Did you know?

Continuing the discussion from The 10,000 Best Forum Posts on the Internet Right Now!:

In honour of Trivia Day, I thought it might be fun to kick off a topic for useless information. Post something obscure you know, or a piece useless information you’ve just learned.

I’ll get us started:

Did you know that people with a fish allergy are unlikely to also have a shellfish allergy? This is because fish and shellfish do not have the same allergenic protein.

Citation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_allergy

7 Likes

Did you know that the national animal of Scotland is the unicorn? :unicorn:

4 Likes

Did you know that the symbol some of us grew up calling the number sign, and that Americans for some reason call a pound sign, and which has become globally know as the hashtag symbol, is in fact called an octothorpe? And while the “octo-” part is easy enough to understand, no-one knows for sure where the “thorpe” part came from.

#NowYouKnow :smiley:

3 Likes

I might be slow here, but why the “octo-”? It’s four lines, creating nine area’s, so I don’t get where eight comes in?

4 Likes

Maybe if you draw lines around the edges.

4 Likes

I clicked the link :face_with_monocle:

It refers to the eight points that the lines form.

#NowIKnow :smiley:

4 Likes

The folds in a chef hat refers to the different ways you can make eggs

3 Likes

The plastic around the end of a shoelace is an aglet.

4 Likes

This I did know thanks to Phineas and Ferb :rofl:

1 Like

“Arachibutyrophobia” is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.

2 Likes

Did you know!

That if you were to fold a piece of paper in half, 50 times, it would reach from earth to the sun. And if you folded it 51 times, it would reach to the sun and back.

This is the same as multiplying it by 2⁵⁰ , or by 1,125,899,906,842,624.

If it is 0.1 mm thick, that times 1,125,899,906,842,624 is 112,589,990,684,262.4 mm or 112,589,990 km. The distance to the sun (on average) is close to 150,000,000 km.

5 Likes

Did you know that there’s a Starbucks cup in every shot in Fight club.

5 Likes

What.

I’ve watched Fight Club at least 15 times, literally last week again, never picked this up. That’s a really cool titbit that I will tell my wife when we next watch it again.

3 Likes

Did you know a palindrome is a word or phrase that can be read front to back, and back to front, and still be the same word or phrase?

Some example ones:

eve
madam
racecar
never odd or even
(it bugs me that this last one is not “never odd NOR even”…)

4 Likes

My favourite palindrome was always “Won’t lovers revolt now?” which I would say at random moments during movies or shows with dumb plots just to confuse those watching with me even more.

6 Likes

Hmm, I must tell you guys about Mondegreens sometime

4 Likes

Why not now?

4 Likes

Wanted to get some examples. But here it is now:

A mondegreen /ˈmɒndɪɡriːn/ is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase in a way that gives it a new meaning.[1] Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a poem or a song; the listener, being unable to clearly hear a lyric, substitutes words that sound similar and make some kind of sense.[2][3] American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term in 1954, writing that as a girl, when her mother read to her from Percy’s Reliques , she had misheard the lyric “layd him on the green” in the fourth line of the Scottish ballad “The Bonny Earl of Murray” as “Lady Mondegreen”.

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl o’ Moray,
And Lady Mondegreen.[4]

The correct fourth line is, “And laid him on the green”. Wright explained the need for a new term:

The point about what I shall hereafter call mondegreens, since no one else has thought up a word for them, is that they are better than the original.

I was so happy to learn about Mondegreens as I’m notorious for mishearing lyrics especially when the singer doesn’t annunciate clearly.

Used to think Macy Grey sang “I wore goggles when you are not near” rather than the correct “My world crumbles when you are not near”

Comedian Peter Kay effectively uses Mondegreens with hilarious results

7 Likes

Our Father who art in Heaven,
Harold be thy name…

Forgive us our trashbaskets,
as we forgive those who trashbasket against us.

:grinning:

4 Likes

https://www.kissthisguy.com/

4 Likes