Elden Ring - Souls meets Ice & Fire

It seems to me that there is a disconnect between reviewers and actual players.

2 Likes

I wonder if most of the reviews were done on console.

Besides the network problems on XBox, I’ve had no problems. And I love the game. So much. And it’s so big. Going to keep me busy for a very long time.

@Wlad , @Beo and I did some jolly co-operation today and it was good fun.

5 Likes

One thing I have noticed which is a huge plus for gameplay is the hitboxes are so tight, the gameplay is in point.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m also on XBox (Series S) and I’ve had zero issues whatsoever. The exploration is amazing. The game also some really insane enemy designs (of course).

Jolly co-op with @Solitude was awesome but we we’re missing a tank in the form of @Beo to help us with two difficult bosses.

4 Likes

I somehow failed to realize that the first guy you find on a horse was a boss. I think it was because I initially assumed that I have to beat him to get a horse, but then he was obviously too difficult to beat on foot so I skipped him and when I got the horse later I just thought he was a regular guy on a horse like all the others so I never went back to him. Got back to him later and realised he was a boss so I’m trying to beat him now, still quite tough but I think I can do it.

I can’t remember all the bosses names but so far I think I’ve beaten Margit, a Dragon and one other guy way down south. I found Godrick but I have no chance against him at the moment. Luckily there is still a LOT to explore, I’ll probably just skip most of the bosses as long as I can.

4 Likes

I took the plunge, bought the game, and hated the first 4 hours of this game. I don’t enjoy effectively rogue-like RPG’s. The explanations for how stuff works are disconnected, and vague. Not knowing what you can and can’t do is infuriating. I fucking hate invasions, when I haven’t even learnt the nuances of combat yet. And even then, it seems they all come with fancy weapons, that I can’t seem to block or parry. The camera in dungeons, don’t always point in the right direction, and works on my left nut. I hate Boss fights. Oh, and this game IS a roll-away fest. For now I’m tolerating it, but still can’t say it’s my jam. I may just start over and try another class. This all in melee guy I chose is sucking, big time. I guess I’ll play it until Wonderlands drops.

I see jitter onscreen, in the open world, but it’s few and far between. Hasn’t happened when I’m fighting. Otherwise performance has been passable. 1440p, on default high? Only turned off blur. Also, why does it lock to only 60fps?

For the most part, the positive things reviewers have said, seems spot on: it looks amazing, combat mechanics and controls are tight, unique monster attack/defense techniques, exploring is almost Witcher 3 like, in how it just seamlessly unveils new places and things to see. All my negative things, come from a person, that has played maybe 1 hour of Dark Souls, and probably doesn’t like the genre in the first place. I will most likely drop this kak and go play something I truly enjoy next week. I thought, I would at least give it a few days, earnestly, to hook me. So we’ll see.

3 Likes

I can’t express how much I dislike the rolling mechanics. Just let me block or dodge ffs. How did games even come up with rolling? Have you ever seen how ridiculous it looks and how pointless it is in real life?

2 Likes

There is a quickstep ash of war. Not sure how well it works as I have a mage build so I didn’t buy it.

1 Like

Started over. Mage. So much easier than melee. You beat them with a light show, they get epilepsy, they die. :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I can appreciate and respect your willingness to not only give it a try but also to allow it to grow on you. Especially given the fact that the Soulsborne series is notoriously challenging. I personally wouldn’t have laid out the amount for a new game knowing that I possibly won’t even like it, but well done for taking the leap and I do honestly hope you persevere through the Lands Between. These games are some of the best in terms or rewarding gameplay that I have experienced.

3 Likes

Getting somewhere found a secret boss area. But I said nope not ready. I nearly beat crucible knight.
I beat godwin and the dragon.

Getting there slowly. I beat the bloodhound using his weapon now.

2 Likes

I beat an invasion for the first time. It is waaaaaay harder than bosses. Morgit was a cake walk, probably because you can use summons for distraction with bosses.

2 Likes

I fought Deathbird for the first time last night. Apparently there are a few of them.

I also started farming those ugly giant things for experience, they give 1000 runes each and they aren’t too hard to kill and there’s a whole bunch of them in one area.

2 Likes

Everyone’s so far ahead of me now.

1 Like

I think we’re very much close to each other in terms of progression and level.

2 Likes

Not me. I haven’t even met any of the main bosses yet. Currently level 25 I think. Have done most things in Lingrave, Stormhill and Mistwood. Currently busy with Weeping Peninsula.

Some things I couldn’t do. Like the Evergaols. Will have to go back for them.

1 Like

Dual uchigatana’s ftw!

1 Like

Same with me soli, I don’t have much time to play. Juggling a job and a gf :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah I am at some tower fighting some wizard and he is kicking my ass. I think Its a higher level area I just don’t know.

2 Likes

Fuck godrick, but he’s dead, and without any help. My forehead is bleeding from beating it against a wall, 8 or 9 times though

4 Likes

I think I got lucky with Godrick, when I first found him I tried him twice but decided it was just way too much, so I left him and explored for a couple of days. When I finally decided to go back to him I think I was so OP I beat him the first time, while listening to some stand up comedy. I had Nepheli Loux and my Jelly fish to help me.

2 Likes