Offbeat . . . Off Topic

My ow parents put a sail on the pool the day after we found out we were having a kid

3 Likes

at least ask them to fence it off or make it not accessible to the little ones.

2 Likes

Any considerate grandparent will not even have to think about it in my opinion. Otherwise just say that itā€™s a concern.

2 Likes

Dude, with little kids around, itā€™s essential that the pool has a net or fence or something unless they have an adult hovering over them at all time, but over and above that, itā€™s actually against the law not to have it, and if a kid drowns in that pool, they will be in huge trouble.

2 Likes

Even if there is an adult around all the time. With all the stories that you read, they ALL say there were adults!
ANd now it is becoming a huge fight between my wife and myself, because I am keeping my daughter away from my wifes mother.
So FU***n damn pissed where I am sitting now, can hardly even think straight to do my work!

Itā€™s not something to take lightly, my kid is a bit bigger now and can swim well enough to get to the side of the pool and climb out at least, so Iā€™m a little easier about it now, but even at my own parents house, and even when I was there, I would insist that the pool net was on, and if it wasnā€™t, I would go put it on myself.

2 Likes

Besides, itā€™s hard for grandparents to keep up with little kids, they canā€™t be on top of them the whole time, you have to make the environment as safe as possible

1 Like

Agree with you 100%

2 Likes

@Flex - Im sorry to say but tell your wife that you NEED to speak to her mother about it. Its my biggest fear - considering my youngest brother managed to get thru a fence and drown almost 3 times between the ages 0f 2 - 4.

That was WITH adult supervision - they get away from you. You are in the right on this.

1 Like

Dude, my own pool net has already saved the life of my nieceā€™s child, with us and 7 more adults around for a family lunch, the family was sitting in the lapa (in view of the pool), and my wife and I were inside organising food, and we heard a splash and a cry, and the kid had fallen in the pool, got a bit of a splash as the net took the initial impact, but he had managed to crawl back off the net onto the paving before anyone got to him, and if he hadnā€™t been able to cry because he got caught by the net, who knows if anyone would have noticed before it was too late. Those parents have 3 small kids, so itā€™s not easy to keep track of them all at once, and if people are visiting, they arenā€™t paying full attention to kids and pools all the time.

1 Like

Morning all, active discussions today I see.

No debate here. Your MIL and her BF should have taken the initiative long ago and fenced AND netted it. Kids that age are as curious as hell about everything. Turn your back for a moment and theyā€™ve gone adventuring without you.

We added plastic mesh fencing to the standard pool fence around ours so that the little one couldnā€™t even slip through the gaps, and I put a padlock on the gate that only I had a key for so that no-one could inadvertently leave the gate unlatched.

Also, get your daughter off to toddler swimming lessons ASAP - even with all the precautions and care, shit does still happen and the best you can do as a parent is give them as many tools as you can to help them get through stuff.

1 Like

Not sure why this is in any way up for discussion. Itā€™s not some personal attack on your MILā€™s capacity to look after the kids - itā€™s about removing a MAJOR safety concern. Iā€™ve been around two families who lost a child to drowning in a pool. Why? No net.

Sorry to say, but anyone whoā€™s making an argument out of this is being pretty irrational about this. If feelings are being hurt - I can tell you they will feel a lot worse if they have to fish the lifeless corpse of a child from the bottom of the pool, or have to be on the receiving end of a phone call saying your child has died.

Sorry about being so blunt, but thatā€™s the beginning and end of it. It destroys families. Iā€™ve seen it.

If you have a pool, and there are frequently kids around - get a net. It shouldnā€™t even be a question.

1 Like

I mean, I would choose the life of my child over someoneā€™s feelings being hurt any day. And I donā€™t even have/want kids. Itā€™s justā€¦logic.

3 Likes

100% with you, I have a mini panic attack just imagining that happening to my boy or having it happen to someone elseā€™s child that I am responsible for. A pool net is a very small price to pay to remove that risk.

1 Like

Onto a lighter topic, I did a BMW collision avoidance and skid control course yesterday.

So much fun on the skidpan! And itā€™s not every day you get to spin out a BMW 340i, and those cars are amazingā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™ve also done that, it was amazing and a lot of fun.
I had the advanced driving course though, so also drove on the track with the M3. Fantastic time!

And yes, I agree with everyone else regarding the kid. Itā€™s just too risky. How to approach it though thatā€™s more tricky.

2 Likes

Wow what a heavy discussion going on here.

Afternoon all. We had mist till about 11 am was awesome.

2 Likes

Ah Silent Hill. The mist reminds me of that. How I miss that game.

4 Likes

I canā€™t get enough of this song.

2 Likes