The Official MEW Home Improvement Topic

its actually quite tedious taking photos off whatsapp/phone and getting them to my pc so I can “edit” them (some of them seem to be auto rotated wrong so need to flip them first) . I haven’t done this in ages…then since I now have a reason to take photos i’ll take some more tonight. So many of these will just be “before” photos

1 Like

Living Room evolution so far

After curtains and “filling”

Bookcase progression

3 Likes

sorry for multiposts, explorer seemed to not like me dragging so many photos into a single post and crashed, so i had to restart pc after posting.
Kitchen (can see old electric stove in background)

Latest improvement - gas installation of stove done and granite put over leftover hole…i really like it

Bedroom progression

Ladies study/work room

3 Likes

Love the house, may you and your family love it /

1 Like

It crashed again :frowning:

Ladies study/work room

I’ll snap some photos so you guys have a more “up to date” view. most of these photos are almost weeks old by now (except the stove/slab one)

3 Likes

Ok so maybe I can ask you guys for advise/thoughts here.

We had our DIY guy replace some of the chipboard that was in our kitchen shelving due to old water damage (below) and they put in shutterboard / plyboard (think its the same, its been mentioned interchangeably but mostly they talk about shutterbboard). It was then suggested we put vinyl over the top and then pack our plates/kitcheny stuff on it that way. I was thinking why not just put varnish/sealant/ some kind of clear protection over the wood and call it a day…or at the very least, put SOME varnish over it and THEN vinyl over the top.

Here’s before and after (what it currently looks like is after, input needed on end result)

this is after

Thoughts/advise?

1 Like

Sorry, don’t have any advice for ya, but… Wouldn’t that make him your DIH (do it himself)?

2 Likes

Honestly, I would paint them to seal them and still use vinyl. The vinyl just keeps stuff from scuffing the wood and is easy to keep clean and not let stuff easily be knocked around

1 Like

Id suggest varnish and seal the sides with a silicone to stop water from getting under, you get contact paper from builders that is awesome for covering wood : https://www.builders.co.za/Paint-%26-Adhesives/Art-and-Craft/Kids-Crafts/Contact-Paper/c/Contact%20Paper

Id also check the sides and make sure there is no water damage to the plaster, and painting will change how it looks completely

Also is that like a mini door to narnia in the back there?

2 Likes

We literally fix and building almost everything in our house, will post pictures of some of our projects this week

1 Like

I’d at least cover it with something.

2 Likes

Its like a counter/bar area. so you have doors on either side :smiley:
If you look at the “kitchen” pic, the cupboard is the bottom right one (you can see the water damage on the wall going down, we gonna scrape/paint that in december)

1 Like

Is contact paper what is on the existing chipboard shelving. We went to go look at vinyl but damn is it thick…altho we can only find floor vinyl, we’re told basicaly thats what it is…maybe contact paper is what we’re really looking for

We’re def gonna varnish at the very minimum :slight_smile:

1 Like

Contact paper is what you’re looking for

2 Likes

Dude, plastic land, store and more and mambo’s plastic - that is where we get ours - they sell the thinner tablecloth kind and we just use that. The nice thing is Mambo’s have a great range and plain colours.

1 Like

Thin vinyl? or contact paper (same thing?)

1 Like

Thin vinyl - I have a love hate relationship with contact paper.

We even used some vinyl in the bottom of our cupboards to keep shoes off them (we have recently repainted all the old laminated cupboards white again to make them look new)

1 Like

I’m fairly certain we have a mambo’s, never heard of the others. will give it a look (or more likely my lady will go look next week when they’re on a break.)

1 Like

I am not allowed to go to Store and more with my wallet :stuck_out_tongue:
https://www.storeandmore.co.za/store.locator

Its where I got my baskets to sort out my cupboards!

I wont lie, mambos is very similar, I just looooooooooooooooove these storage places.

I’ve been told I need to come with to Mambo’s because while she found the vinyl…they are all “hideous patterns”.
We are gonna go buy varnish and dark brown paint (for the wood by the oven so it matches the bricks) this week/weekend and get started on varnishing. w00t

2 Likes