Windows 11 Official

It turns out that Windows 10 is not “the last Windows we’ll ever need” after all. The leaks were real - Windows 11 was revealed earlier today, and “it’s coming soon”!

Need some time to digest all the details, but one big change that immediately jumped out was the huge changes to the Windows Store and the (honestly, amazing) inclusion of Android Apps through the Amazon App Store.

The biggest visual change (outside of the obvious look-and-feel stuff) is the centered start menu icons and the changes to the start menu with it’s loss of the tiles system.

Windows 11 isn’t here yet, but will be coming later this year. If you’re excited, there are some things you can do in the meantime to get ready.

One of those things is check your current system for compatibility:

Use the PC Health Check app to see if your current PC meets the requirements to run Windows 11. If so, you can get a free upgrade when it rolls out.

The official Windows 11 upgrade page highlights some of the new versions’ biggest features:

3 Likes

First thing… that Health Check App is complete shite:

I have a Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB RAM, a 240GB SDD for my OS (and another 2TB of space on other disks), a RTX 2070S and a Dell UHD monitor.

3 Likes

Those cheeky buggers have made DirectStorage Windows 11 exclusive as well. This explains what the big delay was for

2 Likes

What’s with the start button in the middle of the screen though?

1 Like

Ok nevermind I wont get it

3 Likes

I actually like the new look and feel.

Feels like they decided to get their ideas from KDE this time.

2 Likes

Microsoft - I don’t think you understand how this works…

2 Likes

Maybe WSL will eventually become LSW, with the Linux kernel taking the front seat?

2 Likes

Oh no, here we go again, as an IT guy I now have to update all the clients to the new OS, and there are going to be new problems, and ugh, why not just stay at windows 10, feels like I just got windows 10, and there are still clients with windows XP :sob: who think that is still more that reasonable, and not old at all…

2 Likes

What’s next… Google party running a candidate for president?

You probably just got windows 10 because windows 7 support ended like the people I support.

They will be getting a message in the morning saying they will not be receiving upgrades :smiley:

Looks like most of the “Not able to run Windows 11” messages are due to these requirements:

TPM 2.0, Secure Book, and UEFI are also required.

I’m guessing that may need a little under-the-hood tinkering in the BIOS settings for most custom builds? If that’s true, I see a lot of grumpy and confused average Joe users completely ignoring Windows 11.

Personally, I can’t be arsed to look at it on my machine right now - too tired. It can wait until the weekend.

2 Likes

Have a look at the Linus Tech TIps video where he tries Win 11. He talks through the health check thing, and shows how to install in spite of that, and then finally runs it best on Unraid between Windows and the bare metal.

2 Likes

I like MKBHD, he gets to play with so many cool toys. He obviously had advanced access to Win11.

2 Likes

Linus also has a video out on win 11.

4 Likes

“Linux has apparently been renamed to Nobody Else”

1 Like

I had to enable that um security setting thingy on my pc to get the compatibility app to show that it can install on my machine.

I’ve got a Ryzen and the setting was hidden deep away in the Advanced settings.

Wow MS. Why you lie to me. I genuinely believed that Windows 10 was it. I suppose something in the core had to change to allow Android apps. Everything else in the change doesn’t seem significant enough for a new OS, based on how they have managed to update Win10 thus far. Also, the theme… ugh… so Mac like :confused:

2 Likes

I hope you’ll be able to push the windows menu to the left. Middle is just strange.

3 Likes