Should I buy/play - gaming suggestions

Taking some inspiration here from the subreddits of /r/shouldibuythisgame and /r/gamingsuggestions I wanted to have a space where we can ask about suggestions and recommendations on games across any and all platforms and mediums.

I much prefer talking about and getting insights from others on a game’s experience from those who have actually played the games in suggestion, rather than reading or watching reviews and letting that drive the experience.

Perhaps this is also just another way to help drive the backlog battle, or just help to validate that next purchase :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

So my first idea and one I’ve been tossing around with is whether or not I should buy Mafia III Definitive Edition.

A lot of reviews I read and watch, bash the game for being too repetitive in its gameplay and open-world design, but isn’t that the typical formula for many open-world titles (ahem, Assassins Creed and Far Cry :roll_eyes: ). But from what I can tell the game is first a narrative experience and from what I can tell, this really blows a lot of titles out the water in that regard and an open-world second.

What are your guys’ thoughts and opinions?

1 Like

I’ve never played it but my wife loved it so much that she wants to play it again. And she doesn’t often replay games.

2 Likes

If you have to or want to play a Mafia game, the original Mafia game’s Definitive edition is probably a better bet. Mafia 3 is fine, very generic with a lot of busywork, it plays fine and is entertaining enough.

4 Likes

Second @DieGrootHammer’s recommendation for the Definitive Edition of the first game.

That said, I think you’re probably also considering price here. On that basis, Mafia III DE on Xbox sale at ~R180 is a very decent buy. Especially when you compare it to the R700 for Mafia DE (or the R1000 for the Trilogy.)

Mafia II DE is also on Xbox sale for ~R180, but 2K also know that the first one is the best one, so that and the Trilogy are naturally not on sale. :unamused:

2 Likes

That’s exactly it, nail to the head! Oof!

I don’t have much of an interest in Mafia 2 as a standalone as it is a direct sequel of the first, whereas Mafia 3 stands on its own as far as I know. Of course it would make sense to get the trilogy but given cost factor you’ve pretty much nailed my reasoning, and I think it includes all the DLC as well.

2 Likes

Sort of. Vito Scaletta from Mafia 2 plays a big role in Mafia 3. Mafia 1 DE is great if you just want to play through the story, there aren’t really any side activities or anything else to do in the world except find collectibles. Mafia 3 has a pretty decent story as well but the side content is very repetitive.

1 Like

V rising is my current addiction, check it out if you haven’t yet. Currently playing PVE but will be interesting to try PVP later.

4 Likes

Then definitely do check out the V Rising topic here: V Rising - A Vampire Survival Experience. A fair few MEWbs kicking ass and taking names sucking blood and stuff.

3 Likes

Any Lego games players or fans here? There are so many games and quite a few on sale over on Xbox. I have been considering picking up the Lego Marvel Collection as something mindless and mildly entertaining to play, and to play with the boys (or them together). They can obviously relate to the material more so than any other of their games.

3 Likes

My family and I are huge fans of the Lego games! We have just about them all, and waiting for the new Star Wars game to come down in price a bit!

4 Likes

Thanks to @Beo I’m also into them at the moment. I had Lego Marvel Superheroes and Avengers but I also picked up Marvel 2 and City Undercover and want to get LOTR as well for now. Not really a big Star Wars fan so I’m not in a rush to get the latest one.

2 Likes

It’s about all my boy plays these. He jumps between Worlds, City Undercover, Marvel Superheroes 1- and 2 and DC Super Villains. He went through a Ninjago phase as well, but hasn’t touched it in recent times. I bought the Steam ones (DC / Marvel) for dirt cheap on CD Keys and he plays City Undercover and Worlds on Switch. I usually help him through the puzzle elements and boss fights, but most of the missions, platforming and free play he enjoys doing on his own.

2 Likes

Been watching a lot of Lego City Undercover gameplay videos and seems like a solid all-rounder to get.

Lego Worlds I think is a little too aimless for my liking, kinda like a Minecraft but in Lego universe.

1 Like

There are some missions to do if you play in Adventure mode. That way you finish a planet to move on to the next. But City Undercover is great!

1 Like

I’m jonesing for an FPS but not sure what to play. There’s a plethora of them in Game Pass. Not sure if I want play setting with a story, or just after some mindless fun.

2 Likes

I came across this checking out one of my followers… Looks like it is in early access since 2017, so I doubt there’s updates, but just the intro of the video on the steam page got my lol’ing

2 Likes

I just had a brain fart. Go to metacritic, find the best games of all time, filter by platform, start working your way down the list. Obvs, remove the genre’s you’re not into. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Also forgot about this . . . . Don’t worry :stuck_out_tongue:
Im still looking for my next shooter

I’ve been meaning to try Prodeus for while now. Looks great.

1 Like