Virtual Photography Thread

I thought we could have a dedicated space for all the photogs who like to apply their apply their craft and skills to the virtual spaces.

Unlike the Gaming Screenshot Thread, the virtual photography space isn’t about just hitting the screenshot button and sharing something interesting, but much like real life, applying some proper photography practices, techniques, and being intentional with your shots and your subject.

These kind of pictures typically do not have any HUD or on-screen elements and while games actively support and recognise the need for photo-modes, and offer an abundance of tools and settings to apply, it is up to the player to compose their photo properly. From principles like the golden ratio, applying exposure or even apature settings.

As per the In-game Photography wiki

Game photography (also known as screenshot art and screenshot photography ) is a form of new media art, which consists of photographing video game worlds. Screenshot photography has been featured in physical art galleries around the world. The validity and legality of this art form is sometimes questioned because in-game photographers are taking photos of artwork created by the game’s designers and artists.[1] However, for the most part game photographers share the same motivations as “real life” photographers, including a desire to capture visually interesting images, preserve memories, and demonstrating technical expertise.[2]

Photography used to be a passion of mine and since I no longer have access to any camera gear and equipment, I have turned to the virtual and gaming space to perform my art. So how bout it, regardless of your skill, be it amateur or pro, how about we share some of our in-game subjects and scenes.

Watch this space as I will likely be quite active here, especially in the Forza Horizon front :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Forza Horizon 5

I had some fun yesterday out in the streets of Mexico capturing some of its wildlife in its natural environment.

7 Likes

Not nearly as prolific as @Beo, with 4 out of every 5 shots a dud. I need to check some of the in-game graphic settings to see if I can squeeze a little more quality out of things…

Critique please maestro. Also, any idea why that weird jagged edge thing is happening - check the left side of rear wheel arch - it’s really annoying.

5 Likes

Dude! I love that shot. I really like the fact that you positioned it right under the street light. That lighting hits it wonderfully, and the juxtaposition between that and the headlights is awesome. The fact that you can also see into the doors and windows of the buildings in the background gives it an authentic feel and adds to the story.

One thing I might have changed is to take the shot level. The angle throws it off a bit and makes it look uneven (granted it is). But then again, then the buildings will be skeef. :thinking:
Could have perhaps decreased the brightness and bumped the contrast some more and then balance it off with the exposure. Be careful with adding too much brightness as it can give your image a washed out look.

As a rule of thumb, try to keep your exposure >=50 and brightness <=50, rather try to start off by getting the feel from your exposure and manipulating the contrast and brightness from that. Each scene will have different settings of course, depending on the time of day and direction of the sun/light.

Not sure what exactly is going on with those jaggies though. Might want to try leave the “focus” option in the setting at 0 and use the manual focus on the point where you’re focusing and then reframe the shot. Then rather adjust the aperture and just leave the focus setting, I actually never even touch this setting.

1 Like

Forza Horizon 5

4 Likes

This topic reminded me of this Youtube series I watch a while back. Killrob is the lead dev on Automation, he’s also a photographer and has a PhD in nuclear physics lol.

I learned quite a lot through his critique of user submitted shots. He goes into exhaustive detail on what makes a good car photo, helps that he has a sense of humor too.

3 Likes

Posting with some not-Forza content!

The game has a photo-mode but Jesse’s face can’t change which results in a bit of a bland look. The depth-of-field/aperture controls don’t work well. Most of my shots were focused on the buildings, but here are a few with Jesse.

6 Likes

I love that third shot, the horizontal lines are beautiful.

1 Like

Forza Horizon 5

Spotted this beauty in the city today.

(click to enlarge)

3 Likes

Ride 4

4 Likes

Been messing around with lines and stripes and things:

Also tried it in a vertical, cropped view:

The reflections are insane

2 Likes

I like that first one. The parallel lines and the juxtaposition to the lines on the car makes for a nice break in the image. I wonder what it would look like as a true top down, and perhaps even without the smoke from the drift.

Overall, I like the image. Great attempt, I would have pumped the contrast a bit more and scaled back on the vignette.

1 Like

Not sure what magic this is, but this is a screenshot from Assetto Corsa!

4 Likes

Not as great as @Beo but I tried lol

5 Likes

Edit: Wrong thread, oops

Checking out the photo mode in

Mass Effect

2 Likes

Ride 4

2 Likes

The face of a hurt soul…

5 Likes

Sad Keanu…