Who is your fibre ISP and are they any good?

My current fibre ISP, ISPAfrika is switching away from home fibre and focusing purely on business fibre. As a result my account 50/50Mbps will be migrated to RSA Web - which works out to be R136 more expensive per month. The migration will be free of activation fees - but then most other ISP’s offer free activation anyway.

I’m not too familiar with the quality of RSA Web’s fibre - I see they scored well in the latest My Broadband survey. But I thought I’d see what ISP’s you are using and get some comments on which ISPs are worth considering. I am on the Vumatel network.

1 Like

I have had my fair share of bad ISPs. Also started with a smaller ISP that got taken over by Cell C. Eventually I ended up with Afrihost and have been very happy so far (about 1 year in). And most ISPs on Vumatel offers the same pipe and price.

4 Likes

I’m with Axxess. I had them as an ISP for LTE (when PE was still rolling out fibre), and then switched to their fibre package when we moved to a new house. The house we moved into already had an installation, so they got me up and running within a day.

They offer uncapped fibre that is unshaped, unthrottled. Their contracts are all month-to-month, except when you buy a router from them, then you need to stay with them for 6 months so that you don’t incur a “device fee” since all their routers are heavily discounted. I’ve seen cheaper options availbale, but I’m more than happy to pay R30 extra for great support, and the ability to upgrade, downgrade or cancel my line at any time. They actually have knowledgable technicians working in their call center, who can usually sort out most issues remotely.

4 Likes

That is the important part. I love Cool Ideas, but unfortunately that is the area they are lacking in. Uncapped, unthrottled and unshaped, but between the DDOS attacks and the the fact that their techies are not bright sparks - also a nightmare to get a hold of after hours.

3 Likes

I know Axxess’ call center is a little congested these last few months, but I know they’re busy expanding their building to increase the amount of call center operatives. The quality 24h service is definetely worth the wait on the phone.

3 Likes

I miss my Web Africa service - they knew not to ask me the stupid stuff, they had a note on their system saying I phone only when I can’t fix it with the usual tricks. Cool Ideas still haven’t learnt to not read off their script. But the thing is when cool ideas work, it works! The issue is when it doesnt it takes them weeks if not months to try and solve the issue

2 Likes

Whenever this question comes up, I always recommend Vox.

I have been with Vox since forever. Since when Vox (then @lantic) took over the ABSA internet accounts. Started on dial-up, then ADSL and now fiber.

They are not the cheapest out there, but I have never had serious issues and the few times I used their online chat support, things were quite painless. My line was a new install about 1 week after the area went live. Have not had any failure/downtime in the 18 months I’ve had it. touch wood

Not sure if it’s the same everywhere, but they only offer max 200/200 in my area on Vumatel. If you want faster, might need to go elsewhere.

3 Likes

I switched away from Vox to Mind The Speed (Network Platforms) a few months ago, and have had great service from them so far.

They had the cheapest uncapped 100Mbps service on Frogfoot when I signed up with them, and I’m always skittish about signing up with the cheapest provider, but MTS has proven to be great.

There was nothing wrong with the quality of Vox’s service—they are a great ISP. I had a problem with the fact that they hike the prices of existing customers annually even if the retail prices of products remain the same or decrease.

2 Likes

How great that we went from internet monopolies to such great options, many of them providing good service :relaxed: I dont think we can complain about choice anymore

3 Likes

Except if your body corporate signs an exclusivity deal with Vodacom Fibre. Then you are screwed. We have Vumatel right at the doorstep of the complex but may not use it.

5 Likes

You should get onto the body corporate and become chairperson and change that policy!

5 Likes

That was my strategy. Though I joined our trustees to try and get fibre to happen. And now it has! And now I’m stuck on the bord of trustees and have less hours per week to spend on fibre as a result… boo :grin:

3 Likes

3 Likes

As former trustee, who was saddled with the portfolio I expressly did not want (maintenance), you have my deepest sympathy.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that there are quite a few good options.

After thinking it over I’ve opted to take up the migration offer since there’s less p.t. involved. It’s month-to-month at least so if I’m not happy I can switch to one of the other recommended ISP’s.

2 Likes

Hi. I genuinely can’t with anymore (the support vortex feels like Telkom all over again). Fibre folks, how’s everyone’s experience with their respective Fibre provider?

2 Likes

SUPER DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I miss my friend :stuck_out_tongue:

Im 90% happy with mtn fiber via cool ideas. altho we are planning the switch from mtn to openserve and web africa - that way the office will pay out internet and we get to claim more vat.

The other reason is simply as great as cool ideas can be, their support is still lacking.

1 Like

Dragon Lady!!!

Honestly, I’m just so wary of providers now, and support is a key thing.

2 Likes

That is why we want to go back to WA - the relationship I had with them was just amazeballs. Cool Ideas just doesnt have the support staff and the ones they do keep to the script - they cannot deviate.

Also @Saint_Dee check this thread

2 Likes

Hello Dee. Hope you’re well buddy.

I’m on Telkom fibre and they’ve been perfectly fine since day one. It’s not even depressing to the point of the hanging yourself in the shower to speak to their customer service.

2 Likes