Who is your fibre ISP and are they any good?

Except if your body corporate signs an exclusivity deal with Vodacom Fibre. Then you are screwed. We have Vumatel right at the doorstep of the complex but may not use it.

5 Likes

You should get onto the body corporate and become chairperson and change that policy!

5 Likes

That was my strategy. Though I joined our trustees to try and get fibre to happen. And now it has! And now I’m stuck on the bord of trustees and have less hours per week to spend on fibre as a result… boo :grin:

3 Likes

3 Likes

As former trustee, who was saddled with the portfolio I expressly did not want (maintenance), you have my deepest sympathy.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that there are quite a few good options.

After thinking it over I’ve opted to take up the migration offer since there’s less p.t. involved. It’s month-to-month at least so if I’m not happy I can switch to one of the other recommended ISP’s.

2 Likes

Hi. I genuinely can’t with anymore (the support vortex feels like Telkom all over again). Fibre folks, how’s everyone’s experience with their respective Fibre provider?

2 Likes

SUPER DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I miss my friend :stuck_out_tongue:

Im 90% happy with mtn fiber via cool ideas. altho we are planning the switch from mtn to openserve and web africa - that way the office will pay out internet and we get to claim more vat.

The other reason is simply as great as cool ideas can be, their support is still lacking.

1 Like

Dragon Lady!!!

Honestly, I’m just so wary of providers now, and support is a key thing.

2 Likes

That is why we want to go back to WA - the relationship I had with them was just amazeballs. Cool Ideas just doesnt have the support staff and the ones they do keep to the script - they cannot deviate.

Also @Saint_Dee check this thread

2 Likes

Hello Dee. Hope you’re well buddy.

I’m on Telkom fibre and they’ve been perfectly fine since day one. It’s not even depressing to the point of the hanging yourself in the shower to speak to their customer service.

2 Likes

I’ve been with WA for YEARS now with minimal issues. Don’t think I’ll change anytime soon

2 Likes

I have the privilege of being in one of maybe two places in our area which has Frogfoot.

They have been amazing. The network is rock solid and the packages are dirt cheap. Installation and activationcan be expensive, but I got a deal that included the installation/activation fee.

For my ISP, I rolled the dice and switched from Vox to Mind The Speed. I now pay R895 per month for 100Mbps symmetrical uncapped FTTH.

If only my 16 year-old self could see me now!

Mind The Speed has been great. Generally responsive on e-mails, and in the one case where I’ve had to call the call centre to get their immediate attention on something, the support was good and the feedback at the end detailed.

Who are you with @Saint_Dee, who are causing you such strife?

2 Likes

My current situation is Rain 5G and backup with Afrihost LTE (also Rain from back when they offered it). Support is a nightmare with the same groundhog day loop of interactions.

My area has Metrofibre coverage though so I’m trying to figure out my options at this point.

2 Likes

Other friends of mine in Centurion have MetroFibre. They seem to have the whole town carved up between them and Openserve.

Anyway, MetroFibre is apparently quite good. They also operate their own ISP, which can make things confusing (and upsets some ISPs).

Here’s a list of ISPs on MFN’s fibre: https://metrofibre.co.za/residential/get-connected

2 Likes

Now I just have to figure out what potential hassle lays ahead of me with cancelling my 5G before I do anything drastic.

2 Likes

Rain and Afrihost should be month-to-month. Let me know if they give you any grief?

It’s a pity to hear that even Rain 5G doesn’t quite cut the mustard. 5G is supposed to be the wireless alternative to fibre.

1 Like

The worst part of Rain’s 5G is that it could be the replacement if it was consistent, because when it works it’s actually insane. I’m talking about breaching 350Mbps DL speeds, but a product that works half the time isn’t going to cut it.

2 Likes

Thread necro.

I’ll be moving soon and it is the perfect time to switch ISPs. Since Webafrica has gone all decentralised and all support is only over Whatsapp, I will not be staying with them. I’ve actually wanted to cancel with them for a while now, but didn’t want to sit without internet for a couple of days.

Which OpenServe ISPs are you using and how are their speed and support?

I’m leaning towards Cool Ideas based on the recent MyBB article that rated them with the best support, but I’m open to suggestions.

2 Likes

I am with Cool Ideas, they have been amazing, the only thing is they don’t have after hours support but then again I havent needed them.

2 Likes