Assassin's Creed Odyssey Official Thread

Over the weekend I finally finished the Main story quest, the family quest. I’m sitting on just over 60 hours in gameplay in getting to this point, and I have to say, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is by far my favourite AssCreed game ever. Let me gush for a moment about why I think that.

Firstly, the story has been very good. For those of you that feel like you’re not too into the whole current time vs ancient time story, don’t worry. In my 60 hours I only went back to “current time” in the story twice. I spent 30 minutes of the 60 hours on that. The entire rest of the game is all in ancient Greece. The game revolves around pretty much 3 story lines, the “main” Family story line, the end game “Cult of Kosmos” story line, and the very end game -redacted due to spoiler- story line. I liked and got rather involved in the Family story line. It took some unexpected turns, has multiple endings based on your choices, in fact it plays out differently based on certain choices you make in the game.

The chance encounters is the second reason I love this game. In a previous post in this thread I shared what happened on one island I just landed on. Well, that happened again and again on almost every island I docked at. And I spent hours running around doing those missions. The whole mini-story line on Mykonos was by far my favourite of them all. I didn’t want to leave the island, and felt genuinely sad to leave and continue with the story.

With all these chance encounters and enjoying doing them, I never ran into a situation where I ever felt the need to farm for experience, or that the story progressing beyond my level. I always felt like the game was following my progression so closely it must be by design. This was a big issue for reviewers that commented that they felt the game was pushing them to buy the microtransactions because of the slow pace. The game only told me once, after 10 hours, that there was a store, and never got any other notification for it ever again. And never felt the need to even look at what is to buy in the store.

Now I’ll say something controversial though, I totally get why they added microtransactions into the game. It is not a short game. It is huge and there are way too much to see and do for any normal person without a ton of free time to complete. Chances are the average person with a family and a 9-5 job will never see the end of the game. Those microtransactions just speeds up thing for people like that. But here’s the thing, the game doesn’t feel artificially slow because of them.

The voice acting and performance of the main protagonists, either Alexio or Kassandra, are bloody amazing! The script they get the read also has some really awesome highlights, and I found myself laughing at times, and even getting emotional at certain points as well.

Overall the experience with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey has been tremendous. It’s been the only game I wanted to play more than Red Dead Redemption 2. It’s not a better game than RDR2, don’t get me wrong, but it was the only game I felt like playing when I needed a break from playing cowboys. And even now, after all these hours, after completing the main story line, I still want more, and look forward to completing the other story lines.

3 Likes

Why would it be bad to rate it above RDR2? If a game is deserving of a personal preference above Rockstar’s mega hit, then call it.

I’m not saying I don’t want to rate it above RDR2. My personal preference is that RDR2 is a much better game than Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. But, I enjoyed my time spent in ACOd more than RDR2. They are similar games on opposite side of the fun vs authenticity scale. When I got a bit tired of the realness of RDR2, ACOd was there for levity and pure unadulterated fun.

Fixed that for ya :wink:

2 Likes

Revival!

I started playing this again recently on Uplay + and I was really enjoying myself, but the more I play the more I just want it to end. Whenever I think I’m done with the main story the game just throws another handful of things to do at me. On top of that, each of the questlines you have to follow have 10 other things you need to do complete the quest and all these things are usually very similar (either go fetch something or go kill someone).

I really only want to play the Atlantis DLC and I’m very close to just calling it quits with the main game and using the DLC shortcut (make a level 52 Character ready to play the DLC standalone). I don’t even care about story spoilers, the writing isn’t that good anyway and I’ve not cared about anything my character has done so far, despite the excellent voice acting (playing as Kassandra).

I really hope the next game in this series doesn’t copy this pattern with just a different setting and an even bigger, more bloated game world. It probably will though. I would be happy with a mix of this formula and something like Unity, but Ubisoft will probably cater to the “new” fans of the series after the commercial success of Odyssey.

1 Like

Another revival!

I started playing this weekend and had a really good time. I wasn’t all that fond of Origins. Both the setting and the characters in Origins didn’t appeal to me. Odyssey had me hooked from the start. Love it so far.

3 Likes

Odyssey is a fantastic game. I enjoyed it most of all AC games. The missions are all such roller coaster rides, there is tonnes to do, the combat is great and lore is amazing. Enjoy the game!

2 Likes

I am genuinely interested to see if your enjoyment lasts. I also find it interesting that Origin’s setting and characters did not grab you but Odyssey’s does. To me Odyssey is by far the worst game in the series and the worst thing that happened to the franchise. It feels like a failed attempt to capture the magic of The Witcher 3. The combat can be pretty fun but the leveling system ruined it for me(sucks doing like a super combo on a higher level enemy with multiple hits and you take like a quarter of their health). I did like Kassandra a lot but other than her I can’t even remember any of the characters. The setting is also pretty generic, everything looks the same. At least in Origins there were deserts, lush areas and big cities to provide variation. I am definitely not a fan of Greek Mythology though, I dislike the original God of War games and Titan Quest for the same reason. Glad you’re enjoying it though.

1 Like

I’m with @Wlad on this one. I loved Origins. It’s the only AC game I’ve ever completed. The desert landscape was majestic and a breath of fresh air. Odyssey is boring as Hades thus far and the landscape and gameplay feels like a slightly retooled Black Flag… I’m about 8-9 hours into the game and don’t see myself completing it.

2 Likes

I’m 100% with you on that one. I’m 100 hours in on Origins and still playing it. Think I’ve got 20 hours in Odyssey and let it go. There’s a clear disparity between the two, can definitely tell it was developed by different teams, something like Dark Souls 1 vs 2.

1 Like

Haha well then I prefer the Odyssey team by far.

I had some big gripes with Origins. For me it was the worst game in the series. One of the biggest problems I had is that the characters didn’t grab me at all. From the lead characters to the NPC’s and their stories.

With Odyssey I’m already invested with Kassandra because from the start you can decide if you want to be good or evil and then you learn the whole story of how she got where she was and how the guy saved her and that whole start bit made me feel connected to her. In Origins that never happened.

Also I like how I randomly came across Odessa at the start on the island next to the bigger island. Her whole story was so interesting. I came across her again a bit later on the way to the Wold. I ended up making sweet love to her and now she’s a part of my crew.

For me the world feels better because the people in it seem more well defined. I played Origins after I played RDR2 and Origins felt dead after playing RDR2. The people were all dead inside. The people in the towns felt like cardboard. It feels better in Odyssey.

However, my wife also played both and she prefers Origins. So it’s interesting how people are divided on it.

I’ll continue this weekend though and will let you know if I still like it that much.

2 Likes

Prefers Dark Souls 2 over Dark Souls 1 and Odyssey over Origins. Yeah, that definitely checks out. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh no doubt, and I didn’t previously mention the differences to slate your thoughts or opinions in the least. Just an observation, as you say, it’s interesting to see different perspectives.

I think also, maybe in this case, is a good point where personal preference of mythologies can affect our experiences. I know very little and don’t really like Greek mythos, but since school I’ve always like the Egyptian mythology and cultures. So that will obviously shape some of your (and my) experiences.

Interesting indeed.

1 Like

I actually liked both. My only issue with them were just that they were too freakin big. It took forever to complete.
Oh, and I suppose I’m also not a big fan of being unable to assassinate anymore. Now when you sneak up behind whoever to silently assassinate, you just give him a papercut (which just pisses him off) and then everybody hears there’s fighting going on.

3 Likes

Agreed the stealth genre has become diluted, especially so in open world games. It’s just become more enjoyable to go in guns (or in this case swords, axe, etc) blazing into an encampment and making your presence know, it’s bound to happen anyway, even if you stealth it.

Ghost of Tsushima is a a good example of an open world game with some decent stealth mechanics, but yes, gone are the days of Sam Fisher in Chaos Theory.

Normally I’m not too fussed as I’m not big on stealth games anyway… but Assassin’s Creed is supposed to be the exception.

How have your expeditions been?

I love it!

It’s much better than Origins in my opinion. I look forward to continuing but unfortunately we won’t have power until this afternoon.

1 Like

It’s been a rubbish rotation for us this batch of load shedding.

1 Like

So I picked this up again recently as my mental state was really taking a pounding lately, I wanted something to just relax, that didn’t take much of a thought process and simply just take mind off of things.

I couldn’t remember what happened or how to play as it had been a few months since playing, so I started a new game. Without much care for story, I wanted more moment-to-moment gameplay and thought this would scratch that itch… my goodness has it ever, in the two weeks since I started a new game I have spent nearly 50 hours in the game without playing anything else.

Yesterday I learnt that I can create different arrow variants, after 42 hours of playing the game :laughing:

3 Likes