The Baking Tin

Seeing as we have discussions and threads around for things like dinner, bread and chocolate cake. I thought things were a bit sparse and reckon we have one dedicated topic for baking in general.

My fudge discussions are ending up everywhere, like here.

So here I reckon we can have a dedicated thread and discussion, share ideas, recipes and outcomes of the things we bake.

To kick things off, I bought some demerara sugar and plan to make this recipe this time around. I also searched that site for fudge recipes and there is quite an abundance of ways and flavours. I rate once a month should be a good healthy way to do fudge :stuck_out_tongue:

So c’mon, get sharing on your favourites or even your own. I love to try these things. I know the wife is looking for a nice banana bread recipe.

4 Likes

So yesterday I tried a slightly different recipe and method:

https://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/ultimate-fudge-recipe

And I must say, the results are beautiful. The fudge came out so smooth and crumbly, it just melts in your mouth. Not bad considering this is only the second time making fudge and with no thermometer.

3 Likes

You dun did gud!

2 Likes

So I’m gonna make another batch of fudge, hopefully this weekend. I want to try some coffee flavoured or infused fudge. Has anyone tried this or have a decent recipe for this? All the ones I seem to find include chocolate.

2 Likes

So, in my absence, my wife decided to make something out of her head with the ingredients we had around the kitchen. Y’know, the things that start going funny if you don’t have them. I got home and had this waiting for me to my surprise, it tasted so good I asked her to send me her recipe and ingredients, so her words follow, not mine :stuck_out_tongue:

The result

Ingredients and Method

Cake
2 cups of flour
One and a half teaspoon bAking powder
Half a cup sugar
Half teaspoon salt
teaspoon nutmeg
Teaspoon cinnamon
One teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon peanut butter
One and a half cup of sour milk or milk
2 eggs
2 mash banana
2 grated carrots

Vok alles saam and bake in a butter pan
For a hour on 180 degrees

Sauce
Sour milk cup
Put in pot with cup sugar add to pot boil
Add a half a lemon juice
Boil until looks like condensmilk

Taste vokin lekker hmmm
Take another teaspoon taste yum

Now pour over cake

If you have condensmilk
You can boil that and lemon juice and pour over cAke

3 Likes

I think your wide needs to publish a cookbook. Stat! :smiley:

3 Likes

So we decided to have French Toast for supper on Saturday night. Rather than just the usual bread, egg, and milk mixture, I decided to ramp it up a bit and make something a little more luxurious. The result was too good not to share.

Ingredients:

• 3 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1.5 Tbs light brown sugar
  • Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3/4 cup whole milk

Method

1. whisk together the eggs and egg yolks along with ground cinnamon, fine sea salt, light brown sugar, and grated nutmeg.
  2. Once combined, whisk in heavy cream and whole milk.
  3. Slice the desired bread (oumabrood in this recipe). Dunk the slices into the custard and let it sit for a few seconds.
  4. In a large pan greased with melted unsalted butter, lay in two slices of bread and cook/toast for 3 minutes. Flip and repeat.
  5. Place onto a plate, top with cream, and drizzle with maple syrup

3 Likes

I forgot to share this, but last weekend I decided to spoil the family a little and I made a kind of apple crumble. I made the choice to make everything myself (apart from the ingredients of course), from peeling and coring the apples to making the custard.

The result was pretty amazing if I do say so myself. I have always been afraid of making pastries so instead opted for a short of shortcrust crumble rather than a pastry.

Sadly, I don’t think I took any pics of it but I can defnet recommend trying it out for yourself.

Edit: I will likely be making another one this weekend, so watch this space.

3 Likes

Oh ya! I guess I can post the loaf I made last week.

Recipe used:

4 Likes

As promised, a little late, but better late than never :stuck_out_tongue:

Apple crumble with vanilla custard

3 Likes

So far we have baked muffins (I say we but nima did the baking)

Just one of those premix vanilla mixes from snowflake - its good, but next time we add blueberries to break the sweetness

I also made coconut ice but didn’t add enough dry materials so it took 4 days to dry out and by then we had finished the batch.

Next up will be chocolate cake for xmas and I wanna make lepelsteltjies! (aka savory cheese cookies with jam)
LEPELSTEELTJIES-225x250

3 Likes

Pro tip (not that I’m a pro), try using the muffin mix to make a cake. Comes out so much bigger and fluffy.

3 Likes

Will def try that next time - its sweet enough to be cake

Yeah, we often use muffin mixes for cupcakes and cakes alike. We just make some icing to go on top or even mix cherries or nuts into the batter before baking.

1 Like

I made a packet of cappuccino muffin mix in my rice cooker. Took two full cook sessions, but it came out really good!

2 Likes

I’m looking at some recipes, why would the filling require flour and corn flour?

2 Likes

Adding corn flour to a recipe usually means thickening needs to happen, maybe it is in your recipe to thicken the filling. Wheat flour also thickens but it does not do as much as corn flour or as easily.

3 Likes

That’s my thinking too, which is why I thought it strange to add both. I have never come across any recipe that calls for that, normally just one or the other, of course in different quantities.

1 Like

One or the other surely.

1 Like

1 Like