Need advice on a really good, long lasting non stick frying pan

So many opinions and reviews on products out there. I just want to get one that lasts a long time, preferably a 28-30cm one and under R1k

2 Likes

Replying to subscribe to the thread, I am also keen to see the results.

2 Likes

I have my eye on

or

As an example, but it is hard to find out how these perform a year later

3 Likes

Avoid teflon and go for ceramic. I have a ceramic wok and it is great. The only problem is I used a wood spatula and broke some ceramic off…

3 Likes

I’ll ask my lady but I think we have a Tefal set…as long as I stay away from them (i tend to stir shit with a fork, that i then eat with, less to clean up) then they keep their non stick. suits me fine, i’m happy for my lady to do the (pot based) cooking :smiley:

3 Likes

Tefal and Le Creuset are both great brands to buy pans for. They are on the expensive side, but definitely a great investment. Just please do not use any metal utensils when working with the pans!

2 Likes

I bought a Tefal set. Not nearly the quality that was posted on that yuppiechef link, but I am not happy with them at all. I bought then in 2014, and they’ve all got chunks of teflon missing, and the handles become loose and need tightening all the time.

And I only use plastic utensils on them.

2 Likes

https://www.home.co.za/pdp/s-p-george-calombaris-frying-pan-28cm/_/A-154101AAAO2

This pan

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove mine, I recently got it for myself, after we got one for Nima about 2 years ago. After 2 years, it is still in 99% condition, you can literally throw any sticky cheese in the pan and it will not stick.

I got lucky and grabbed their floor model, which has a tiny dent in it - barely noticeable - only when you put the lid on - for R800)

To give you an idea, I heat up the pan, then a drop of butter (this pan you need minute amounts of oil/fat in the pan its amazing for healthy cooking) I then take the pan off the heat, crack an egg into it, splash of water, put the lid on within 3 mins you have a perfect soft sunnyside up egg.

Only use wooden or nonstick items in the pan.

Also this pan is a little bit deeper than normal, so I make pasta, risotto and stews in it.

2 Likes

I recently bought a Tefal Extra 30cm, its soooo nice :smiley:
I can’t comment on long lasting however since it’s still new.

1 Like

How well does it cook without any oils/butters? Can you throw in an omelette and cook it without it sticking?

1 Like

I use a little spray and cook in those cases, but honestly if the food has any fat in it, I dont bother.
Or if the food can use water as a base - I dont think I have tried it completely dry yet, but seriously I think this pan can do it.

1 Like

This pan seems like a serious contender for my money.

2 Likes

Dude a friend had the 24cm pot and I made risotto in it, and managed to get the rice to form a crust without burning.

Do you know how hard that is to do!?!

This is the reason I grabbed it for Nima, and now for myself. It takes us over 6months to use 500ml of olive oil

1 Like

I see you mention that you only use wooden implements. What kind of wooden spatulas do you use and can you use plastic?

2 Likes

Plastic is fine, we just have a couple of wooden spoons/bamboo spoons that I use as well. I have discovered in this pan something that works amazing is silicone implements:

https://www.yuppiechef.com/kitchen-inspire.htm?id=18561&name=Kitchen-Inspire-Silicone-Spatula

I should add I just grabbed some cheapie plastic utensils to dish up with from the crazy store and it works like a bomb

2 Likes

We grew up with AMC in our household, and I swear by the brand. They are the best! Granted they are expensive but it is lifetime cookware.

2 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing! My dad was looking for an oven safe pan, and this fits the bill. Price seems sensible too. Out of stock though :frowning:

2 Likes

Phone your nearest store -I have a feeling they are removing these from stock and I still want to get at least one pot!
They do have these - https://www.home.co.za/pdp/s-and-p-quantum-pots-and-pans/_/A-334101AE0;jsessionid=1W2HxehzZ5THTSWfT5VeS3uKMQ3RpcSvVeNV0A27.tfg-prd-com-85

I havent found an alternative that I love like this. I am THAT fussy in the kitchen (Ask @DieGrootHammer about the knives i would bring when we would have a braai cos I didnt trust his :P)

1 Like

i was just gonna post that exact same pan hahahaha

these pans really are good. they keep their shape and work awesomely! This pan also allows for oilfree cooking. i have made many a dry-rubed stake in it

2 Likes

Dis n amazing pan ne! jirre dat ek so kan drool oor n pan :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes