Testing the Vodacom 5G network

I was having some trouble with UDP connections from the 5G. Hopefully streaming is not affected, but I guess we’ll see soon!

1 Like

Ready

1 Like

Thanks! Getting set up.

Trying to be as fair as possible… using local ingest servers and such.

Update: I have jumped into the GameClub Discord.

2 Likes

1 Like

Thank you to @Entity, @czc, and the two silent viewers for helping me test at such short notice tonight. I really appreciate it :smile:

2 Likes

I plan on running another test tonight. Will probably stream to YouTube.

It’ll probably be best to start earlier. Is 18h00 better for everyone?

3 Likes

Moderate difference in speed today after switching to Vodacom’s “Unrestricted” APN to test if I could fix the latency issues in Warframe.

1 Like

:+1:

5 chars

1 Like

Put it in the discord :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Stream looked and sounded good on my end. YT automatically started the stream at 720p for me, but easily changed and held at 1080p from there. And the audio feed from Discord (I assume) with Entity and Annie (?) was clear. Much better balance compared to the audio from last nights Twitch stream (I watched chunks of the VOD).

Did catch your mention of Bright Memory at the end of the stream too. Worth mentioning that buying the the Chapter 1 “demo” version for R79 gets you a free copy (100% off voucher) for the final Bright Memory: Infinite version once it’s released.

All Bright Memory owners will get Bright Memory: Infinite for free!

From here on out, I will no longer be developing Bright Memory: Episode 1 any further, but I plan on making regular “experimental” additions of various new features, etc., which players will be able to try out. Once development of Bright Memory: Infinite is complete, it will be distributed as a separate game, but those who have already purchased Bright Memory: Episode 1 will receive a special “100% off” discount coupon for Bright Memory: Infinite prior to its release.

3 Likes

Thanks again for joining the stream. I really appreciate you keeping me company on Discord and giving a viewer perspective (and reading chat!), @Entity.

@czc, @GregRedd, and @oltman: Thank you for sounding off in chat and giving feedback about the audio levels and stream quality.

And if anyone was watching, but didn’t say anything in chat: thanks for tuning in :smile:.

I know it’s right over dinner time, so I’ll schedule future non-work related streams to start at 20h00 or so

4 Likes

My phone is limited to 720p60, but it looked crisp and clear. Not sure what streaming settings you were using (bitrate etc) but is was like butter!

5 Likes

@SIGSTART when is the next stream?

2 Likes

Its nothing to do with your 5G test.

But the twitch stream buffers every few seconds and the youtube one doesn’t. This is why I don’t watch twitch.

2 Likes

I think its because his twitch stream was locked to 1080p 60 quality while the youtube would adjust quality.

Also. Twitch is just badly optimised with regards to encoding etc.

3 Likes

Oh! This is good to know. Is there something I need to do to allow people to get a less demanding version of the stream on Twitch?

Or maybe we should just stick to platforms like YouTube, which has local caching nodes.

That said… With Amazon launching a data centre in Cape Town, maybe more of Twitch will be available locally?

2 Likes

Only Twitch partners are guaranteed transcoding, for the rest of us it’s hit and miss. Twitch will try to enable transcoding so normally you would start your stream, check if you have transcoding, if not then you stop and start stream again until you get it.

So yes YouTube would be better for that.

A local datacenter sounds cool. I’m sure lots of streamers will be happy if that means a local ingest server.

1 Like

I see that there are some options for local Twitch ingest servers. But OBS doesn’t turn on its Twitch features if you use a custom config for some silly reason.

Anyway… I was using the Twitch ingest server from Hyperlayer two nights ago (twitch.hyperlayer.co.za). Cool Ideas also has one.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I’m sure a legit Amazon one will be amazing-er :grinning:

1 Like