Don’t Assume My Topic Thread

I drive past a wall in Bramley like that. The one layer has collapsed onto the pavement after all the rain.

You will get it next time. Stay positive.

Yesterday was on of those crazy UNISA days. The test was supposed to be uploaded at 6PM, that announcement went out a week ago. Then suddenly the test is uploaded at 5PM with the announcement for that at 2PM on the same day.

3 Likes

As a contractor I can see lots wrong with this.

• The weakest point on a wall is the mortar. The mortar on this wall is too thick, and thus the wall relatively weak. You look for about 10 to 15mm of mortar.
  • Any double skin wall (230mm, 9 inch, 1 brick) wall should be tied at least every 3rd course with brick force. This literally holds the 2 skins together so they can share the strength. If you do not want to use brick force, then every 3rd course can be built perpendicular to the normal courses (so it goes between the 2 skins) but this is not always possible. Think this is called English bond.

BUT, building 1 skin fully, and then the next skin fully, is fine, provided he has something to tie the 2 skins together (brick force). In a lot of cases it is actually preferred to build it one full skin at a time. Houses, for example, requires a waterproofing layer between the skins, like brick seal (the names in construction are very creative). So you build the inside skin, with brick force. You then paint a solid waterproofing layer on, and then the outside skin goes on. This way any moisture from the outside should only reach halfway into the wall and not come through into the house.

As for the speed? This pace is terrible. Good brick layers can do between 500 and 750 bricks per day, depending on their team supporting them. We only pay per brick to encourage them to lay faster. It goes hand in hand with a good foreman to make sure quality does not suffer :wink:

6m of wall, 2.1m high, double skin, is only about 1300 bricks. Rounding this up to 1500 with a good bricklayer, this should be NO MORE than 4 days bricklaying, 1 day plastering.

It is nice to talk about topics I actually know about fully :smiley:

6 Likes

I was waiting for you to come and drop some knowledge on this thread. I learned something, thanks!

Coincidentally, since we bought our house we’ve made a list of things we want to project or upgrade or change. We won’t ever do the whole list, but it’s good to think about these things. One of my ideas is to extend my garage and make a bit of a home workshop. Do you have thumbsuck prices for a) installing ceiling per square meter, b) building a double wall per square meter, and c) laying concrete floor per square meter?

2 Likes

Thanks Oltman

They did use brick force on the inside layer…im not sure if they are using it on the outside as well. They still have to plaster the outside of the wall and that will only be done on monday because the weather seems iffy today and will impact the plastering apparently. The inside of the wall is not getting plastered its just getting a plaster wash.

But i cannot put my electric fence up until the plastering is done. The F-tard wanted us to put the fence up and they wuld the plaster around it which I shot down as i want it done flipping properly. This is the first and last time this guy will do any work in our complex. He was a lot heaper than other builders but the extra cost in additional security now makes him the most expensive.

3 Likes

New tattoo on monday can’t wait.

3 Likes

Afternoon people of the Palace have a great day

Shop has been busy

5 Likes

So my son surprised me today with this question:

Dad, what’s a poes?

I had to try so hard not to laugh but I could hear my wife doing so from the other room.

5 Likes

Brick force in one skin will help, but it is much better to span between the skins.

This is the only pic I could quickly find with brick force. You will see it spans between to tie the 2 together.

4 Likes

Afternoon all! Hope you’re all having a Super Saturday!

:smiley: :wave:

2 Likes

And what did you tell him it was?

3 Likes

haha that I don’t want to hear him saying that, and that’s it’s a very ugly swear word.

4 Likes

Power Over Ethernet Server?

4 Likes

Its what you get called in grade 8 when the class bullies try to bully you and you punch them in the stomach.

3 Likes

Morning y’all!

:grinning::wave:

All overcast and grim out my bedroom window today. If we weren’t doing lunch for the Missus’ birthday today, it’d be a perfect bed day.

2 Likes

I’d be curious to find out where he learned / heard it being used. He’s got some dodgy mates at school. :grinning:

2 Likes

Happy birthday to Mrs Redd, hope you all have a great lunch and celebration.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday to your Mrs @GregRedd May the sun shine when you have lunch.

2 Likes

Good morning everyone.

Have to work on Wednesday :frowning:

3 Likes

Good morning! And good grief - how is it Monday again already?!

:grinning::wave:

2 Likes

That’s a bit kak. Extra pay for it at least I assume?

1 Like