Need advice on a really good, long lasting non stick frying pan

Nope the uk does tuna and sweetcorn as well and it is disgusting

1 Like

Just had my first banana omelette in my new pan :wink: It finally got here. Made it with just a banana and an egg. No oil, no butter, no seasoning, no sugar.

It worked beautifully!

Thanks @Wyvern for suggesting it

4 Likes

Yay Im happy you like it!

This was a year ago - letā€™s ask @Shrike for an update on his pan. Does @Wyvernā€™s recommendation still hold true? @Beo needs to know!

3 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, I bought this pan as a birthday present for my father a year ago, and he loves it:

Itā€™s the one Wyvern recommended

4 Likes

@Beo My pan is still going strong, the non stick on it has faded a little, it is not as good as it was but it still works well.

4 Likes

Non-stick pans donā€™t last. I tried a ceramic wok and the ceramic coating started chipping in the first month.

Cast iron is the way to go, and youā€™ll hand it down over generations if you keep is seasoned properly.

I still need to get myself one. And a gas stove. Screw electric.

3 Likes

But its so reliable.

Is there a specific type of cast iron to get? I looked at the ones in the braai section at game but they seem super rough for use in the kitchen on a normal stove.

2 Likes

I mean, reliable is nice, but the time it takes to heat up or cool down sucks. Some things require a quick change in temperature.

I donā€™t have any recommendations on a specific brand. I havenā€™t done that kind of research. I have my doubts cast iron will be effective on an electric stove, but it might still work. If I ever have enough cash to get one, Iā€™ll do a lot of research and post hereā€¦

I wouldnā€™t worry too much about the roughness of cast iron. If you season it properly, it will be as non-stick as any of the chemically coated options.

3 Likes

Is a salt and pepper enough, or shall we add additional spices or just use a rub?

5 Likes

I was expecting a rant about Eskom. :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah, gas is awesome for quick changes. Have you ever used an induction stove?

4 Likes

Ya, induction stoves are the better electrical option, and theyā€™re so easy to clean, but I still prefer gas.

I didnā€™t even consider load shedding/outages in that post, but it is certainly valid that gas is the best option for that as well. And gas is cheaper to use than a tradtional electric. Not sure about how much an induction costs to run.

Then thereā€™s the whole ā€˜induction compatibleā€™ scenario and Iā€™d need all new pots and pans if I switched over. And then Iā€™d go cast iron anyways so gas is still the way to go!

2 Likes

Also helps if youā€™re not getting enough iron in your diet!

1 Like

Good point, I do have an induction stove top, if thatā€™s worth mentioning.

2 Likes

It uses about 1.7kw/h to run, which I think is about the same as some of the plates on an electric stove. The savings come in due to the fact that the induction plate works 40% faster. It also works faster than gas, but I think gas still works out cheaper. (Plus you can cook during loadshedding)

As far as pans are concerned, I bought a Bauer with granite coating a couple of years ago that still works peachy. However, I donā€™t think it works on induction and I canā€™t find it anywhere for sale anymore.

2 Likes

What a coincidence

2 Likes

Apologies, I posted this quite late without giving much input or thought into it.

I wonder how the quality of this holds up, Iā€™ve never heard of this Greenpan brand. Looking at the ā€œfeaturesā€ it seems to be acceptable for induction and to my surprise oven as well.

I know @DieGrootHammer recommended ceramic, does this then mean that no coating will be coming off after months of usage? I will also need to get a few proper utensils for any new pan I get.

2 Likes

I read a few good reviews for that pan, but the non-stick coating will wear off. One review said ā€œwith prolonged exposure to high heatā€. Might not be an issue for a frying pan, but could be an issue for a pot thatā€™ll be on the burner for a couple hours.

I have a ceramic coated wok. The ceramic started chipping within the first couple of months.

If you want it to last, cast iron or carbon steel are the best from the research Iā€™ve done.

Also, non-stick pans are usually aluminum, which will warp. Iā€™ve a cheap pan or two like thisā€¦

This isnā€™t the article I found a couple weeks ago when I was seeing if I could do anything with the chipped wok, but it has a nice comparison table

1 Like

I mean nothing really wrong with the stainless sets I have, just tired of everything sticking vas to the pan.

Thanks for sharing your research and whatnot.

2 Likes

Ya, stainless steel is nice in that it hasnā€™t any coatings to deteriorate. I think it is more prone to warping though.

1 Like