The Official MEW Home Improvement Topic

Dont you have similar stores like that there?

They are good - normally they have plain colours, we got a plain cream coloured one - but that was last year

I live in East Londonā€¦ Think smaller, more inbred cousin of Port Elizabethā€¦ We donā€™t even have a Burger King :frowning:
My lady did agree that we do now at least have a new type of place to look but her default is Mamboā€™s (she also loves it, more for their art/craft stuff than plastic). So I guess Iā€™ll find out if there are any other places like that around.

I do appreciate the help, weā€™re definitely looking in the right direction now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok lemme see what I can find in the area for you

1 Like

You mean places to look for vinyl, or more places for home stuff in general? I got some decent vinyl titles years ago from Builders. Iā€™m sure they would still stock stuff like that. And there must be at least a Builders Express in East London, inbred cousin or not.

ETA: Yip, thereā€™s an Express in the CBD and in Gonubie, and a Superstore in Mdantsane as well.

And they do have some vinyl products at leastā€¦

1 Like

Vinyl. Went to builders express, they also only have like 3-4 rolls of the thick flooring type vinyl.
Did buy a 5 piece Addis Bin set though, so not a waste of a drive :smiley:

Uhh yea, not going to Mdantsane, sorry.

2 Likes

Yea the kinds of vinyl you want is the table cloth not the floor stuff

If you can find something like mambos (or if you have a chinatown?)

1 Like

I swear youā€™re telepathic. My lady was just telling me via whatsapp we gonna go look at our chinatown next time

1 Like

It is how my mind works, that is where I go when I cant find something lol

So we spent the weekend varnishing!

Iā€™m REALLY liking how it looked. We only did the 2nd coat of the stove/microwave area last night so Iā€™ll post that once we pop those back in (we had to first woodfill the screws, wait to dry, sand it smooth then varnish and wait and varnish and wait) and i can show off the ā€œfinishedā€ product. Weā€™re not even gonna use vinylā€¦ (my lady bought about 2m of vinyl from chinatown so weā€™ll probably put it over the chipboard until we can afford to replace the rest of the cupboards too)

3 Likes

So! Weā€™ve been living here a week and settling in. Half the rooms look livable, and I went and bought shelves so I will be documenting how badly I fail at putting shelves up (have watched youtube tutorials from ppl with varying degrees of success). First test will be with the pre-bought all-in-one shelf kits (not floating shelves) that come with the bracket and screws etc. Once I can comfortably say I can do that weā€™ll move onto buying that stuff separately and doing it our own wayā€¦baby steps people, I am NOT a DIY man :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

YOu can do it!

My philosophy is if I can do it without maiming myself, anyone can - well anyone except americans

2 Likes

Hey @Entity, I just realizedā€¦ I donā€™t think we ever got to see the end result, did we?

3 Likes

@Mottamort Sounds like you have a long road of DIYing ahead of you.

If you donā€™t have one already, you have to get a cordless drill. I cant emphasize this enough!

I have a variety of power tools, and if I can choose only one for the rest of my life, it will be a cordless drill.

Most DIY jobs involved making holes or putting in screws.

2 Likes

Not at that level yet. My brother gave me his drill and jigsaw when he came down for the wedding last week, purely because HE got a cordless drill and says heā€™ll never use this one again. I think I need to work myself up to where i DESERVE a cordless one :smiley:

Will show before/after photos of what a mess we make this evening :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, getting out the extension and adaptor every now and then just to drill a few holes will make you wish for a cordless drill.

2 Likes

I did post the finished room, but hereā€™s when we added some stuff.

6 Likes

this may seem silly, but how did you get your curtains to hang from the rail like that?

our rails are at the same height as yours bur curtains hide the rail, and donā€™t meet the floor, and i donā€™t particularly like the idea of dropping the rails.

1 Like

I used these on the curtains to get the pleating effect but the hook is adjustable so you can change its height to how you want it

20201106_103740

then the rail just has standard loop things.

Iā€™ll take a close up picture of how it is later when Iā€™m home.

@BeoTeK

2 Likes

Thanks bud, I used these hooks:

But are your curtains standard length, cos I bought some standard curtains none are the right length. Actually battle to find some proper length curtains apart from having custom made ones which I cannot afford.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what is normal or what but on my order it showed these measurements

20201106_105035

1 Like