The Epic Game Store

So you’d still need EPIC installed on your pc somehow…
I’m good thanks, will look for another deal :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Like I said earlier 75% at uplay = but they are struggling to process payments

1 Like

I understand why having so many launchers can be frustrating. But nit willing to install it to get great games? That I dont understand…

4 Likes

Wait… both the UPlay and Epic launchers have to be running to launch the game if I buy it on Epic?

Does the same thing happen when you buy it on Steam?

1 Like

Yes I think so, if I can recall the last Uplay game on Steam I played.

3 Likes

Yep, uplay games need to have their installer. No matter what platform you use

2 Likes

So you aren’t aware of the entire EGS controversy from not even a few years back? THATS why I refuse to install their crap on my system. I took a decision and unlike many people that flake over time I’ve stuck with it. I don’t trust them, they proved that we shouldn’t trust them…so I won’t allow myself to get in the position to do business with them.

4 Likes

Which controversy? :sweat_smile:

The one where they give developers a bag of money to launch exclusively on their platform, or the one where they discounted unreleased games without developer approval?

/poke /poke

4 Likes

How about when they are also owned 40% by the Chinese guffment and install spyware that grabs your steam data and tries to hide its tracks?
/puts tinfoil hat on

:smiley:
apologies for the thread tangent, thanks for moving :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you play any games that make use of the Unreal engine?

3 Likes

I think thats going dangerously close to a straw-man argument :stuck_out_tongue: Or at the very least a large leap in logic.
My response above was tongue-in-cheek. I think I’ve stated my reasons before but here they are again:
I made the decision around the release for Metro Exodus, which was gobbled up by Epic and ripped from the steam store (and any other platform it may have sold on). Around that time it was also discovered that their launcher mined your steam data without your permission, and that they were going to focus on using their considerable financial strength to strongarm market share through exclusivity (and not through having a superior product…their product is shit EVEN STILL TODAY). Thats when I made my decision not to support them, as they quite publicly had contradictory views on how competition/ethics works.

there…thats it. The other reasons are icing on the cake / banter. I’m not such an activist that I refuse to buy anything with a label “made in china”, but the gaming exclusivity shenanigans is where I decided I’ll vote with my wallet.

4 Likes

Fair enough. I respect that you stand for something.

On my side I think it’s a good thing that Steam got some competition. And I respect what Epic has done with the Unreal Engine. They’ve been giving out Epic MegaGrants all over the place and it has been so good for the game development industry.

Plus I got lots of free games and some other big titles for so much cheaper than on Steam.

So from my side, go Epic! Take all my Steam data that you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yea fair enough. I won’t lie it wasn’t easy to keep myself from grabbing all those EGS freebies that have popped up. I think I even allowed my account to grab one or 2 via the site. But for now, nope no plans to install the Launcher.

I also have no problem with competition for steam. I don’t have ONLY steam installed, i have uplay and RSC for gta. I just really got grated with how they essentially BULLIED their way into a relevant market share. Economic history has shown us that if you muscle out the competition with brute force instead of a superior/competitive product, the consumer loses…every time

3 Likes

:white_flag:

Yeah, sorry @Mottamort, my comment was not directed at you directly, just in general. I totally respect someone having made a moral decision, and then sticking to it. I still dont fully understand it, but thats my problem.

As an example: I made a moral decision not to drink alcohol, at all, ever again. I used to, then I stopped. It was not a health or directly a religious decision. But then a lot of people do not understand why. And they push me to explain more than “I made a moral decision not to” and get almost aggressive in their defence of alcohol, even though I never mentioned them drinking alcohol at all. So I am very aware of those decisions and try not to judge :wink:

5 Likes

No worries man. I didn’t take the comment personally, even if I replied personally :slight_smile:

Y U NO GIT DRONK?

/s

6 Likes

You don’t own anyone an explanation. Instead of giving you grief about it, they should be thanking you for letting them have more. Especially in these times of limited supply.

6 Likes

I am in exactly the same boat. Teetotalling for personal / moral reasons, which always upset people when they questioned me about it. So now my answer is just “because” and I don’t elaborate. If they ask me why, I even tell them it’s a personal choice and I prefer to not elaborate.

4 Likes

Snap

Im thankful tho for the fake beers/near beers - I drink that these days at braais and that keeps people happy

3 Likes

I’m the same, though I probably have the kind of personality where I’ve never needed to explain myself (something like “I don’t drink, now fuck off”, but not in so many words). If they really start pushing just say you’re a recovering alcoholic and you’ll appreciate their support in staying sober. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I tell people that I hate drunk people, so much that I have to avoid them to not get into a violent confrontation. All of which is true. People either avoid me (fits me fine) or give up asking why.

4 Likes