Starfield: Made for Wanderers

I am going to wake up an hour earlier than I start work every day: 3am just to load it up and see it. It is going to be REALLY hard to work tomorrow :wink:

Also not watching anything about the game, not reading anything either. My standard practice before a game release.

2 Likes

I will still stay blind.

2 Likes

Here there be selected reviews! I’ve read them all and they all should be Story Spoiler Free but do proceed at your own risk.

Windows Central: 90%

A mighty slow burn — Bethesda rewards the faithful with one of Microsoft’s best exclusive games in over a decade.

Game Informer: 85%

It took me a long time to fall in love with Starfield, and even after I did, certain aspects didn’t work for me. But the things I didn’t enjoy are vastly outweighed by my enthusiasm for this new, original science fiction universe, the breadth of its adventures, and the appeal of its many interwoven stories.

Tom’s Guide: 80%

Starfield is the apex of Bethesda’s open-world games and a killer Xbox Series X and PC game, giving players a slice of galaxy to explore, exploit, raid and wander for ages. It’s almost too familiar to its core DNA, but interesting areas, fun combat and masses of things to do and see mean Starfield is rarely less than compelling.

There are many, many more reviews out. Many are as generally positive as these, some not as glowing.

Gamespot: 70%

Bethesda’s spacefaring adventure has its moments with impressive scale, satisfying combat, and some worthwhile side quests, but its shallow RPG systems and uninspired vision of the cosmos make for a journey that’s a mile wide, but an inch deep.

Not linking this one as it does mention a few too many specifc quest details and story lines.

PC Mag: 70%

Spacefaring gameplay that’s as broad as the ocean—and as deep as a puddle. Starfield is a massive space-based RPG with a galaxy of content to explore, but it has a surprising lack of ambition.

metacritic: 87% - 88%

Current metacritic scores are 88% with 50 reviews on PC, 87% with 44 reviews on Xbox X\S

OpenCritic: 87%

Current OpenCritic Critic Average score is 87% with 94% of 81 critics recommending the game.

2 Likes

What, no PS5 reviews? Performance must be terrible if it doesn’t even feature.

3 Likes

Loving it. Played about 10 minutes before my work ethic kicked in, at 3.30 AM this morning.

4 Likes

I always knew having one of those would be detrimental.

2 Likes

I got up at 2am and struggled for a few minutes to get in but once I did I played until about 4am. Performance on PC is what I expected for my system. Started out solid 75FPS but dropped to around 45 ish when I got outside. I’ll probably stick to Xbox now for smoother experience. Hopefully FSR3 works as advertised and they bring it to the game.

Here is my character (until I restart lol):

3 Likes

haha same here, I got passed the character creator and called it, before I got too involved and forget to go to work.

4 Likes

You all see @Wlad here? Be like Wlad - show us your characters!

1 Like

In the 10 minutes I played, the exploring called out to me in a big way. I can see myself doing the hoarder thing and going off into a random direction on a random planet and just picking up everything I see.

1 Like

I hope the carry weight limit is reasonable

1 Like

It isn’t really but there is a trick that has something to do with your ship cargo hold. Not going to spoil it, it took me a while to stumble on it.

You can open your ship menu from anywhere (H on PC), open the cargo hold and dump everything you carry in it. Your pet robot can also carry some stuff for you

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it is weight-based, but with my limited time in the game I saw something that seemed to be based on item-quantity, e.g. I had 17/130 of my inventory.

2 Likes

Thats the weight limit yes. Staple Bethesda mechanic.

1 Like

Eventually am able to have a look around. My character was a male model before he became a professor.

4 Likes

I can’t see that screen of my character after creation, am I missing something?

1 Like

Honestly didn’t even think to look, to be honest. Just did the screenshot at the same point that @Wlad did just before confirming.

There must be a way to see your character profile as you go through the game surely?

1 Like

Closest I can find

4 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes