The VR Thread

I got The Climb last week and finally fired it up yesterday morning and again this morning. It’s an incredible experience and really makes you feel like you’re hanging onto a cliff by the tips of your fingers. It’s an Oculus exclusive title and works great with the wireless freedom the Quest 1 and 2 provide. @oltman check it out!

1 Like

Playing the climbing wall in Carnival Games already makes me nervous…

1 Like

Having to release your grip and jumping to a small handhold a couple of meters away is a stress inducing action in the game, but the scenery really is breathtaking. The solitude and atmosphere you experience really draws you in - especially if you have a fan blowing on you to simulate the wind high up on a mountain while you climb.

1 Like

Jirre so you combine my two illnesses - motion sickness with vertigo . . . HOW!??!

It’s a phenomenal experience! Really it is!

1 Like

Nope just nope, my vertigo and fear of heights will give me a panic attack :stuck_out_tongue:
Have fun on my behalf tho!

If you do experience it, then just don’t release the triggers on the controllers, as you then fall in the game down to the bottom of the mountain or cliff you’re busy climbing. Complete with a screaming sound from your avatar in the game. It’s quite a thrilling experience! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yea no, I dont think there is enough money to bribe me to try it out for even 2 mins

Take a look at the Face your Fears app on Occulus, specifically the Giant Robot Attack one, it’s short but it’s free and a really cool experience.

1 Like

I’ll do that, thanks!

So yesterday I noticed a little smudge in the bottom right corner of the right lens. I went ahead and cleaned the lenses with one of my soft microfiber cloths I use to clean my glasses, but the smudge didn’t go away. It almost looked like an eyelash that’s obstructing the view somehow. I could see no visible scratches on the lens itself and based on the angle I looked at, it “moved” out of the way. So my conclusion was that it’s a scratch or crack of sorts inside the lens, rather than the outside.

I logged a return to Amazon, which they processed no questions asked. Now I need to return my headset to them by 20 Feb and the shipping costs are insane! Quotes from DHL and FedEx are in the region of R3300, while Aramex comes in cheapest at R1100. I hopped on a support chat with an Amazon rep and she confirmed that they would refund me the entire shipping cost once they receive the package on their side, even though their returns process stated a refund of “up to” R392.

The new device is slated to arrive around 2 Feb, so I’ll hold on to the current one just a while longer to ensure the new one is almost here, and then ship it back to Amazon.

3 Likes

That is pretty great from them. And good to know for if I ever get a new headset and have issues.

1 Like

Update: Shipping a return to Amazon from good old South Africa is more trouble than I thought it would be! First of all, shipping costs are insanely high. Second of all, you’re not allowed to ship removable batteries on most carriers who effectively use domestic flights to transport the packages (ala Aramex, The Courier Guy, Dawn Wing, etc). So my only option is to go with DHL, who have their own fleet of cargo planes to do the shipping… at a cost of R3400! Luckily Amazon support again confirmed that they will cover the cost and reimburse me the moment the package arrives at their returns center. But still… $221 return shipping on an item that cost $299 is quite insane. Especially considering that they’re sending me a brand new unit at their own cost, shipping included, at expedited speed compared to normal shipping.

2 Likes

So an update on my initial motion sickness - it really does go away after a short-ish while. I’ve had my headset (well 2 technically, seeing as I replaced it due to the “smudge” on the first one’s lense) now for almost 2 months. Where I couldn’t even do a single turn in a racing sim, I can comfortably do 5 or so laps now. Where I would fall over using natural locomotion in Half-Life: Alyx, I can play for a good hour (but still prefer using “shift” teleport) without feeling sick. I was concerned about space sims with dog fighting, but I’m surprised that I experience no ill effects in either Elite Dangerous or Star Wars Squadrons. I’ve really become a bit of a VR snob - I struggle to commit any time to games that don’t have a native VR mode. Where I was a VR nay-sayer a mere months ago, I’ve converted head over heels to the cult.

5 Likes

That is great to hear man. And welcome to the cult :smiley:
Yeah I also noticed that in Space sims I don’t feel a single thing. And Elite was one of the first games that I played before even getting my VR legs.

I’ve seen the light. And by light, i mean, a lot of games don’t do very good implementations. So frankly, I’m moving away from racing VR, cos they’re all absolute shaait (yes, i’m ignore AMS2, cos a fraction of drivers are playing it compared with AC or ACC). I do make do with Dirt Rally though, because the bumpiness with a screen is terrible, and much much easier in VR. One day when I’m big, and Pimax has gone mainstream, and kunos gets their shit together, maybe.

Ranting all aside, the shooters are amazing. Physical games, when you walk around :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Doo be doo, be, doo be doo, bye-yeah

1 Like

I’m the exact opposite. I started when VR was the new craze, played all the top selling games to death, saw and did all there was to see and do, nothing really impressed me anymore (except Alyx).
Now about 90% of my VR time is in sim racing :joy: There’s a think layer of dust on my VR controllers.

1 Like

Has anyone had dealings, know of VRoom? They’re in Menlyn Park Shopping Centre. I’m in Cape Town, else I’d just drive there.
It’s difficult to verify reputation of people advertising on gumtree. So I get the feeling, his shop disappeared during lockdown.

They’re not listed on Menlyn Park’s website so probably not. I could go look myself but I absolutely hate that mall.