The Sim Racing Rig Thread

I’ve got a license for Solidworks, and the weldments feature is specifically designed to easily draw structures with I-beams and channels, and it works really well with Alu extrudes as well. I’m going to try MAY-CAD, though, just to compare. I’ll report back!

EDIT: Moduasm has cad files!! I love them!

4 Likes

Guys,

Does anybody know of someone that wants to sell there setup?

1 Like

@oltman where is the photos of your fan mod??? :stuck_out_tongue:

I need a safe way to mount the Arduino to my rig… Without shorting it out. So no cable ties…

1 Like

Inside a kosblik?

2 Likes

So, a small update :wink:

Through a serious of fortunate events and incredible generosity, I managed to get 3 of those XCEED-ingly good monitors from Checkers! (See @Darthmol’s thread)

It has long been a dream to have 3 monitors, as the level of immersion is next level (ta dum tiss), and some driving accuracy is just a bonus. I now see apexes for sharp corners easier and I can judge when to accelerate better.

I am under no illusion that guys drive way better than me on far worse rigs, but that is just proof that I need all the help I can get.

For example, Ty Majeski, a pro racer, has more than 10k iRating, yet drives on THIS:

But I digress.

This is my new monitors in position. Please ignore cable management and position. Trying to source some table mounted arms to get the screens closer to the wheel so I can have a better FOV.

Tonight will be my first race with these monitors and I am SUPER excited!

Special thanks to my significant other, you ROCK hard, Lumpy!

9 Likes

Oh man, that must be heaven. Are those 60Hz monitors, or something faster?

1 Like

They’re 144Hz monitors :grin:

2 Likes

Very nice setup. Enjoy it!

2 Likes

oh my PP

Valhalla

3 Likes

Looks right proper mate! Wish you may happy miles of going cross-eyed trying to watch all 3 monitors at the same time, all of the time! :joy: What would do without our significant others?!

2 Likes

That looks so unbelievably cool dude. You have created Sim racing nirvana. I am infinitely jealous and hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Those are 144hz, yes. Struggled to get Nvidia surround to work as expected as 2 are on HDMI and 1 on display port. So they are seen as 3 monitors and games run in windowed mode. I dont care, it is buttery smooth and amazing.

Setting up streaming was a challenge, but I am now streaming from the onboard HDMI port :joy:

2 Likes

It looks great @oltman! I’m very happy for you. :smile:

2 Likes

@oltman How much did this sim frame cost, seat included?

1 Like

Seat and frame about R6k. If you read up above you will get all the tools and I am happy to help with anything :grin:

The seat is a Golf R seat I got from a mod shop second hand. There are plenty to be found if you shop around.

1 Like

Ok, so that’s definitely worth it, since the only place I found that sells it outright, could cost R12k.
i’m a little puzzle about the design, because i would need a shifter and handbrake fitted, that’s already sagging my current mount :thinking: I assume you don’t use any? or are your photos old?

1 Like

@aldyr

3 Likes

@oltman used Modular Assembly South Africa for his aluminum extrusion. They’re actually our sister company, but unfortunately our employee discount has been revoked due to COVID. :sob:

I do however have a lot of experience with the stuff so I happy to help with the design in general. We use that extrusion a lot at our company. Anything from conveyors, assembly tables and even entire industrial machines. I also have a lot of experience with lasercut parts so I can help there too if you need anything custom designed.

6 Likes

I dont use a shifter or handbrake, but it should be fairly easy to add a sturdy side mount for them. Download that cad app (May-Cad.com) and play around. Super easy to use and you get to see exactly what it looks like before spending a cent!

Also, sounds like @Konck has all the contacts :grin:

1 Like