Windows 11 Official

I couldn’t resist… Downloading on my laptop as I type this.

3 Likes

Been running the BETA on my work laptop and it is just fine. The only problem so far is the start menu search function. I am used to clicking the start button on the keyboard and then start typing the name of the app I want to launch. Yet the search there seems broken sometimes.

Also, @murfle has been surprisingly quiet in here… No negative comments lately? Finally coming around? :rofl:

2 Likes

Is that from a Win10 installation using the standard Windows Update tool? Or were you on one of the Preview Builds and it’s now automatically updating to the release version? Or are you doing a full, fresh install from an ISO or some such?

My laptop that I’ve had on the Insider Programme Beta Preview for the last three months is not showing any available updates for me. Still on Beta build 22000_194

1 Like

For my desktop that “doesn’t meet the requirements”, I’m definitely holding off for at least a few months. Going to wait for some of the kinks to be ironed out, and to confirm if those that do install to non-compatible machines do actually get updates as normal. Maybe at the end of the year to coincide with my annual machine clean.

1 Like

Nope, I used the Windows 11 Installation Assistant. It worked pretty seamlessly - I’m now happily running Windows 11 and have no issues with any software (yet). All my software, network connections, VPNs etc were there just like before.

2 Likes

Funny guy!

Nah, I’ve given up on humanity. :wink:

3 Likes

But we got Disco!!

:laughing:

1 Like

For the life of me I cannot get my PC ready for Windows 11. I keep on getting this issue:

However I’ve enabled Secure Boot within my BIOS, and I’ve changed the boot settings from Legacy to UEFI. This thing still tells me nope. And I’ve followed 3 different internet guides and none have been able to get me resolved.

1 Like

Ok, after a bit of fiddling, I’m now managing to install Windows 11 on a VM. Will play around with it there.

Quick question with regards to TPM… will Windows 11 essentially encrypt the data on my hard drives? If so, I’m not open to that at all.

1 Like

You forget who you’re talking aboot!

1 Like

UPDATE: I had to convert my boot disc from MBR to GPT, then unable CMS in the boot bios. This seems to have worked, and Windows 11 is now downloading.

3 Likes

Ok, so that was quick. 10 minutes for full Windows installation… would have been less if they weren’t “Checking for updates” during the installation.

Well that is why I didnt do the TPM thingy - I don’t know what it is

From download to install to configure to signed in with Windows Hello was about 40 minutes for me. I was really impressed with the whole process, to be honest.

1 Like

Yeah, it was very efficient. I suppose it was this quick for me because I installed on a VM so no special drivers or anything. Also, it was a clean installation from an ISO.

I’ll still need to play around with it and get some clarity with regards to disk encryption before I’ll even consider installing it on my main PC. My only timeframe for installing a new OS in in December (or when there is a PC crash), so will have to figure things out before then.

2 Likes

No, encryption is still a separate thing. The issue is that if you enable or disable TPM while your drive is currently encrypted then you could lose access to the data since the encryption code is partly stored on the TPM (or something like that)

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

I don’t think encryption would ever be a viable option for me. These days with PC hardware, if either the CPU or mainboard goes, you pretty much have to replace both plus possibly RAM. If that happens, the data is pretty much gone. Also if the hard drive fails, I guess sending it to data recovery experts would also be pointless.

I’ll start installing it on our employees’ laptops and get their feedback and then see in December to tackle my PC depending on whether I like it or not.

2 Likes

Sweet now I am on Windows 11 as well. The future is now!!

2 Likes

nice work @DieGrootHammer , for some reason even with UEFI defaulted, some win10 installs still used the old MBR system. Easy enough to fix luckily.

@Wyvern I’ll have to check the pc as I can’t recall if discrete TPM is there or not, might need to check BIOS updates as well.

If you have a laptop you want encryption enabled. Just to know if someone steals the laptop they can’t access anything.

Getting a copy of the BitLocker key is very easy in windows so no worries really, just store in a safe spot in the cloud and you are fine. The TPM security just helps enable it more easily, if it changes you just need the BitLocker key to unlock the drive contents.

I would suggest not encrypting additional drives unless there is sensitive data on them. But you won’t actually notice it being there otherwise so not too much impact on a day to day use case.

Obviously having cloud backups is a good idea :smiley: