Today Is... 📆

I am left handed, and using scissors suck, also very difficult to find left handed scissors. I also actually use my mouse with my right hand and not my left, my grade 1 teacher actually tried to get me to use my left hand on the mouse, but because I had been playing games before then in a family full of right handers, I was already used to using my right hand, interestingly, my sister-in-law who is also left handed cannot use the mouse in her right hand and only in her left.

1 Like

I found that extremely interesting and insightful, thank you for sharing. :pray:t2:

1 Like

Left hander representing!

I’m also a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to favouring a hand. Write left handed, prefer cutting with my right. In sports I use a combination. When I played volleyball I served with my left and spiked with my right. Cricket: Bowl and throw = left, bat = right. Golf = right. I also use the mouse in my right.

Like most left handers I am a genius though :grin:

2 Likes

I feel it necessary to point out that aside from US born players, right-handed ice hockey players play with left-handed sticks (and vice versa).

2 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud_with_snow:

It is Saturday, 14 August 2021
(W32 | D226 | 139 rem)

Today is: :star: Tattoo Removal Day

A day of pained winces and fresh starts, Tattoo Removal Day laments the inks of the past and celebrates a cleaner look.

Ever immediately regretted a tattoo that you thought would be an excellent idea at the time? Or perhaps you got caught up in the hype and made a reckless decision on Tattoo Day. Whatever your woe, Tattoo Removal Day is here to say that mistakes need not be permanent.

In part, Tattoo Removal Day rose directly in response to Tattoo Day. With thousands of people unceremoniously inking themselves up came an annual uptick of regret. It’s no coincidence that Tattoo Removal Day tends to happen not too long after Tattoo Day.

In fact, Tattoo Removal Day has been traditionally celebrated one month, or thirty whole days after Tattoo Day since that’s the first day that you’re allowed to remove a tattoo after it has been applied.

More significantly, Tattoo Removal Day is also positioned exactly six months before next Valentine’s Day, addressing one of the most common causes of wanting a tattoo removed: heartbreak. With jilted lovers and newly independent solo adventurers also comes a host of tattoos that are suddenly a reminder that we don’t want rather than a celebration of enduring love.

Tattoo Removal Day is recognized on August 14 because it is six months prior to Valentine’s Day, which is typically how long it takes to remove an unwanted name tattoo. Most medium, black ink script tattoos, like an ex-partner’s name, can start laser tattoo removal treatment on August 14 and be completely removed by Valentine’s Day.

However, the day grew to be more than a tongue-in-cheek response to another marked day of the calendar. It also came to draw awareness of the millions of people with unwanted ink that there are, indeed, ways to remove it as well as practitioners who can do it safely.

There are plenty of people regretting a tattoo and still not enough people realise that there are providers who can do it for them. As such, spreading awareness of a safe, healthy method done by a licensed professional can prevent people from taking those efforts into their own hands.

Tattoo Removal Day is the perfect opportunity for individuals to finally remove their unwanted ink and for laser tattoo removal providers to offer special promotions. Laser tattoo removal can also be celebrated by patients that have already removed an unwanted tattoo by posting their before and after photos.

So, anyone carrying ink around that they now regret getting? Or just a tattoo that you no longer feel comfortable having? Anyone ever had something removed already? Share your tales of tattoo remorse with the us on this cold and bleak Saturday. :+1::grinning:

Know More:

1 Like

:wave: Good morning! :cloud:

It is Sunday, 15 August 2021
(W32 | D227 | 138 rem)

Today is: :star: Lemon Meringue Pie Day

Lemons just seem to be refreshing and delightful, no matter what kind of creative things are made with them–lemonade, lemon vinaigrette, lemon drizzle cake or lemon sorbet ice cream. It’s so easy to use lemons in all sorts of delicious culinary explorations to make life just a bit more interesting.

But along those lines of naming things made with lemony goodness comes one of the favorites: Lemon Meringue Pie Day! Lemon meringue pie is probably one of the most famous of lemon desserts. And it’s really no wonder, considering that it has a deliciously crispy golden crust, a tangy custard center and a fluffy meringue topping. Yum!

In fact, lemon meringue pie is one of the most popular pies in Great Britain as well as America. It sits alongside other delicious classics such as apple, pumpkin and pecan pies. So for people who have never tasted or made a lemon meringue pie, or those who just feel like an excuse to enjoy its sweet tanginess, celebrate Lemon Meringue Pie with the world today!

A brief peek into culinary history reveals that lemon flavored custards, puddings and pies have been enjoyed since at least Medieval times. But the art of the actual meringue that goes on top of this delicious pie seems to have been perfected in the 17th century in France.

Even after that, the two were not actually combined together in this ideal union until lemon meringue pie was lovingly created sometime around the 19th-century.

Exactly who made this pie for the first time is debatable, but some people believe that the pie originated in Victorian England, where it was sometimes known as Lemon Chester Pudding. In fact, Lemon Chester Pudding is considered to be one of the desserts that introduced many people the world over to the beauty British desserts in general.

Other people tend to attribute the creation of the Lemon Meringue Pie to a Mrs. Elizabeth Goodfellow, the proprietress of a pastry shop in Philadelphia who also ran the first cooking school in America. Although the idea for a fluffy topping made from sweetened and flavored egg whites goes back a couple hundred years prior to this, the concept of adding meringue to the top of a lemon custard pie was a decidedly 19th century invention.

The first mention of Lemon Meringue Pie in a cookbook was in 1869 but often, during that time, these custard pies were also referred to as “lemon cream pie”.

For those who like to cook or are up for a little challenge, try making it in the kitchen at home! (And share the pics and recipe you use to The Baking Pan please.)

The lemon custard is not particularly difficult to make, with the most important ingredient being grated lemon zest. And the trick to making a good meringue is using well-beaten egg whites. Checkout the couple of local recipes linked below for some guidance if you need. And as always, if you do, show off the results of your efforts please!

A delicious, thick slice of lemon meringue pie on Sunday? Don’t mind if I do. :+1::grinning:

Know More:

2 Likes

Ah, dammit. I had Lemon Meringue yesterday.

2 Likes

That’s close enough to count - it was probably today somewhere on the planet at the time :smiley:

1 Like

Curse you.

2 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :partly_sunny:

It is Monday, 16 August 2021
(W33 | D228 | 137 rem)

Today is: :star: World Bratwurst Day

A little “@z1oc hype!” today in celebration of his recent move to Germany…

While it’s certain that we’ve all had our share of sausages in our day, particularly that low-born sheath of processed meat known as the frankfurter, not everyone has had the pleasure of enjoying a bratwurst. Bratwurst is typically made from pork, but can, in fact, be made from any meat, and World Bratwurst Day celebrates every variety you can conceive of.

Bratwurst is a sausage that is heavily spiced, and it tends to be enjoyed either on its own with a side of sauerkraut or in a roll with mustard.

The word ‘bratwurst’ comes from two German words. The word sausage is ‘wurst’ and then ‘braten’ means to fry. Pretty self-explanatory, right?

Bratwursts have been around since the 14th century. These sausages are typically made from beef, veal, or pork. These sausages are so popular that there have even been festivals created in their honor, and most people like to wash bratwursts down with a cold beer.

You may assume that a bratwurst and a sausage are both the same things, but that is not the case. A Bratwurst is a specific kind of fresh link sausage, which is made with veal or pork. However, sausage simply refers to ground meat being prepared in a certain way. Some people also assume that bratwursts and hot dogs are the same. Hot dog casing is a lot thinner than the casings that are utilized for bratwurst and other types of fresh link sausages.

Very traditional recipes for bratwurst call on the use of both eggs and cream in their preparation. However, it is important to note that different regions in Germany have different recipes. Bratwurst even differs in some regions of the United States as well, for example, in Wisconsin, Sheboygan-style bratwursts are very popular.

Sausage is quite ancient, going back as far as 228AD according to archaeological evidence, but the noble Bratwurst has only been around since 1313. Every region has a different variety of bratwurst to call its own, with over 40 varieties coming from within the country of Germany.

Throughout Germany Bratwurst are perceived as more of a snack food than a main dish, though they can often be found served in the latter capacity at pubs, usually with sauerkraut or potato salad and a dense rye bread or pretzel. New York City may have hot dog vendors, but Germany has Bratwurst carts!

The varieties that come from Franconia date back to the first bratwursts, and are usually heavily laden with marjoram as a seasoning. These bratwursts tend to be large and filled with coarsely ground meat which lends them an overall juicier texture and flavor. While those from the city of Corburg only use salt, pepper, nutmeg, and lemon zest.

World Bratwurst Day celebrates all these and the hundreds of other varieties available, and encourages us to explore the culinary world of the Brat and see what our taste buds can find!

So @z1oc, your mission today, should you choose to accept it, is to find and enjoy a genuine German bratwurst in Germany on our behalf. Help make our Monday a little tastier. :+1::grinning:

4 Likes

Mission accepted

3 Likes

Mission Impossible theme plays. Hype intensifies! He’s going in folks!

2 Likes

No store was making it close by so I ended up doing it my self almost forgot to take a picture ><

mission complete

4 Likes

That looks like the wurst!

3 Likes

Don’t be a brat!

4 Likes

OK Mom.

3 Likes

Legend! And now I want my own too!
:drooling_face:

1 Like

:wave: Good morning! :partly_sunny:

It is Tuesday, 17 August 2021
(W33 | D229 | 138 rem)

Today is: :star: Vanilla Custard Day

There is nothing quite so delicious as Vanilla custard, the rich creamy texture, the light and delicious vanilla flavor, it’s just the perfect ending to any day. Custards are one of the most amazing desserts and have been eaten on their own, used to fill pies, and even injected into donuts. Vanilla Custard Day celebrates this delicious treat.

The custard traces its ancestry back to the days of Ancient Rome, and Custard Tarts were incredibly popular in the Middle Ages. While vanilla custard is a delicious treat, custards weren’t just made as a dessert! You could find fruit custards, fish and meat custards, just about anything you could think of! Custards were truly a diverse type of food well loved throughout the ages.

There’s a lot of different ways to enjoy your vanilla custard, and it can be just amazing with toppings. Whether it’s a simple scoop of whipped cream or a sprinkling of raspberries, the subtle flavor of vanilla compliments many different food types. What can you come up with for a dessert? A strawberry vanilla custard pie? Ice cream with vanilla custard? Vanilla Custard Day is your chance to get creative!

Here’s Jamie Oliver’s easy peasy vanilla custard recipe:

And while your homemade custard is undoubtedly delicious, we are fortunate enough in South Africa to have a wonderful alternative for those who don’t have the time or skill to make their own: Ultra Mel Vanilla Custard deserves to have a place in everyone’s kitchen!

May your Tuesday be just as smooth and delicious as a good vanilla custard! :+1::grinning:

4 Likes

Awesome, now can someone gimme a blikkie melk?

2 Likes

3 Likes