iRacing - The Ultimate in Sim Racing

The summary trailer now that its all live.

2 Likes

Allow me to share: I pulled a Leclerc tonight.

First ever iRacing pole position…

And then first ever iRacing WIN! So stoked! Zolder has been good to me in ACC and iRacing!

This was in split 6 out of 8, so it does not mean I am THAT fast, but still :wink:

2 Likes

Oooh, now its official!

5 Likes

Oh no! The iRacing community is in a flatspin about a new exploit allowing you to warm you tyres on your outlap, to a point where grip is increased so much it easily allows for more than a second improvement for the top split guys. You know, those guys who get happy about a tenth.

The exploit is brake dragging.

Brake dragging is where you drive fast while holding the brakes. This creates temp in the brakes, and this in turn warms the tyres. This is prefectly fine in real racing, no hassle. IRL there are consequences though. Higher temps mean more pressure, your brakes could fail, or overheat etc.

In iRacing though, the exploit, if used under 30kph, while turning, does not affect tyre pressures. So you will see guys driving 30kph, swerving left and right, while full throttle and medorating their spedd with braking. Looks so stupid.

It has now become clear that this exploit has been used by pros for ages, and it is only becoming a problem now that us plebs learn about it. Qualy is normally done in private. Everybody on track doing their 2 laps, within 8 minutes, but you cannot see other’s qualy laps, only times.

iRacing tried to implement automatic stewarding and this is giving so many false positives that regular drivers get a qualy ban. The ban normally says “irregular qualy behaviour”. I have seen guys getting banned because, seemingly, they were THE ONLY ONE NOT BRAKE DRAGGING! That makes it irregular…

Anyway, truth be told I am not affected in my lower splits, but if this negative perception carries on without a clear fix, iRacing might be in some trouble in the pro racing scene.

The easiest fix in my opinion is to make qualy sessions open, and let the community police themselves.

1 Like

That is quite the headache for them to try and sort out. Unless they can make the brake dragging increase the pressures so that it matches real life. That would be the best solution.

I get why they do private quali’s but half the fun and challenge is trying to find an open piece of track to get a good lap in whilst avoiding the slower cars. I guess they decided this method was better than having trolls ruin their rivals quali laps.

Thing is, people pay a lot of money to race in this sim so they are plenty entitled to expect a fix to be implemented as soon as possible.

2 Likes

We as sim racers have it so good. No other sport translates into gaming as well as racing.

4 Likes

This week sees the start of 2022 Season 3! And as usaul there are a host of new cars and tracks and features included in the season.

CARS

Mercedes’ recent partnership with iRacing continues.

Two of Mercedes-AMG’s most successful GT machines make their debut in Season 3, with the GT3 2020 stepping in for its predecessor and the GT4 joining that ever-expanding class. This pair of vehicles has found extensive success in sports car racing in both North America and Europe in recent seasons, with both having won their class in the prestigious Nurburgring 24 Hours.

The favourite track toy Radical SR8 is being relegated to the LEGACY bin and the new SR10 is available.

Radical Motorsports SR10 prototype brings the performance of top-tier sports car and prototype programs to track-day racers and country club members for a fraction of the cost. The next generation of the British manufacturer’s sports cars takes the already impressive developments of the SR8 and refines them with a new 2.3-liter Ford Ecoboost engine, six-speed sequential transmission, and other performance improvements that make the SR10’s driving experience comparable to the most impressive professional race cars in the world.

The SR10 produces 425 horsepower with 380 lb-ft of torque, taking it from 0 to 60 miles per hour in a blistering 2.4 seconds. Weighing just 725 kilograms, its low weight-to-power ratio makes it one of the most nimble machines imaginable. And utilized in numerous one-make series around the world, there are plenty of places for real-world drivers to develop their skills in the SR10 and put them to good use.

TRACKS

Its been a long time coming, and the Fuji International Speedway is finally available!

The narrow Sandown track Down Under is an Aussie V8 Supercars fan’s favourite, which will likely see a rotation for both the Supercars and other sportscars.

Finally is the Port Royale Speedway, a dirt oval which, to be honest, looks the same as all the other dirt ovals…

FEATURES

Finally! The scheduling of races was always a bit of a pain, knowing what to race and when. But now you get a mobile app with schedules, reminders, news and pretty profile settings :wink:

Find out more HERE

Available for IOS and Android.

The App UI interface also has a refresh and it is becoming more and more usable. I know a lot of people still use the old web interface but the app really is pretty decent right now.

For the full list of updates and features, look at the iRacing website

3 Likes

Each big season update has added such amazing content. I have some serious FOMO

3 Likes

Just in case my post above was TL:DR, here is a nice short summary video

2 Likes

7 minutes of really close fun racing. My highlight is at the 2 minute mark :wink:

Also, have I shown off my custom livery yet? Comments welcome! Not so sure about the prancing horse on the door… Also, lots of sponsor space… wink-wink :wink:

5 Likes

Is the slipstream tow in iRacing strong? Why does the #1 Best Bud Ferrari keep moving off the racing line on the Start/Finish straight? And an AlphaTauri Merc?? :face_vomiting:

Your livery is stellar! So much so that the small flag on the bonnet (and maybe even the one on the rear bumper) is almost overkill :smiley:

2 Likes

The slipstream is not that powerful, no. But when it makes you feel like a pro, go for it. His deception of faking into the pits is just dumb though.

1 Like

I nearly missed this. 2022 Season 4 started on Tuesday.

The green flag is waving for iRacing 2022 Season 4! This season includes the release of iRacing’s first fully electric race car, the Porsche Mission R, a pair of new European Road Courses, Motorsport Arena Oschersleben and Rudskogen Motorsenter, and a new Dirt Oval, Lucas Oil Speedway.

TL:DR video

NEW PORSCHE MISSION R

One of the automotive industry’s premier brands steps into the future with the Porsche Mission R, Porsche’s first all-electric GT racing car and the first-ever electric car to come to iRacing. Designed to match the established Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car in terms of performance, the Mission R generates more than 800 kilowatts of power from its dual electric motors, the car accelerates from 0-100 kilometers per hour (0-60 mph) in under 2.5 seconds.

FREE TRACK - Rudskogen Motorsenter

For more than 30 years, Rudskogen Motorsenter has served as Norway’s oldest asphalt racetrack. Opened in May 1990, the track sits in an ideal spot for racing: not only does its forest terrain provide a scenic backdrop and ideal variation in elevation (nearly 140 feet), but the track’s southern location also enables it to stay open for driving experiences for as long as possible each year. From the Porsche Carrera Cup to Gatebil, it’s one of Scandinavia’s most prominent hosts of professional racing events.

TRACK - Motorsport Arena Oschersleben

Germany’s Motorsport Arena Oschersleben became the fourth permanent racing facility to open in Germany when its doors first opened in 1997. A longtime host of FIA GT, DTM, and international touring car events, it will welcome the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series for the first time in 2023, and currently serves as the host of the FIM Sidecar World Championship for motorcycles.

TRACK - Lucas Oil Speedway

Wheatland, Missouri’s Lucas Oil Speedway is a motorsport playground unlike almost any other in America. This 3/8 mile dirt oval located in a former agricultural field in 2001. Three years later, Lucas Oil purchased the facility and rebuilt it, renovating both the track and its surrounding amenities to become one of the premier facilities in the country.

2 Likes
1 Like

I kinda missed this, but the iRacing - BMW partnership continues with the new BMW Hypercar making its way to iRacing:

2 Likes

I know a lot a of people cannot afford iRacing, and I get it. But there is a Black Friday Special for membership renewals and re-activations of 25% off.

Not sure if anybody is still racing or if its just me. But feel free to use my referal if you do sign up:

3 Likes

Fixed

1 Like

There comes a time when you have spent too much on the cars and tracks that it would be less wasteful to just subscribe…

And thats how they get you!

1 Like

The latest season dropped last week with quite a few improvements and some new content.

The active reset is a very cool feature to practice that one set of corners where you need some more practise!

2 Likes

Oh man, that active reset feature is very cool! The number of times I’ve wish I could just repeat a tricky corner over and over until I get it right. It looks like a good update all round.

2 Likes