MEW F1 2019 League Races [MEWRL]

Lol I only crashed against one person. The other was an error on the first lap where I followed @Avatar off track. But 3 wins out of 5 is still good enough. Plus I think I had all the fastest laps bar one track, USA.

Thank everyone it was a great session. Looking forward to the season.

4 Likes

I think we touched in that T1 adventure, I remember losing the back end there. It could’ve just been an overzealous right foot, but it felt like bumping action :slight_smile: I’ll have to check replays to be sure.

2 Likes

Yeah it was some bumping action. I got spooked off the track when you missed then braking zone, leaving me to go wide and into the back of you. That spun me out, but I don’t think you span.

2 Likes

I didn’t spin, but I definitely had sideways action going! :smiley: Lost a bunch of time, but managed to get back on track without any further issues. You did manage to get me back at T1 on the last lap, though! :smiley:

So, Hammer, how do you get to pull away from the pack like in Austria, of catch up like in COTA? Obviously skill comes in, but is there a setup factor? Strategy? What’s your secret?

2 Likes

no life. hopefully now with the girlfriend in the picture, he will go downhill.

3 Likes

That argument doesn’t hold - I also don’t have a life, but I’m shit…

2 Likes

I guess its a combination of lots and lots of practice and finding a setup of the car that you feel very confident in. The issue when driving like we do is sometimes people can be a bit too timid in some corners. It is mainly due to not having confidence in the car that you are driving. With F1 I feel very comfortable with the setup I use and have that confidence going into corners that I know where the car will stick and how it will brake. But games like iRacing I am still learning and getting to grips with the car, thus have less confidence and I’m slower.

2 Likes

That makes sense. The biggest surprise I had (I think I last played F1 2017, or 2016… before HALO, I think!) was how big an influence tyre deg had on my braking point, and how one lap’s poor braking caused me to have several slow laps following.

I guess I’ll have to practise more!

2 Likes

I watched about 1 and a half races while my data lasted, good quality stream :+1:
I’d be keen to join you guys sometime eventually.

4 Likes

Thanks to all those that came racing last night, and also to all those that popped into Discord and @Oltman’s stream - you all rock!! :metal: Sorry that the League configuration was so messed up - still can’t figure out what the heck happened with all of the drivers from last season.

Double :+1::+1: to the racers that joined our League for the first time last night. It was a lot of fun last year already, and with so many more real humans for me to drive into now, this season is going to be even better!

No worries mate. Glad that you could at least hear us. I was also having random issues with Discord last night (and before to be honest) - it just doesn’t like my PC for some reason. In previous events I’ve used the Discord App on my phone while we race, and that seemed to work quite well.

Even after listening to us talk smack at each other last night? :slight_smile: Glad to hear you’re still keen to come back!

:smile: Savage. And optimistic - it’ll probably just spur him on to go even faster so that he can finish the races quicker and spend more time with her.

Two out of five podiums in your “rookie” race session says differently.

Eskom willing, we look forward to having you back! Although, your AI was good enough to get you a couple of P4s last night, so I don’t know…

Here’s the Race Results from last night:

Bahrain Short:

SilverstoneShort:

Suzuka Short:

USA Short:

Austria:

Sadly, @oltman and @DieGrootHammer never completed formal scrutineering, so they were excluded from all the race results for technical infringements. So, congratulations @Talentloos and @Avatar - Top 2 at the end of the your first season! :smiley:

Tyres and tyre management are going to be a big challenge for everyone in our full season races. We’ll be running full race weekends (Practice, Qualifying and Race Sessions) with simulated tyre degradation, so all those silly lock-ups and Lap 1 pit stops with the hope of going all the way to the end on a set of tyres are going to have to be thought about.

And we’d definitely be keen to have you - and anyone else! I really want to eventually have more human drivers than AI in our races.

Thanks again everyone! I’ll have details about the new league I’ve had to create and the Full F1 Season soon, but in the interim please pop a vote below for which evening next week works best for you for Round 1 - Australia.

Vote for your preferred evening/s for Round 1 - Australia next week (you can vote for up to 3). Assume a start time of 8:30PM SAST/7:30PM CET same as last night

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

0 voters

2 Likes

Remeber my crash and the pit lane entrance? I could have finished 2nd. aaaaaaaaach
I have to get steering wheel , my hands were stuck after last race, i thought my fingers will be stuck for ever :smiley:

2 Likes

Guys, which of these 2 you recommend?
Logitech G29 Driving Force or Thrustmaster TMX PRO

2 Likes

I was spectating and just landed on you when it happened, I felt so sorry for you! The angle you crashed at also made a quick recovery impossible…

2 Likes

Thank you that you understand my feelings :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s more knowledgeable guys who’ll make a turn past here with their thoughts. For me, from what I’ve read, they are fairly similar and fairly evenly recommended, with the Thrustmaster maybe slightly higher if it’s the Pro version.

I and a couple of the other guys have the Logitech G920 (the PC/Xbox variant of the G29). I got mine on a Black Friday special, but did read at the time a recommendation (on Windows Central site if I remember) that if you will only be playing on PC that the G29 is as good, if not slightly better even, than the G920.

3 Likes

I believe the reason for the G29 being preferred is the extra buttons it has

3 Likes

I got a G29 with shifter from @aldyr but zero experience with the thrustmaster.
If you want to know anything about the G29 ask away. I’m 100% happy with it, Assetto, Dirt Rally 1 & 2, PCars 1 & 2, F1 17 & 18, Wreckfest, never had any config issues.
I had one mechanical issue, but it’s anecdotal. The cable connecting the buttons to the board inside the base got damaged over time from all the twisting (causing every single button to get triggered all at the same time in the middle of any sharp corner), replaced the whole cable and it’s good as new.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback, i checked and the G29 cost here 230 euro , more than i wanted to spend, but ok, i cant destroy my fingers or drive with lego :smiley: so the price is reasonable and doesnt end my life so, i guess i take it

2 Likes

and i buy new as i dont know how the guys on ebay used them so might be some demage, better new i guess

3 Likes

Logitech G29
Newer logitech sofware, isn’t compatible with very old games, but does support all the latest and great/shiniest racing games.
Uses geared motor, so can feel jerky at times, depending on how game has integrated with drivers.
Wheel itself feels more like quality.
Optional shifter feels like toy, but throw length is great.
Works in linux
Same software you run for your mouse/keyboard/headphones/beer dispenser
Brake pedal has lower resolution than most similarly spec’d thrustmaster brake pedals. What this amounts to in reality is, you have less control over braking than you think. But not so little, that it’s actually going to ruin your life.
Best price, between the 2 options, usually even including the extra money needed to buy the shifter.
Possibly the best supported mount points, since they haven’t changed them since the G25. It is a combination of clamps and screws on the wheel base and shifter, and screws on the pedals.
Well known modding community.
Logitech support is awesome, because warranty is life.

Thrustmaster
Drivers are pretty bare bones, but work with most racing games, unless it’s Outrun, i suppose
Uses belt driven motor, so force feedback feel is smoother.
The rubber thrustmaster uses on their base wheels is not great if you sweating like a hoe in church.
BUUUUT, thrustmaster does have fantastic extra wheel’s you can buy, to add to the list of wheel choice, per game. To be clear, this is the wheel itself, not including the base. And there’s a variety sold locally.
Companion thrustmaster shifter (TH8A) is just better than the logitech shifter in every way. It even works with non thrustmaster stuff. But more expensive.
Doesn’t work in linux
Brake pedal is mushy. But it does come with a rubber stopper to add more resistance.
Not cheap, but the extras for thrustmaster are better than the logitech offering. Meaning you can build up from complete starter vibes, to like a very satisfying setup with all their peripherals.
Mount points are mostly screw clamps, so works pretty much everywhere.
Thrustmaster support is the same, if it breaks in warranty, they’ll replace or fix.

Lastly, regarding reliability. Ignore it. If you’re buying something, make sure the guarantee/warranty is there. Don’t be scared by others that had bad experience. It may or may not be relevant to you. If I had listened to all those people, I would have never owned any wheels. And possibly killed myself in a real car, rather.

Best of luck with your decision, there is no wrong decision.

5 Likes