Introduce Yourself

We still have you outnumbered :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oof another victim

4 Likes

Welcome @Ani :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

5 Likes

Hiiiiiiiiiii :rocket:

I knew there had to be an introduction thread somewhere, just hadn’t found it yet.

Hi folks, I’m Ani, dogmother to Sydney, wife of @SIGSTART, lover of Space things.

Will crochet for edibles.

11 Likes

FINALLY!!! Took ol’ SIGGIE long enough to get you here :blush:

Oh, and welkommen, hope your stay is pleasant.

6 Likes

Welcome to the madhouse! You know where the edibles are, the cookies keep disappearing and the coffee and tea is always hot!

6 Likes

Welcome to MEW!

6 Likes

I don’t think he knows yet. I blame @Entity and @Wyvern. I’ve been lurking since Day 1. In the beginning it was an inside joke - my hubby starts his own forum and I refuse to register an account? I kept holding out against his repeated attempts to get me to sign up.

You see, the day we first met he convinced me to sign up for an account on a website he built for Tuks Computer, Electronic, and Electrical Engineering students, despite me being a filthy Mech Eng student. I wasn’t going to fall for that trick again! It led to him getting my cell number and a date or two…

Edit: just realised that I tagged him in my post, so maybe he does already know…

8 Likes

Welcome @Ani !

5 Likes

Welcome Ani!

6 Likes

Welcome @Ani!

5 Likes

Welcome! Great to have you join us unruly lot

6 Likes

Like our electrical guy likes to say, “people that failed electrical engineering become mechanical engineers” One of our mechanical engineers got very upset.

5 Likes

I started in MechEng and in 2nd year I realised I hated it. So I switched to Industrial instead. In retrospect, I probably didn’t hate Mech. I hated some of the lecturers who were either horrible people or horrible lecturers.

But I can see why the dude would be offended! MechEng is hard! Industrial was also tough but far more interesting to me, so I did better. It was an IEEE student website, so technically I wasn’t supposed to be there because I wasn’t IEEE, but I knew a guy. …

6 Likes

and like my dad likes to say, “being an electrician isn’t that hard it’s only three wires” :stuck_out_tongue:

Also welcome @Ani hope you enjoy it here.

5 Likes

Yes! Another Mechie joins MEW! Celebrate! Welcome! Our numbers grow!

Dagnabbit.

I think I’m roughly the same age as @SIGSTART, so I’m sure I know exactly which lecturers drove you to Industrial, and I can’t say I blame you! All my Industrial friends did always seem… happier.

4 Likes

What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers?

Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Civil engineers build targets.

5 Likes

I’m a bit younger than Sig, but you are probably right. 2nd year, 1st semester - Machine Design and Strength of Materials were the two killers.

I was one of 5 students who switched from Mech to Ind in the same week, right after the first test week. I think 95% of the class failed the first Mats test. The lecturer was impossible to follow, there was no reference to the textbook, and he refused to answer questions in class.

For Machine Design we needed an entire backpack full of books (including the SKF) plus drawing paper for prac. Naturally, we split the load in little groups. Lecturer caught on. Demanded we each make a pile of all the course materials in front of us and if we didn’t have every single item we could get out of his class. 2/3 of the class got kicked out of the prac. Another time he walked in, scribbled a problem on the board and told us to solve it by the end of the prac. Walked out again. We had no idea what he was asking us to do. We had to figure out the SKF by ourselves. It was a nightmare.

Ugh, ranting in the introduction thread, my apologies. Just remembering it makes me furious.

3 Likes

You definitely shouldn’t apologise for this! By withholding accepting a friend request on Discord you have achieved what I could not… getting @Ani to sign up to MEW.

Well done, @Entity!

6 Likes

Welcome @j0s3pH

hehehe

3 Likes