Half-Life: Alyx

I’ll have you know that I haven’t run into a wall in at LEAST 3 months.

2 Likes

Thanks, hm I really thought you had a VR headset.

1 Like

Yep, I do. :smile:

1 Like

The poll needs a choice for wanting a vr headset, as i want one, just don’t have that kind of money.

2 Likes

I got my Lenovo Explorer for R4000 :smiley: great buy.

1 Like

I fully agree, but we arent there yet. Also, if this was a new franchise or such, I have no problem with that, but this is HL, so many gamers have been wanting a new game in the HL universe, I’d bet its probably the most anticipated or wished for game in the last 10 years and for Valve do make this VR exclusive, all I have for them is this:

1 Like

This dude sums it up pretty well.

1 Like
1 Like

Found an absolutely gigantic post on Alyx hardware requirements

The requirements are quite hefty.

1 Like

I have very limited exposure to VR. I know how the teleportation movement system works, but how would you use the continious locomotion system? Is there a stick on the controller you use?

1 Like

I’m trying to limit my exposure to any gameplay, I’ve only seen the short promo video that initially came out last year.

There are several different methods smooth locomotion and developers implement them in different ways. If you’re jumping into VR for the first time and/or are prone to motion sickness, stay the hell away from any form of smooth locomotion.
Vive uses a circular touchpad
Oculus uses a joystick.
In most cases, one hand will control forward, back, left, right, think WASD, and the other had will control rotation.
There are many variations though, for instance, right hand does WASD and the physical rotation of your head or of the controller itself will control rotation.

IMO the best implementation of a locomotion system goes to H3VR’s “armswinger” :tm: system.
Press and hold a button on each controller and swing your arms as if you were running IRL.
I’ve become pretty agile using this method, but as I said, implementation can vary wildly from game to game.

It literally looks like I’m running in-game

2 Likes

I played just over 2 hours of HL Alyx last night and as a VR veteran of 3+ years I am completely blown away.
This will be the new VR benchmark for a long time to come.

In my very biased opinion (as a bit of a VR evangelist), this cements the idea that VR is the future of gaming. A prime example of what a AAA studio can do when they put time into developing an ultra-polished VR title.

One thing I didn’t expect to be as good as it is, is the sound design. It really adds a whole new level to the immersion of the already amazingly detailed and atmospheric environments.
You’ll immediately get that same uneasy, dystopian feel that’s unmistakably Half Life.

Combat is tight and the gun-play feels good. Enemies react to damage as you would expect. On that note, headcrabs are terrifying again…
In typical HL fashion you’ll round a corner, couple zombies will wake up and a few headcrabs will drop through the air vents. I’ve come across a few of these little battle sequences so far. There’re always a couple explody barrels laying around that you can use in a number of inventive ways.

If I were forced to give some negatives, it would probably be the nature of VR itself, i.e. object manipulation and physical navigation.
Movement is a bit on the slow side, so running from enemies can be a bit stressful. Outside of combat it’s not an issue as the environments are so detailed that I’ve often caught myself just walking at minimum speed and admiring the surroundings.

The only other issue I’ve had with the movement is mantling over objects, I keep activating the gun selection menu by accident because the buttons are all so close together. I’m using a busted up 3 year old controller, so that’s more my own fault than the game’s.

All in all, this is GotY material and people should start paying attention.

Gameplay footage to follow soon!

5 Likes
1 Like

Can confirm, game is awesome. Also trust me to forget how to reload my gun when I face off against my first Zombie. Also the Gravity gloves is a good way of picking up items and fitting it into the context of the game.

haha that theme song. well done.

1 Like

First update out already and the most welcome addition is the Continous turning option.

2 Likes

Who said games can’t be educational?

3 Likes

One of the better reviews I’ve seen, nailed all the key points.

3 Likes