New World (Amazon's MMO)

Ok, so they did not tweak the netcode then for this beta. Oh well. After playing it in the closed beta with the same lag issue, I basically had to be content with the fact that I will only be doing normal PVE, will have to see how the end game PVE is affected by my lag. PVP is not a thing for me and you can play the entire game and ignore it. The factions can be helped/quested for without PVP.

If I was looking for PVP then this game would be a big no no. I love the feel of the game so much that I am willing to look past the janky animations that happen as a result of the lag. I will probably spend a LOT of time looking for an armour/weapon combination that allows me to do the least amount of active blocking/dodging and still live.

I am fine with that. Who knows, maybe a month or two down the line they will have servers somewhere close to North Africa or something.

I can hope.

I have 2 months of sick leave coming up probably in November. I am going to be living in this game to stay sane.

1 Like

A week to go and no word of a further delay, so I am starting to get really excited. I am asking a friend with access to much faster internet than I do, he has 10mbs and I have 5 to download it. Should have it by next Thursday if there is at least 1 day pre-download

1 Like

Found this WIP map of Aeternum:
(This is a very broad overview of the map showing the different regions and the major outposts. Possibly a bit spoilery.)

It comes from…

…which has a lot more maps with a lot more detail in some of them.

1 Like

Thanks for spoilering the image ;-). I am on a drive to make sure I know nothing when I start playing the game. A person can read all the reddit guides on the game and then there will be nothing to explore in the game itself.

Not for me. The only thing I know that I want to know is that a healer needs to use a healing staff. That is it. The rest I want to experiment for myself.

2 Likes

Servers have been announced, was hoping for a closer to Africa surprise, like the Amazon middle east server farm but no luck.

Best we can do is EU at 210-250ms

2 Likes

Sooo… anyone playing New World as well? As for which server I will be playing on… still looking, using this site to do some research

At some point I will want to get involved in the community, it is one of the more compelling reasons for me to play an MMO after all.

2 Likes

Joined a group of South Africans, they are still working out which server they are going to play on. I am keen to explore the community part of the game. I was in a “conference” with them on Sunday. Was interesting. They started the conference with many enthusiastic directives to: “read all the guides you can, play as much as you can, level up as quickly as you can, get as much gold as you can to help us buy a settlement”. Also statements like: “those of us who level quickly will be boosting people to level them quickly.”

At the end of the conference I raised my hand and let them know, in no uncertain terms, that I am doing the opposite of all that and by choice and that if they think I am a slacker because of it then I am out. It was really interesting how many people then piped up and also said that they want to take it slow and enjoy the game. The “leadership” then quickly backed down on their stance. I understand why they do it, they want to have a seat at the territory table and not be marginalised. Takes all kinds to make a good community.

There is no escaping politics in these kinds of games. I am fine with it. In the long run it will make the game last longer for me to have community goals and even join in on mass PVP for territory.

The whole vibe is starting to remind me a lot of Eve. Communities are good for MMO longevity. I will apply my usual rules that I have for any MMO community I join, the first sign of sexism, racism and anything derogatory to individuals and I will say something, the second time, I am out.

The fun awaits! If you want to join this growing community, use this discord invite link:

3 Likes

The day is finally here. The SA community struggling to find a less populated server. I should have the game by this afternoon. Will be interesting to observe a day 1 launch again.

2 Likes

Finally got into the game this morning. Pretty impressed. They must have tweaked some things because the janky lag animations are gone. The game runs smooth at max detail on my Radeon RTX 570, could be the new drivers.

I am falling in love with the setting for real now. I am reading everything I find in game. The lore is pretty deep.

Good game, my new home.

4 Likes

Sigh, number 2656 in the queue. Wonderful.

You would think a company like Amazon would learn from all the many failures of previous MMO launches.

Best time to play on EU server: 3am - 11am our time, after that, it escalates to massive queues.

Welcome to Queue World

4 Likes

It’s Amazon, surely they could just spin up a bunch of extra virtual servers in the hundreds of AWS centres? Except for any in Africa of course, that would be too easy. :neutral_face:

How longs the wait from 2656 on the queue?

2 Likes

over an hour for 700 positions, so I would guess about 3 hours. Will have to see, if I don’t disconnect and have to start all over again.

3 Likes

Yeah, that would put me off right away!

2 Likes

I have created characters but so far not actually played. Ques been too long each time I tried.

2 Likes

First week down, queues are quieting down and the server transfer is due to be announced to be operational very soon. Also the first heist happened, very Eve Online like. It happened on the current home server for the big South African community (don’t worry, they didn’t do the stealing!) One of the companies that are at war with the major RSA contingent lost 100k in gold when their guild master (known as governor in the game) ran off with all the monies given to him to fund the war.

Player generated content indeed. Personally, the market in beginner resources is starting to bottom out on my server, I have made a pretty penny on the back of all the players rushing to skill up their crafting by tirelessly farming the materials they need and playing economy wars on the auction house. Almost time to move on, I am WAY overlevelled for the current areas I run around in doing my exploration and gathering.

3 Likes

i must say this game does look really cool but I just dont think i can play a mmo again, I played a mmo RPG for most of my high school and it was really fun but I always found it hard to find good team mates.

How ever I dont look back to the friends I made when i played the MMO but it was so sad to see people leave the game and then end up being the last member of the guild. (insert sad violin music ).

on the other hand the game looks really cool just sucks for the people that play the game end up destroying the GPU because of it.

3 Likes

Update 1.0.1 went live yesterday, and it specifically mentions a number of AFK changes - not sure it’s enough, but at least they are aware of the issues:

AFK PREVENTION

In an effort to ensure players can’t stay AFK, especially in higher population servers, we’ve made the following adjustments to the AFK prevention system.

• Added additional AFK prevention to ensure players cannot fool the existing system with simulated mouse movement.
  • Shortened the AFK warning message from 20mins to 15mins.
  • Shortened the AFK disconnect from 25mins to 20mins.

Full update details here:

It seemed to have worked, I had no queues last night. Was amazing!

3 Likes

Any Server and World / World Set (do they even matter?) suggestions for Me Be Super Newb? And Factions?

1 Like