Anime Thread

So found out about a pretty cool Anime. So far its pretty funny can’t wait for more!
BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, So I’ll Max Out My Defense

1 Like

I just spent far too much time on this person’s Twitter page… S/he is really good!

So I watched Kill la Kill. Only 24 episodes long, quite fun.

could never get into that one, bit too weird for me

So is it just me or do a lot of animes seem to be set around schools?

There are many reasons why schools are the biggest settings in a lot of anime, and manga. One of the major reasons is because it’s generally targeted towards kids and teens. So the settings then reflect their target demographic. Shounen manga is geared towards young boys and girls, where as Seinen manga is more for young adults.

There are also plenty of anime, visuals novels, manga and light novels which have school settings but are targeted towards adults. The biggest difference is that they tend to use violence and violent content in a slightly different way as well as being more sexual in nature or having partial or full nudity at times but, this isn’t always the case.

Attack on Titan is well known for being violent but, It’s cast is predominately made up of teenagers and it’s published in a Shounen magazine. Working!! is a light heated romantic comedy which features a cast of high school students and adults. It’s published in a Seinen magazine. As you can see the themes and settings don’t always match the demographical content.

I have seen plenty of shows with a school setting but would have more, mature themes and content and a lot more drama too.

Another reason why schools are so popular in Japan as a setting for media is because it’s a way of helping readers and viewers escape into their fantasy more easily. Being a kid/teen again means you have less responsibilities and can take life a little less seriously.

Also, having everyone wear the same uniform (in anime specifically) saves you time in the art and animation department.

3 Likes

Here’s my top picks of the Autumn season Updated:

Tonikaku Kawaii (Over the Moon for you)
Jujutsu Kaisen (Socery Fight)
Majo no Tabitabi (The Journey of Elaina)
Munou na Nana (Talentless Nana)
Maoujou de Oyasumi (Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle)
Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou Arui wa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen (Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World)
Kamisama ni Natta Hi (The day I become a God)
Yuukoku no Moriarty (Moriarty the Patriot)
Adachi to Shimamura (Adachi and Shimamura)

Sequels/Returning Shows

Higurashi 2020 (When the Cicada’s Cry)
Golden Kamuy Season 3
Yashahime (Princess Half-Demon)
DanMachi Season 3

Honorable Mentions/Still worth a watch:

Iwa Kakeru!: Sport Climbing Girls
Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko (By the Grace of the Gods)
Assault Lily: Bouquet
Strike Witches: Road to Berlin
Noblesse
Kumu Kuma Kuma Bear
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Dragon Quest Dai no Bouken (DQ Dai’s Great Adventure 2020)
100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru (I’m standin on 1 million lives)

Dogeza de Tanondemita (I Tried Asking While Kowtowing) - Still has to air but going by how it’s basically I Want You To Make a Disgusted Face and Show Me Your Underwear, you’d know fairly quickly if you’d enjoy it or not.

1 Like

Yep strongly agree, busy reading the manga as well, just waiting for a few more episodes before watching the anime. Incredibly good manga so far

I enjoy a vast array of genres but, I have a soft spot for rom-coms. So far it’s ticking all the right boxes and it’s really endearing, charming and funny.

It also feels like the Hinagiku x Hayate ship that a lot of fans where hoping for but never got.

e: The OP is soooo catchy too.

Where do you go to get your Anime fix?

I currently use Crunchyroll and then download anything that is on Funimation since it’s not available here.

With a free CR account you’ll be a week behind on currently airing shows but everything else that’s available can be watched. Use a good ad-blocker to avoid getting spammed with adverts.

There’s also Netflix, Amazon Prime, HiDive and Funimation. HiDive has everything that is owned by Sentai but, like CR has a somewhat limited library depending on your region.

You can generally remedy the region blocking with a VPN.

Otherwise the alternative option is: Nyaa and Erai-raws if you want to sail the high seas.

2 Likes

Crunchyroll has a free service?

Well, I might just have to get back into watching anime!

They do, it used to be limited to 480p but they now allow up to 1080p (with adverts) but with Ublock you can just remove them all.

1 Like

I installed Crunchyroll on my PS4 at lunch today, watched an episode of Attack on Titan. Pretty impressed, didn’t even have to sign up. The ads were a pain when I accidentally unplugged my router and I had to fast forward, but hey, if I can watch AoT for free, why not…

PS4 is such a nice media player. That’s all i use it for

1 Like

Thank goodness I stop in here ocassionally, I was not awae CR had a free tier to their service. I may have to sign up as well, and download to the PS4. Will have to deal with ads though on console.

Thanks for sharing @Glordit.

Signed up to see what the experience was like, and first thing I happened to click on was JUJUTSU KAISEN, not knowing anything about it, I got sucked into it.

At least on PC with uBlock installed, the experience is pretty solid. Will see what it’s like on console.

If you got a raspberry pi or old PC laying around you can make a pi-hole which blocks any and all adverts on your network.

2 Likes

I’m familiar :slight_smile: You can also run it in docker if you don’t have either as well. Excellent suggestion overall, thanks!

Pi-hole’s are essential imo

Just never ran my PS4 through it. Might be time to get off my arse.

1 Like

Here’s 10 obscure anime that you might enjoy.

• Flag
    Experimental docudrama anime which makes use of various characters camera footage, in order to tell the story of a war ravaged country and a mission to gain back it’s freedom.

• The Great Passage
    An interesting look at the blood, sweat, tears and massive amounts of time that goes into creating a dictionary.

• Hoozuki no Reitetsu
    What would hell be like, if it was a bureaucracy?

• Moyashimon
    Tadayasu has the unusual ability to see micro bacteria, which leads him to studying at a agricultural university. Unbeknownst to him, his ability which he thought was troublesome, is worth much more than he initially thought.

• Welcome to NHK
    The struggles of a paranoid shut-in who with the help of his neighbor and a mysterious girl, slowly starts to shake off his paranoia and enter society again.

• Mononoke
    The strange adventures of a Apothecary who solves mysteries surrounding spirits, monsters and the dead.

• Kemonozume
    Toshihiko dedicated his life to hunt down and kill the Shokujinki that was, until the day he met Yuka.

• Detroit Metal City
    Having an alter-ego as a respected Death metal musician, while hiding that and the fact that he is trying desperately to become a indie pop-star is not an easy task for Negishi.

• Dorohedoro
    Mushrooms, Wizards, Demons and Baseball. THAT IS DOROHEDORO!

• Aku no Hana
    The downfall of a Takao as one carnal impulse leads him down the path of madness. The rotoscoped animation technique is what makes this anime truly unique.

1 Like