© about things that are outside your ability to control. Everybody feels blasĂ© about something. Apathy comes as a natural defense mechanism to keep us from considering things that may cause us an excess of pain, or when we are stressed or disappointed.

Even though being blasĂ© is something we can’t dodge once in a while, living in a totally blasĂ© state is not a healthy attitude. If somebody shows signs of apathy for a long time, it very well may be a deeper mental and social issue. Don’t hesitate to express your blasĂ© feelings with friends and family or visit your therapist if you’re actually still feeling blasĂ© long after BlasĂ© Day.

BlasĂ© Day. I’m right there with you today! :expressionless::+1::grinning:

4 Likes

I’m pretty indifferent to this day.

I’ll take one of those meh. buttons please

4 Likes

It is Friday, 26 November 2021
(W47 | D330 | 35 rem)

Today is: :star: Buy Nothing Day

When was the last time you went a whole day without buying anything? In this day and age, is it actually possible to buy nothing for twenty four hours? Supporters of Buy Nothing Day think it is.

At its core, Buy Nothing Day is a protest against the consumerism the organizers felt was necessary in our world, governed by the need to “have things”.

Buy Nothing Day is a pretty significant day, which is celebrated by a lot of people all around the world. It is essentially a global day of protest against consumerism and is all about drawing attention to the issue of overconsumption.

Buy Nothing Day was founded in Vancouver, Canada by artist Ted Dave in September of 1992. It is celebrated on the Friday after American Thanksgiving (the day also infamously known as ‘Black Friday’).

It is considered a day for society to assess the overconsumption problem. It was not until 1997 that a lot of countries decided to move the date to the Friday following American Thanksgiving, i.e. Black Friday. This is one of the world’s busiest shopping dates, so holding it on this date obviously has a very symbolic meaning.

Anyone who has ever seen what happens in North America (and increasingly, in other parts of the world, including here in South Africa) during the Black Friday sales understands all too well why it was high time that we take a step back and look at ourselves, our behavior, and contemplate the meaning of all of the Black Friday madness.

Soon after Buy Nothing Day was created, campaigns to have a similar day of reflection started appearing in the United States, the United Kingdom, Israel, Austria, Germany, New Zealand, Japan, the Netherlands, France, and Norway. More than 65 nations currently participate in it.

Adbusters, a company responsible for the inital promotion of Ted Dave’s idea for Buy Nothing Day, states that the day “isn’t just about changing your habits for one day” but “about starting a lasting lifestyle commitment to consuming less and producing less waste.”

Wether you’re doing it as Black or as Buy Nothing, have a great Friday! :+1::grinning:

Know More:

2 Likes

Hahahahaha

3 Likes

On black Friday? That’s unlikely.

1 Like

People love to protest. Consumerism is an exercise in excess. That can never be a good thing. I do see so many specials though :joy:

2 Likes

Luckily this year I dont need anything, so I will just go work in a shop with all the people spending money on black Friday.

My boss posted this on FB :smiley: I HATE Black Friday!
As a business owner it’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t. How did Americas stupid ideas become such a thing here?
Consumers spend money they don’t have and go into the festive season in debt. Shops try pawn off old stock and take losses on current stock. November and December sales are quiet because everyone bought on Black Friday.
This is madness

1 Like

Better get used to “buying nothing”.

You will own nothing, and you will be happy.

Or something

3 Likes

So far so good
 but I am eyeing some specials on SSDs

3 Likes

No shame in that - a new SSD is a sensible purchase that will help both your productivity and playtime. Nothing wrong with that if you can find a decent deal. At least it’s not some frivolous nonsense that you can easily do without.

2 Likes

It is Saturday, 27 November 2021
(W47 | D331 | 34 rem)

Today is: :star: Pins and Needles Day

Pins and Needles Day does not have its origins in what you think!

Though when we say ‘pins and needles’ today, you’ll think of that tingly feeling you get when your leg goes to sleep, the original Pins and Needles Day started up in 1937 to commemorate the opening of the pro-Labour musical play of the same name on Broadway. The production would eventually have a massive 1108 performance run.

The Broadway play was produced by the International Ladies Garment Workers’ Union, and told the story of a group of workers holding down a job during the American Labour movement.

It first graced the stage from 1937 to 1940, but did appear again in 1978 and appeared on London stages as recently as 2010.

The cast of the original production was made up of sewing machine workers, cutters and basters who simply wanted to do something a little creative in their free time – the play would end up being so successful that the cast members - who up until then were only able to rehearse at weekends – were able to quit their day jobs and take part in a full 8-weekly show performance schedule.

Pins and Needles was written by Harold Rome, a true Renaissance man who played piano in local dance bands while writing music, studying architecture, and pursuing a law degree at the prestigious Yale University. He brought all of those skills together when he produced Pins and Needles, and created a legend that would live on through the ages while pursuing a form of social justice little heard of its time.

Perhaps Pins and Needles Day would be a good opportunity to listen to the musical’s soundtrack, revisit some old musicals from the 1930s and 40s, or even read up on the history of the International Ladies Garment Worker’s Union – once one of the largest labour unions in the USA.

Have a super Saturday! :+1::grinning:

Know More:

2 Likes

I guess I could cut off more circulation today or sit with my legs crossed

1 Like

It is Sunday, 28 November 2021
(W47 | D332 | 33 rem)

Today is: :star: French Toast Day

One amazing blend of foods is perfectly able to make a morning fantastic, and it’s a blending of eggs, milk, and cinnamon with bread dipped in. There’s something about the savory-sweet smell of it, and the anticipation of having it painted with butter and drizzled with syrup, with a side of breakfast sausage or bacon and a tall glass of orange juice. The promise of this deliciousness will help to get a person out of bed on even the worst of days.

French Toast Day is one that honours this amazing breakfast delight and encourages everyone to enjoy it for breakfast (or lunch, or even dinner!) either alone or with a few friends or family members.

The breakfast favourite French toast goes by many names depending on where it is being served up. Some of the few fun names include eggy bread, German toast, poor knights’ pudding, or Bombay toast. But no matter what it is called, this delicious food is always made of the same key ingredients: whipped egg, milk – or cream – and bread.

This tasty sweet snack is also often served with sugar or syrup and fruit, or perhaps a bit of powdered sugar sprinkled on top, and consists of bread slices that are fried in a mixture of milk and egg–with the all-important cinnamon thrown into the mixture as well.

In France, its name is ‘pain perdu’, which literally means ‘lost bread’, because it would often be made with stale or old bread. Although most people tend to call it French Toast, the dish isn’t necessarily known to have come from France.

Some ancient Latin recipes from the 4th-century mention soaking bread in milk before frying, and in fourteenth Century Germany the term ‘poor knights’ pudding’ was coined for the sweet treat because it was seen as an affordable meal for those without too much money to spend. Today, it’s eaten across the world as a breakfast meal or a sweet snack.

In Italy, there’s a savory version of this dish, called ‘mozzarella en carrozza’, which calls for the egg-soaked bread to include slices of mozzarella cheese before they are fried. This name literally means ‘mozzarella in a carriage’. So, in this case, it’s actually possible to have eggy bread for a main meal, as well as for dessert!

For a fun departure from the usual, consider taking French Toast to another level by adding interesting ingredients. Some ideas include adding orange or lemon zest, spices such as nutmeg, or a bit of brown sugar.

Try out these clever recipes or get creative in the kitchen and come up with some of your own:

• Pancakes in Paris French Toast. Using brioche bread for the toast, this recipe incorporates the normal ingredients, plus adds some thick banana slices on top.
  • Baked Blueberry Mascarpone French Toast. Tear up pieces of french toast, pile into a baking dish with frozen blueberries, mascarpone cheese mixed with powdered sugar, and drizzle over some french toast batter. Bake to perfection!
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast. A fun twist on a classic. Make up some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, dip them in a favorite french toast batter and fry them up!

It’s French Toast Sunday everyone! Yum! :+1::grinning:

3 Likes

Not even an honorable mention of yours truly?

2 Likes

Have I not posted my French toast successes and recipes? I was sure I had.

3 Likes