Professional skills development program

I thought we could have a space to discuss any and all work or professional-related content here. This offers opportunities for us to share insights from our own experiences and learn from others in order to promote personal growth in our particular craft and fields.

Perhaps we can kick it off with discussions about presentation skills, knowledge and best practices. Could the fine Mr @GregRedd please be so kind as to move that info over?

1 Like

ΚαληΌέρα Ï†ÎŻÎ»ÎżÎč Ï„ÎżÏ… ÎŽÎčαΎÎčÎșÏ„ÏÎżÏ….

Is it possible to place a value in the word “some”, like you can with ‘a few’ or a ‘a bit’?

Context: I’ve been asked to provide some slides for a presentation.

2 Likes

I would assume it’s “enough to convey the message”, whether that’s 2 or 10. It does seem to imply more than 1 though.

1 Like

Oh, remember that more slides with less bullet points is always better than fewer slides crammed with content.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree there. I will ask for further clarification and expectations, I was just curious what others thought and to get a consensus. Sometimes I think too much about words and their meanings.

1 Like

Oh awesome, thanks for the reminder. Well-presented and digestible information is something I really enjoy doing. Though I don’t like creating “PowerPoint decks”, I do all my presentations at a design level and in Figma or Sketch.

2 Likes

Avoid bullets! They cause Death by PowerPoint!

Check out Garr Reynolds’ Presentation Zen - heavily focused on design as a crucial element in presentations.

10 (+1) Tips for Presentation Zen:

2 Likes

Perhaps to share my presentation style with you guys. I really hate how clinical and corporate the typical “business” approach is to presentations. Everyone’s slides look the same, lack emotion, don’t drive engagement, don’t respect viewers’ time, and are really just brain dumps.

Designing with Vulnerabilities

and a more serious one

Product Case Study

Earnestly and honestly, I would appreciate any feedback, be it here or in DM. I love improving in this area.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the video, will definitely give it a watch.

2 Likes

If somebody asks me for “some” I think: 4 or 5.

3 Likes

Nice, clean and concise.
8/10
Won’t fall asleep; will attend follow-up meeting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

1 Like

You asked. I’m a bit of a pedant when it comes to stuff like this, so sorry in advance. :smiley:

Looked at the second one only, and while taking a quick coffee break, so I may have missed some stuff.

Generally, a solid, clean, slide deck. Would hold attention of those you are presenting to.

My main issues are mostly grammatical and spelling typos, especially if it’s a pro presentation to outsiders and clients. When working with text, I urge my students to do two things: put all their text through Word (or an equivalent) regardless of how they intended using it; and read everything aloud.

You’d be amazed (horrified even!) at how many event adverts, business plan summaries, recipe cards, and restaurant menus I’ve seen with glaringly obvious spelling and grammar errors. (I once got an assignment submission that included a costing sheet for a fried aborigine dish. The aubergines were very offended at being cancelled.)

Some of your sentence structure is a tough read. It could be I don’t understand the content or context, but read the words on your screen aloud and you’ll hear what I‘m saying. There needs to be more breaks in some of them. Shorter sentences. Read the body text on the first Overview slide aloud for example.

Spelling! The first two I spotted are on your opening slide. The last one is on one of the mockups you show. There could be more.

• functionlaity
  • identitfy
  • estabished
  • condusive
  • effecient
  • behaviors - US spelling
  • desinging
  • estimaiting

You use “we are” and “we’re” on same slide (“here’s the predicted outcome
”). Pick one and use it consistently. You use short forms more on other slides – here’s, it’s, etc. - so stick to that. Also, what’s with the – at the end of that slide title and nowhere else?

There’s a double “the the” on the 2nd line of the “here’s how it’s done” text.

Decide if you’re American or English. Either way, use it consistently: empathising vs. empathizing for example. You use one of each.

Capitalise the start of “through collaborative and inclusive
” on predicted outcome to match the others.

Why the ? after some headings? “a look into issues around the desktop?” “let’s look at the search and tables?” Neither of those are questions.

Visually, your slides are good. Maybe consider carrying the heading text colour on your title slide and name highlight to the rest of the headings through the deck, just to bring some colour to the slides.

My only other note might be to increase the font size on the smallest text blocks, but again, might just be my old eyes.

All-in-all, if you follow the same approach and structure for your new presentation, you’ll be aces. Just check and recheck it for errors. And then get a fresh set of eyes to look it over one last time too.

Should this discussion be moved over to a separate topic? Anything existing it fits into? Or do you want to make a new topic? It could be your Brute Force topic entry for the week!

2 Likes

Now you’ve got me mentally coming up with new meanings for these words

3 Likes

This is fantastic feedback, thank you immensely. I find this kind of feedback so invaluable, so thank you so much for actually taking the time and effort to not just write a short sentence but an in-depth explanation. I really wish people in my organisation could understand the value of thoughtful and constructive criticism.

I’m going to stick the excuse of having to do this case study in a short time as I only had about 2 days to come up with this and was only given about 10 minutes of presentation time. Regardless, I’m not making excuses but I will try to revise and proof my content more often and more thoroughly. Also doesn’t help that Figma doesn’t have a spell or grammar check, suppose with plugins it could.

Thank you again :pray:

2 Likes

It took some time to understand “functionlaity” until I read it as “function laaitie” and it clicked.

2 Likes

This one was a bit obscure since laity is a word more often used in a Church context but it also has a secular meaning as seen below

laity
/ˈleÉȘÉȘti/
noun

noun: laity; plural noun: laities

1. lay people, as distinct from the clergy.
  2. ordinary people, as distinct from professionals or experts.

Hence the functionlaity being ordinary but useful people.

3 Likes

Another topic for the contention that I could definitely learn from, is that of one-on-one or 1:1 meetings. I understand and have them on a regular basis with my team members so that I can understand where they’re at. Which got me thinking, that perhaps I should have (or set up) some 1:1’s with some colleagues who are on the same level as I, such as the Product Owners (PO).

I know the general 1:1 practice is intended for upward and downward streams, but do you think it could work and benefit from lateral as well? Does anyone have practice or experience of this nature?

1 Like