Who is your fibre ISP and are they any good?

I’ve been with WA for YEARS now with minimal issues. Don’t think I’ll change anytime soon

2 Likes

I have the privilege of being in one of maybe two places in our area which has Frogfoot.

They have been amazing. The network is rock solid and the packages are dirt cheap. Installation and activationcan be expensive, but I got a deal that included the installation/activation fee.

For my ISP, I rolled the dice and switched from Vox to Mind The Speed. I now pay R895 per month for 100Mbps symmetrical uncapped FTTH.

If only my 16 year-old self could see me now!

Mind The Speed has been great. Generally responsive on e-mails, and in the one case where I’ve had to call the call centre to get their immediate attention on something, the support was good and the feedback at the end detailed.

Who are you with @Saint_Dee, who are causing you such strife?

2 Likes

My current situation is Rain 5G and backup with Afrihost LTE (also Rain from back when they offered it). Support is a nightmare with the same groundhog day loop of interactions.

My area has Metrofibre coverage though so I’m trying to figure out my options at this point.

2 Likes

Other friends of mine in Centurion have MetroFibre. They seem to have the whole town carved up between them and Openserve.

Anyway, MetroFibre is apparently quite good. They also operate their own ISP, which can make things confusing (and upsets some ISPs).

Here’s a list of ISPs on MFN’s fibre: https://metrofibre.co.za/residential/get-connected

2 Likes

Now I just have to figure out what potential hassle lays ahead of me with cancelling my 5G before I do anything drastic.

2 Likes

Rain and Afrihost should be month-to-month. Let me know if they give you any grief?

It’s a pity to hear that even Rain 5G doesn’t quite cut the mustard. 5G is supposed to be the wireless alternative to fibre.

1 Like

The worst part of Rain’s 5G is that it could be the replacement if it was consistent, because when it works it’s actually insane. I’m talking about breaching 350Mbps DL speeds, but a product that works half the time isn’t going to cut it.

2 Likes

Thread necro.

I’ll be moving soon and it is the perfect time to switch ISPs. Since Webafrica has gone all decentralised and all support is only over Whatsapp, I will not be staying with them. I’ve actually wanted to cancel with them for a while now, but didn’t want to sit without internet for a couple of days.

Which OpenServe ISPs are you using and how are their speed and support?

I’m leaning towards Cool Ideas based on the recent MyBB article that rated them with the best support, but I’m open to suggestions.

2 Likes

I am with Cool Ideas, they have been amazing, the only thing is they don’t have after hours support but then again I havent needed them.

2 Likes

Also with Cool Ideas, but on Vumatel. Been with them for 6 years without major issues. There was a period a few years back where they were suffering a series of DDos attacks which was a bit irritating. But outside of that, they’ve been rock solid.

We’ve had significantly more issues with Vumatel than with Cool Ideas.

2 Likes

Ironically we are on Mweb, and the rest of the neighbourhood goes down constantly, we are never down, just during that DDos period.

I’ve been with RSAWeb on Vuma for quite a while now. On average the support service is pretty decent. The quality of the connection has always been great, stable speeds and good latency.

3 Likes

I’ve been with Afrihost since moving to the Cape and on the Frogfoot fibre backbone.

I have never really had any issue with Afrihost per se, their service has been great when I have had issues, barring the fact that a lot of them are just front-line support techies that are just reading instructions to you. But when things escalate, I have been met with friendly and knowledgeable service.

Regarding the stability of the line, I have had more issues with Frogfoot than on the Afrihost side. But then again sometimes I feel like they blame each other so you never know who is at fault.

4 Likes

Afrihost on Vumatel. No complaints at all.

Other than Afrihost keeps giving me more speed for the same price as promotions. And then “forgets” to cut back the speed. I am now on 200mbps for the same price as my 50Mbps when we first got the line in 2018.

I often cut the line speed and then make some more savings, but somehow end back up here with no real increase in cost.

3 Likes

Since moving into our new house, I also moved to Afrihost, and absolutely had no issue at all. No slow down, no issues, pretty much full speed for what I pay and absolutely no complaints.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input. I’ll go have a look at the ones mentioned and order next week as soon as the house has power.

3 Likes

I didnt even notice, Cool Ideas upgraded our line from 20/20 to 50/50, just did a speedtest and this is what I am getting now:

https://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/result/24940541

2 Likes

I just placed an order with RSAWeb. On the MyBB article, they were ranked a close second behind Cool Ideas, but for R165 per month cheaper. That combined with the glowing reviews here, I decided to go with them.

5 Likes

Nice! I’ve been happy with them.

1 Like

If they ever let you down. I’m with Atomic Access on Vumatel and they’ve been really solid.

They also have a telegram group for updates / support and have really been quick with updates / feedback.

If anyone goes their route and wants to use my referral drop me a message - they offer 5% discount per referral :smiley:

2 Likes