MEW Gardening Thread

Did you also grill it to release the sugars?

Yup! I also put a bit of mesquite on the coals and grill the peppers in a roasting pan on my weber.

Whelp, I always knew I was developing a problem. It had sprouted, but now it is fully flowering!

At my new house, I’ve ripped up and cleaned out a lot of the garden areas, and have about 75 seeds of 15 varieties of chilies planted in various locations.

They’ve also given me use of the greenhouse, so I spend the past two Sundays pulling weeds. Its looking way better now, but the weeds are trying to come back. I’ve covered as much as the ground as I can, which is helping a lot. I hope to be able to start planting in the next week or three, once my massive batch of seeds starts to sprout. Yup, I’ve got about 250 seeds going of 16 varieties of chilies in the works.

I think I might be able to plant 120 of them in the greenhouse :expressionless:

1 Like

O that sounds wonderful I only have space for like 6. Just need to remove the corn in one planter and replace it with chilies

1 Like

What variety(ies) are you looking at replacing your corn with?

Spray the weeds just with vinegar - kills them and doesnt really hurt anything ese

1 Like

How much vinegar per square meter? The pH is pretty high in the soil so I think the acidic nature of vinegar could help the peppers too!

1 Like

We just put pure vinegar into a spray bottle and spray all the weeds - sommer the cheapest you can find at checkers - we buy the 2L and that covers a fair bit - I tend to overdo it tho - I soak the weeds and within a few days they are gone.

1 Like

I have a 2L in my cupboard I could start with. I need some bigger watering containers I think. I have irrigation in the greenhouse (need a few odds and ends to fix it up), but unless I get some kind of mixer/infuser, it won’t help with the vinegar. I was thinking of getting one of those 8-16L tanks you wear on your back.

That is what we have - the 8L one is great. That covers a huge area in one go

1 Like

I think I killed some pot plants once spraying them with vinegar. I might have overdone it.

2 Likes

I actually put about 75ml of vinegar in 4L of water on the weekend for 8-10 potted plants to try and get the pH down. We had a lot of rain this weekend so I’m not sure if it will have made a difference…

1 Like

I am thinking 2 red habaneros and one more orange one.

1 Like

Can I ask how you measure your pH?
Reason is because I think some of my plants are showing signs of improper pH in the soil (may have went a bit wild with fertilizer), but I don’t know how to check.
How do you know if it’s above or below what is considered a normal pH?
I’ve kinda just been trying to flush it out using excessive amounts of water.

P.S. hallow gaiz, I also garden sometimes, tomatoes, green pepper, chillies, [REDACTED], various herbs, brocolli, spinach.

1 Like

I love habaneros :drooling_face:

I have 12 seeds germinating, and I’m considering getting another pack. Not sure where I’ll put 'em though!

1 Like

Too much fertilizer can cause nutrient burn. I know for peppers, it likes between 6.0 and 6.5 pH. Higher or lower, it can actually lock out certain nutrients that it needs. Flushing can help nutrient burn, but at the same time, things like chilies can get root rot from too much water.

For testing, I’m just using a cheap-o meter. I got something like this at a local wholesaler (open to the public) for I think R90 or so… I can’t say for sure if it is very accurate, but when I added some vinegar to the soil yesterday, it did change a little more acidic.

Balanced pH is 8 iirc.

You gonna share some of that [REDACTED] with the rest of us? :smiley:

1 Like

Ah thanks, I’m sure I can find one of those locally. Would put my mind at ease knowing that I’m not scorching my plants with acid.

:grimacing:
It’ll be awhile till harvest, no fancy setups like some people have, just nature doing it’s thing.

2 Likes

I lol’d.

1 Like

Good tip, will try this next season. I suck at gardening btw, but I try… sometimes.

1 Like

Trust me the only thing I am keeping alive is a tiny ficus :stuck_out_tongue: