MEW F1 2019 League Races [MEWRL]

Issues like spelling…

4 Likes

Thats more than spelling. Thats wording.

2 Likes

The people are coming to install my router on the roof this week. Don’t have a specific date yet but hopefully that will fix my internet woes.

3 Likes

Here I was thinking you were going to climb onto your roof and tape your router onto the roof.

2 Likes

Haha I tried doing it myself but when I got onto the roof I was petrified. It never used to be a problem but I can’t do heights anymore.

2 Likes

So ready for this race! I need to defend my lead!

1 Like

Ugh, I just can’t seem to race. Sorry guys, will have to work tonight.

2 Likes

My fibre has been down for 3 days now and I have no idea whether or not it will be ready for tonight. So I’m a tentative at this moment.

3 Likes

There’s now a chance again that I can race. Will have to see how the day goes.

It sucks about your internet @DieGrootHammer!

4 Likes

Nope, internet is still a crap shoot, so I have to miss tonight. Sorry guys, I was really looking forward to the race.

3 Likes

That sucks, we get Soli back but lose you :confused:

We’re starting 20:30, right?

3 Likes

No man! We need the full roster! If you cannot race, please watch the stream here:

5 Likes

I did not think I’d ever see the day! :trophy:
Good racing guys. I’m slowly getting better at this F1 thing.

4 Likes

Nicely done y’all! And props to @Slinx on the win - sounds like @Konck and you had a good battle for P1.

Sorry for league save issues again - it’s beyond frustrating. I’ll rebuild a new league over the weekend and send invites out and we’ll pick things up again from Austria. Hopefully our 3rd league setup for this season will be the last one we need!

As reward for the 10 drivers that did stick it out through the irritations, and did run the French GP, all 10 get points. Sorry to the absent drivers - we weren’t able to use AI Substitutes in our Unranked race, so no quarter points for you this time around.

Here’s the Race Results that I’ll use for our League Standings:

Top points for Slinx while @Oltman claims the Fastest Lap bonus point. And a huge shoutout to @czc as well for sticking with it and scoring his first legit league point in only his 3rd race - that’s better than Sainz, Giovinazzi, Kubica, Russel and Grosjean in last years’ IRL F1 season :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nicely done everyone. Next one I want to be there.

I got my work finished yesterday but my pc went into a disk repair loop. Had to format and start again. Turns out there were lots of bad sectors from the last power failure and I didn’t format the drive when I set up Windows. Installed Macrium Reflect now too. Tired of setting up Windows the whole time.

Next race I want to come kick ass.

3 Likes

So my internet came back at 20:30 last night, but by then I already had a beer and a bit in me and we all know you don’t drink and drive. Glad you all had a good time last night. Sad I couldn’t join in the fun. Well done to @SlinX on the win.

3 Likes

After last night’s race I realise that I need help. I get so caught up in getting a good start that I way underestimate the T1 braking point and fly through wreaking havoc :confounded:

I really need to stop relying on the racing line for my braking, it’s easy enough to follow when you’ve got open track in front of you but not so much in a full field of cars.

Funny thing is that I don’t use the racing line at all in Assetto Corsa and manage to work out those braking points. F1 is a bit trickier though.

1 Like

For F1, breaking points are tricky and the racing line does help. But like you said, you cannot race competitively with it on. you’ll have to test and train on each track finding the breaking zones.

Luckily with F1 that is not that difficult. ACC and AC is much more difficult to find the right breaking zones. In F1, you will always look for either the 100m or the 50m markers. Most (like 90) of corners in the game will be fine to break at those, or just after or before them. It’s simple really. Seeing as the F1 cars have such amazing breaks, those are the only boards you will need.

Take the next track we have on the calendar, Austria. I’ll try and guide from memory:

T1 - Start breaking at the 100 board, late breaking can start from like 80m out, but then you need to ace your turn in
T2 (the real one, the 90 degree up on the hill) - hard breaking zone, start just before the 100m board, late breaking can be from the 100m board
T3 - Another hard breaking zone, can start just after the 100 board, but rather practice from the 100 board first to get the feel for how hard you need to break down hill
T4 - Light breaking zone so only bad the breaks at 50m
T5 - Light breaking zone, so start breaking from like 10m before the curbs start on the right hand side of the track
T6 - Flat out no breaking needed, just check your speed and ensure you are through the corner before giving it the beans
T7 - Light break zone, wait until 50m board
T8 - No boards to show you, but break from around about 60m out, also not the hardest breaking zone

So most corners you’ll only need to use 100 and 50 as markers. Use 100 is its a hard breakzone, and 50 if it is a lighter break zone. Practice on track like that and you will soon see where you can either break earlier or later to make the track.

For racing if you want to keep the breaking line on, on lap one or when you’re in traffic, rather lift and coast when the line starts turning green. This way you will create a gap between yourself and the car ahead to nail the breaking zone. Lift and coast ESPECIALLY into T1 on lap 1. It is never needed to go flat out, and don’t worry if someone dives you, you’ll make the corner and they probably not. Rather wait until the passing zones on the track.

4 Likes

Thanks man, I will definitely try that out. Will work on it in some time trial laps. Might do a practice GP against AI so I get the feel for driving in traffic at T1

3 Likes

It most likely extends into all racing games as well. I used to be terrible at driving around other humans, so much so that it became intimidating just to be on the track with other people. Nobody wants to be “that guy” that wrecks half the field every race.
It’s kinda something that you only get good at by practicing, making mistakes IRL and learning from them. Personally, I also watched a ton of iRacing streams, I feel like it helped with maneuvering around people, giving them space, not running people off-track and just generally understanding your own track presence.

My random 2c, use it, don’t use it :man_shrugging:

P.S. remember, it takes 2 to tango (sometimes 4 or 5)

5 Likes