The Outer Worlds

Really enjoying the game so far. I went with a high charm, high intelligence build, which is exactly the opposite of me IRL.

1 Like

I am going with a high medic/engineer/tech and some hacking/lock picking. I want to open everything!

2 Likes

So low charm and low intelligence :thinking::wink:

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

I think its time I go home. This day has been too long and my PC is lonely at home, nobody giving it the attention it deservesā€¦ Consider it charity.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know why but I am really keen on giving this game a try. So I grabbed my R15,90 introductory month of XGP PC and have this downloading.

4 Likes

Damn, I got Fallout 3 and New Vegas vibes right out the door. Damn, played around 2 hours and seriously impressed. I never got this vibe when I started playing Fallout 4.
Love the world and environment, in game characters, gun play so far.

Kinda feel guilty about basically having paid $1 for the game with the MS Gamepass thing.

3 Likes

Wow, the Firefly references are everywhere!

I mean you pick up a cute engineer lady and a priest to join you, nuff said.

2 Likes

This is funny

4 Likes

I played most of the morning and completed the quests in the first area. Ready to fly off in my spaceship to the next destination.

Iā€™m enjoying the writing in this game. The humour has actually made me laugh a fair bit. The main quest involved some difficult decisions, with there being no obviously correct choices.

3 Likes

The only thing that is really annoying me so far is the locked keybindings. Iā€™m forced to use the numpad for movement now and Iā€™m really not very comfortable with the whole setup. I have no idea why they had to do that. It makes me reluctant to play the game any further until they fix it.

Video about the problem:

2 Likes

This guy is amazing and reminds me of TotalBiscuit. Because of the recurring rants, not just the accent :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I also started playing Outer Worlds this weekend (and I see @Hiro too!).

After 8 hours of faffing about Iā€™ve just made it off the first world. So far, itā€™s OKā€¦

I donā€™t feel like I got the breadth of choices like I did in say, the opening segment in Megaton in Fallout 3. Outer Worlds feels more like Mass Effect meets Borderlandsā€¦ Itā€™s a first-person Space Western RPG with a Law-Chaos decision system.

The player dialogue in Outer Worlds is much better than in Mass Effect, and the decisions are much more interesting than the Renegade-Paragon system Mass Effect shoe-horned you into.

Of course, all of Mass Effectā€™s player dialogue was voice acted. Lack of flexibility is the price you pay if you want to voice act everything your player character can say.

As for my comparison to Borderlandsā€¦ So far the humour in Outer Worlds has been a little more subtle and grim.

There are a lot of comparisons to Firefly in some of the reviews people have pointed me at, and I guess I see that, but at this early stage in the game it is also most certainly not Firefly.

2 Likes

Finished the game a couple of minutes ago. I was expecting (hoping) it would be longer, but it is what it is. My total time clocked in at just under 18 hours which is rather short for an RPG, but I loved every second of it. I will definitely do another playthrough right away and play completely differently. I want to try and go for the ā€œgenocidalā€ play style and kill every single NPC in the game just because itā€™s possible. I am, however, not sure if Iā€™ll be able to go through with it but Iā€™ll try.

3 Likes

Nicely done! Was that 18 hours including all the side quests and missions, or just focused on the main story line?

My approach to these games is completely different - and the main reason I never seem to actually get anywhere close to finishing anything! Iā€™ve only managed about 2 hours in the game, and I have completed just a single side mission in the first location where you land :grinning:

I find myself wandering around the environment looking at everything, reading everything, trying to talk to everyone. And clicking on everything to see if it opens and has loot I can take, even the things that donā€™t highlight as being interactive :joy:

2 Likes

I play almost the same way. I explore everything before doing any ā€œquestsā€. Luckily this game is wonderfully designed that you can do that very well. Most of the time, I complete side quests without even having them from an NPC. The game is designed so that when an NPC asks you to get x from the wilderness and you have already found x, then they happily take it from you right then and there.

3 Likes

I would wager I did most of the side quests in the game. I canā€™t 100% say I didnā€™t miss anything but I did every quest I came across, including companion quests. I didnā€™t speak to every single person in the game so I might have missed one or two.

According to how long to beat you can finish the main campaign in about 10 hours if you donā€™t do any side stuff.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Man I am enjoying this game! Been playing on and off since release and I am getting such Fallout vibes throughout. Yes, I know the game is basically ā€œthe true Fallout 5ā€, but still, it is easy to forget this is NOT a Fallout game!

2 Likes

I must be the only person on earth not gushing over this game. I played a bit and got bored before even leaving the first planet. I guess Iā€™m not into FPS RPG games anymoreā€¦ I jumped straight back into Stellaris after trying it and lost a whole night to my space exploration venture.

4 Likes