Your Top Household Gadgets and Tools

Ever since we had to retrench our housekeeper (#ThanksCovid), everyone in Casa de Rojo has been taking care of a share of the household chores.

One of mine is folding all the “it doesn’t need to be ironed” t-shirts. And it was while doing this yesterday that I realized how thankful I am for the simple plastic clothes folder we have. Without it, the task would take 10 times longer, and the results would be no where near as neat.

Here’s the thing I’m talking about:

So now I want to know what some of your favourite household gadgets, devices, time-savers, and tools are.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be as low tech as mine, or even lockdown related. But things like those mini desktop cooling fans that I know a lot of people got because they were spending so much more time at home, or an electric can opener because you were using up your panic purchased prepper stockpiles.

Any ingenious tool or gadget that makes (or made) life at home a little easier.

(But other than computers, televisions, mobiles, and consoles - none of us could survive without those).

7 Likes

I’m gonna go with my stand mixer. It gets more use than my waffle irons ever have.

Oh, and my waffle irons.

5 Likes

Which one you got?

And waffle irons - traditional stove top job? Or more modern electric thing?

4 Likes

Just the base Kenwood chef.

I opted Kenwood over Kitchenaide, because the latter told me to get stuffed when their artisan line waffle iron packed it in and I ask for parts.

I later got 3 cheap chinese factory brand electric irons for cheap without warranty since the factory closed, and now only 2 work, but for the price I got 'em for it’s fine. They do the job, and I may even be able to fix the 3rd, I haven’t bothered looking at it yet.

5 Likes

Knife honer and sharpening stone.

5 Likes

Kenwood chef stand mixer and definitely my hoover handheld vacuum, as a pet owner that hoover saves me alot of time

4 Likes

@GregRedd Where did you get the clothes folder from?

Mine would be our Xiaomi Robot Vacuum cleaner - saves a lot of time and effort.

1 Like

Think it was Takealot. Can’t find the order on my account so it could have been on the Missus’. It’s this one, though I can’t find the grey version. It’s on special at the moment too, if you’re okay with orange :smiley:

Quick Clothes Folding Organiser Board - Orange | Buy Online in South Africa | takealot.com

https://www.takealot.com/quick-clothes-folding-organiser-board-orange/PLID68736098

3 Likes

In the kitchen, probably my handheld immersion blender.
In the rest of the house, probably my Leatherman.

3 Likes

My Nutribullet, Nespresso machine, my nespresso refillable pods (they work ok, not the best but it does the job). My immersion blender, my Victorinox knives, my whetstone, my S&P nonstick pan.

3 Likes

So, like everything?! :grinning:

3 Likes

Very much so - I have tried and tested a lot of things in my life in the kitchen, I am VERY fussy but I have found what works for me.

2 Likes

I love how this thread is mostly kitchen stuff.

2 Likes

Well they say the kitchen is the most lived in space in the average household.

3 Likes

I forgot my biggest toy - my steam cleaner - I LOVE that thing. I clean walls, tiles, beds with it, we rotate one room a month.

https://www.takealot.com/black-decker-1300w-10-in-1-steam-mop-with-portable-steamer/PLID69482006

Something similar to this, we can take ours apart that it can be short or long. Its one of the best things ever, since it has helped my sinuses out so much as well as it makes cleaning walls and windows fast!

2 Likes

Dang kitchens… Always luring people in with food…

1 Like
  • Our espresso machine. Close to 16 000 cups of coffee and counting. I’ve identified where to find a replacement in town, so that I know where to drive to pick up a replacement should anything happen to it.
  • My pressure washer. I work at a coal mine, and being able to get most of the dust off when I need to is priceless.
  • My home server. Runs Home Assistant (poorly utilized as it is), NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr, Emby, Trilium, Smokeping, and a couple of other microservices for my own consumption.
3 Likes

A computer is a gadget right? :stuck_out_tongue:
also automatic egg boiler.

1 Like

lol really? it’s so easy and little to no interaction, why automate it? :laughing:

2 Likes

Because I suck at boiling eggs XD.

7 eggs at a time, with a measuring cup to allow precise water measurement to allow for medium boiled eggs, highly portable, so much so I used it one night in my own room since it only requires electricity, the epitome of laziness :smiley:

2 Likes