Dirt Rally 2.0 [MEWRL]

Would those be cliff notes then?

Greece is my nemesis, I gave it the best I could! I’ve been trying different cars for each event. This time I used the Mitsu Space Star, cute little thing.

3 Likes

The duuknis got me

3 Likes

Last week was a complete write off for me - never got close to even thinking about giving Dark Greece a try. From the Results though, it seems I probably saved myself some time… I would definitely be at the bottom of the list of DNFs. 6 starters and only 2 finishers shows just how tough a challenge this was.

On that basis, double congrats to winner :1st_place_medal: @Boogey and to second place finisher :2nd_place_medal: @LazyDemoni. P3 goes to :3rd_place_medal: @Aldyr, based on his Stage 1 time.

@the9avenger9, @WarRack101 and @Beo are the other classified points scorers. Well done all!

The November Nightmare event ends off this week with a frenetic, and very dark, dash through four of the tight Baumholder stages. One wheel wrong and your face will be making out with a solid concrete block. :smiley:

Two Steins and two Bergs to get you to the checkered flag this time. Good luck, have fun. :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

I used the VW Polo for this event. It’s lovely on tar and the hard gravel. Doesn’t do anything too unexpected and was relatively easy to handle. Medium tyres held up well.

There were still a few moments where I overshot the corner and had to take evasive action from blocks and the crowd. In one instance I failed, but luckily I just hit the spectators (gently :laughing: ), still got penalised.

5 Likes

3 Likes

At least I made it through the starting gate this time :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

These races are really showing me what a newbie i am. after i wrote off my car, again, i headed back to my career mode to practice with my slow AF front wheel drive. You guys are making this very difficult :rofl:

5 Likes

No one is forcing you to put your foot to the floor :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Phil is forcing you

2 Likes

But i need to go fast! There is no other way. When in doubt, go flat out.

3 Likes

I’m procrastinating and bored, while the pie is in the oven. So, oops for below.

Have you tried mapping what to do with pacenotes? A very long time ago, I did this for every corner call, mapping it what wheel angle I need, what the maximum speed I should be doing, which also tells me how much I should brake.

Level 1:
Start vague:
Corners: hairpin, 1 and 2: ok, i’m probably coming right down to 2nd gear. If the revs bog down, then go to 1st gear.
Corner 3: it’s probably something like a drift in 3rd gear.
Corner 4: it’s a shallower drift than a 3 corner, so I can probably go faster, so let’s try 4th gear.
Corner 5: it’s fairly fast, i’m going to lift and turn slightly, whatever gear i’m in
Corner 6: i really don’t care, don’t lift, foot flat.

Refine this muscle memory till you know the feeling.

Level 2:
Use this little yellow and red flags as markers for braking as well as judging when you are turning into the corner. Because when you turn into a corner matters hugely. Yellow flags before a corner are usually the earliest braking zone, while red is probably too late to brake.

Level 3:
After that, you could start paying attention to the adjectives in Phil’s pacenotes. They are the danger words. They are the things that trip you up. tightens, rock inside, acute, into, keep left, etc.

Level 4:
Learn which types of road edges/shoulders, you can slip an inside wheel onto. Yes, I’m telling you to figure out where you can cut corners. I do mean, one wheel. Cos if you’re cutting with the whole car off the road, that just cheating. Point is to straighten the corners as much as possible, because that’s how you keep your speed up. You should eventually figure out that, you can slide off some corners, that make the car slide, but anticipate the slide, and let the slide, change the angle of the car, so it straights on exit (or as it goes back fully into the road).

Level 5:
Next level is learning every dangerous spot where the car is unstable, in every stage. Admittedly, this is probably the last level of mastery. Not only cos it will take an eternity, but also because once you conquer this, you’ve mastered control, as much as any human can master it.

Watch your replays. No, but really really WATCH your replays. What you did. You’ll be surprised how easy these steps come, when you watch your replay back, keeping these tips in mind.

Lastly, all this should be done per type of car: 4WD, RWD, FWD

This is my little bullshit guide on how to teach yourself to go fast in Dirt Rally 2.0

5 Likes

I love it when you get bored and procrastinate. You should do it more often.

2 Likes

And we’re done. Well, you lot are. Me, not so much “done” but more “didn’t even start”!

Germany was the fourth and final round of the November Nightmare event. And it was another win for the appropriately flagged :1st_place_medal: @Boogey. :2nd_place_medal: @aldyr took the final stage win, but finished the event 32 seconds off the pace overall. A final podium place for :3rd_place_medal: @LazyDemoni who was also the last to reach the end of Stage 4 and see the :checkered_flag: checkered flag.

The only other finishers were P4’s @TheeAlekai who sadly crashed out on Stage 4, and @murfle who put his disco shoes on one last time to claim another of his patented ISS1 (I Started Stage 1) points! :smiley:

Purely for the recordkeepers, and prosperity, the 4 event mini-Championship ended with :trophy: @Boogey claiming the Groot Meneer trophy with @Aldyr and @LazyDemoni shaking the champagne and getting glitter bombed while they share the Championship podium with him.

Thanks for all the Dirt Rally fun times and laughs this year. I’m not going to set anything up for December, and then will start something like a Monthly event from January again. If anyone wants to set something else up, let me know. In the interim, if you need a new rally fix, keep an eye on the Assetto Corsa topic where @oltman has started thinking about maybe doing something rally related in AC soon.

Stay dirty ya filthy buggers!

6 Likes

Damn, I completely forgot bout this week’s stint.

2 Likes

“That stage was tough. But it felt fast.”

3 Likes

3 Likes

My top Steam game for the year as well.

3 Likes

Okay, that’s been a long enough break… it’s time to get dirty again! Here’s the Dirt Rally Championship Calendar for this year.

The 2023 MEWRL Dirt Rally 2 Championship: The 9x9

9 events each comprising 9 stages. 9 different locations and 9 different car categories to test yourself against.

Three weeks per event to make things slightly less frenetic for everyone - especially with load shedding not looking like it’s going away any time soon. Events start just after midnight on the Sunday and end at midnight on the Saaturday 3 weeks later.

The usual game settings are applied: No Forced Cockpit Camera, No Hard Mode, All Assists Allowed, Unexpected Events are On.

Unlike last year, this year you’ll face the added challenge of variable Time of Day & Weather Conditions. Very variable. (I essentially selected each of the available weather settings at least once on each rally.) There’s also plenty of wet surface and rainy weather stages. And a whole host of dusk and night stages too. :smiling_imp:

Round 1 in New England with the R2 class cars gets going this weekend, so check back tomorrow for the event stages and the expected conditions.

Come and get dirty with me again if you’d like @aldyr @Beo @Boogey @czc @DarthMol @Deadlypinecone @murfle @Dragonic @emo_chair @Entity @Grievous @Massa @jaydogg86 @Konck @LazyDemoni @Munage @oltman @SlinX @the9avenger9 @TheeAlekai @WarRack101 @z1oc and anyone else that would like to join in the Dirt Rally fun.

8 Likes

Cool! 9 stages per 21 days is spaced out nicely. I haven’t touched a racing game in a while and it’s about time I got back to it!

2 Likes

You’re a sadist and or masochist, I forget which is relevant in this context.

1 Like