The Sim Racing Rig Thread

Thanks everyone!

Those are 144hz, yes. Struggled to get Nvidia surround to work as expected as 2 are on HDMI and 1 on display port. So they are seen as 3 monitors and games run in windowed mode. I dont care, it is buttery smooth and amazing.

Setting up streaming was a challenge, but I am now streaming from the onboard HDMI port :joy:

2 Likes

It looks great @oltman! Iā€™m very happy for you. :smile:

2 Likes

@oltman How much did this sim frame cost, seat included?

1 Like

Seat and frame about R6k. If you read up above you will get all the tools and I am happy to help with anything :grin:

The seat is a Golf R seat I got from a mod shop second hand. There are plenty to be found if you shop around.

1 Like

Ok, so thatā€™s definitely worth it, since the only place I found that sells it outright, could cost R12k.
iā€™m a little puzzle about the design, because i would need a shifter and handbrake fitted, thatā€™s already sagging my current mount :thinking: I assume you donā€™t use any? or are your photos old?

1 Like

@aldyr

3 Likes

@oltman used Modular Assembly South Africa for his aluminum extrusion. Theyā€™re actually our sister company, but unfortunately our employee discount has been revoked due to COVID. :sob:

I do however have a lot of experience with the stuff so I happy to help with the design in general. We use that extrusion a lot at our company. Anything from conveyors, assembly tables and even entire industrial machines. I also have a lot of experience with lasercut parts so I can help there too if you need anything custom designed.

6 Likes

I dont use a shifter or handbrake, but it should be fairly easy to add a sturdy side mount for them. Download that cad app (May-Cad.com) and play around. Super easy to use and you get to see exactly what it looks like before spending a cent!

Also, sounds like @Konck has all the contacts :grin:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a little bit of experience with aluminium extrusions as well, and loads with laser/waterjet cutting and bending, Iā€™d be happy to dust off the Solidworks install and assist.

Edit:
@Konck: It might be worthwhile doing a thorough costing on manufacturing theseā€¦ Iā€™ve got a feeling we can beat most prices in the market right now.

3 Likes

Not a bad idea. You can get the extrusion exactly where you want it. Unfortunately thereā€™s no custom bracket options, but you can get the bulk sorted out.

Also not a bad idea, especially with the cost of importing stuff right now. :thinking:

2 Likes

Gotta start them out young. This is actually genius :smile:

4 Likes

Teach them how to dive bomb

1 Like

Iā€™m absolutely broken right now, but I finished putting together the new rig this morning 5h30

10 Likes

Dude that looks amazing!

2 Likes

Looks good.

1 Like

That looks great @aldyr! Where did you get it from? Did you build everything yourself?

1 Like

Thatā€™s great work!!

Could you share your cheat sheets on the wall there?

2 Likes

All that effort and you couldnā€™t rotate the picture?!?

Just kidding, awesome setup @aldyr

3 Likes

I was rather lazy, so went the shop route, and bought it from https://www.thegamingnetwork.co.za/ Much more expensive, when someone else does the headwork, but iā€™m happy. But yoh, no diagrams, except 3 cad design screenshots. And the number of times I had to take it apart because I needed to slide a connector in from the end of the t-slot. Zoey was like, bitch please, you missed a bolt. Amateur!.

4 Likes

Very slick! But where do you fit your pancake monitor?