The VR Thread

I should probably clarify that I’m not using rechargeables. Anyway got the Duracells today and it makes such a huge difference. The controllers just switch off randomly with the Evereadys but with the Duracels there are zero issues. I must just remember to always go with the bunny from now on.

1 Like

That’s great to hear man :smiley:

I have suffered from nausea with driving sims with an oculus since 2 years ago went I bought it. Tonight, I took a look at all the screens and contraptions I have, and said fuck it. Puzzled my way through configuring Assetto Corsa with Oculus and Steam VR, with some almost upchuck moments. Finally managed to race for hours just fine. It’s still a little blurry. And I had to turn down a lot of eye candy. Buuuuut, I can turn into the apex, it’s so damn easy now. There is no substitute for turning your damn head to see where you’re going. Thanks @SlinX and @Dragonic for the tips and settings.

I’m probably going to be super shit on Tuesday in the AC GT3 race, but I don’t care. I’ll get faster.

Next is Dirt Rally. Those mountainous areas are going to make me lose my lunch

4 Likes

Dirt Rally made me stop using VR. I must try again but I was sick for two weeks after using VR in Dirt Rally. So much so that every time I put on the headset I felt queasy.

Anytime @aldyr, welcome to club finally! :grimacing:
DRVR is the raid boss of VR, 5 right over bumps and jump into big jump into :face_vomiting:
I’d suggest starting in Spain.

@Solitude That sounds intense. Do you play other VR games with unnatural movement? 2 weeks is… wow.

3 Likes

I could play all kinds of games and was relatively fine. Dirt Rally messed me up badly. I haven’t used VR in a long while. Must set it up again and see if I can handle it better now.

Loooool

I need to try Windlands again since I am immortal to Driving in VR. Windlands made my knees weak however.

In my experience, IPD (pupil distance) and framerate issues are the 2 main culprits and can cause anyone to become nauseous, even the most hardened VR users.
Sometimes the frame drops are imperceptible but will still make you sick or give you headaches, I turn on the perf overlay in SteamVR sometimes just to make sure things are running smoothly.
Just my 2c…

1 Like

After some more googling, i’ve managed to lock the game to 90fps, with acceptable “dogshit” settings. AC actually looks legit pretty now, and the screendoor is bearable. Even have PP on with natural mod.

I was so brave, i went to do a quick run of DR2.0. Eish, it’s going to take some doing with the changes in verticality. Not as bad as @Solitude, but let’s just say, I tasted the soup i had for lunch again.

4 Likes

So… how’s 'bout dem whales? I hear they’re going south for the summer.

Also, got my grubby paws on a Oculus Rift S, coming from a Oculus Rift. Here’s another a-hole, agh i mean opinion, if anyone is thinking about buying a Rift S.

Set the scene: I wear spectacles. I simrace a lot. The existing Oculus Rift has external tracking sensors, which means using a screen, to switch on the fly, can be a pain because the screen blocks the sensors, if you’re sitting in a simrig. My IPD is 67mm. Luckily that is in the range. See lower down, why it’s lucky…

Oculus Rift
Pros:

• Tracking works well, but you need to make sure you don’t block the controllers/sensors line of sight with your body.
  • 90Hz screens -> 11ms
  • Comfortable (without spectacles)
  • Focal point seems quite large, and with the IPD adjusting slider, it’s easy to find it

Cons:

• External tracking, means you can’t switch between setups using large monitors easily, without blocking sensors
  • Average’ish VR image quality (for it’s generation), but next to a monitor, still pretty much looks ugly
  • Needs specific shape/design spectacles that will fit in the visor, and not touch/scratch the VR lenses
  • Not comfortable with spectacles
  • At least 3 USB 3.0 ports needed. More, if you buy extra sensors. You run out of USB ports on your computer very quickly.

Oculus Rift S
Pros:

• Image is clear compared to the previous Rift, screen-door-effect is almost gone
  • Higher res (2560x1440)
  • Slipping headset on and off is easier with the dial strap
  • You’re also able to tighten the headset in place, better with the dial strap. This has a side effect of having less weight on the bridge of my nose through the spectacles I’m wearing.
  • Comfortable with spectacles
  • Inside-out sensor tracking, no external sensors needed
  • Only need one USB 3.0 port
  • Video passthrough (allows you to see, using the cameras, without any need to lift the visor)

Cons:

• Inside-out sensor tracking does have blind spots, most notably, pulling a bow and arrow string passed your head, goes smack bang into it’s sensor blind spot.
  • Visor feels noticeably heavier
  • Focal point seems smaller, which means, if the visor moves around at all, things can go blurry very quickly
  • No IPD adjustment slider at all. If you don’t have an IPD between 62 - 68, you’re probably going to have a terrible time.
  • 80Hz
  • Worst earphones in the history of earphones

Stuff about both, that just differentiates the two products, and may or may not be a good or bad thing for you:

• The shape of the Rift S, seems to skew to having more depth. Nose area seems like there’s more space. I can tighten the headset far more, with spectacles on, in the Rift S, than the Rift.
  • Rift S has a Display Port cable, while the Rift has HDMI
  • Rift S doesn’t have OLED/AMOLED display

But, why did you go for it, since you list so many cons?

• I wanted inside-out tracking which would let me leave a screen right in front of the simrig, so I can more easily switch to sims that have no VR support, without shifting furniture.
  • Wearing spectacles, makes me somewhat of a niche of a niche VR user, and I was very lucky to be able to fit them in the visor without a problem. I looked for a long time at photos, guesstimating whether or not it would fit.
  • IPD adjustment bullet I also dodged by chance, though I did read that 66mm-ish is probably the sweet spot. I helps a lot that my eyes aren’t as close together as Jared Leto or as wide as apart as Kate Moss (aka mantis)
  • Yes the focal point is smaller, but that strap is just excellent for keeping the lenses exactly where they should be, relative to your eyes.
  • I fucking hate screen-door-effect, this thing should be in a Windowlene ad. It’s just so clear. (did i just date myself)
  • 80Hz isn’t a deal breaker for me, though I thought it would be
  • Earphones being bad, just means, I’ll switch to speakers or my wireless earphones, which are better quality than the original Rift.
  • As much as the visor is heavier, the centre of the weight is in a different location, and the dial strap, makes a huge difference in affixing it to the top of your head, and pulling it back into your face. No I didn’t know any of this strap and weight and centre of weight info before buying. So this is perhaps, the biggest gamble, on the purchase (in so far as, at least with IPD, you can look up the specifications). But with video reviews, no one describes how the weight sits on your head/face.

I hope this is helpful for anyone looking to buy an Oculus Rift S. Especially since it’s the same price now, as the Rift was 2 years ago. Is it worth it for you? No fucking idea, but it’s worth it for me.

5 Likes

Soooo… Does anybody here have a Quest or Quest 2? I ask because I recently played with the Quest 1 and I was actually very surprised at the quality of the image and the rendering. We are waiting for the link cable to see it playing PC games and if SteamVR works I will be playing Alyx this holiday!

But then if the Quest 1 is this good, how much better is the Quest 2? Probably marginally, but enough for just about every VR review site calling it the must have headset to get this year. So my question is, is the Quest 2 worth it as the perfect blend of VR?

I’ll let you know in 2 weeks’ time. I ordered mine at the end of November from Amazon, with stock dropping on 15 Dec only. The resolution increase and higher refresh rate are apparently the killer features that render the Quest 1 irrelevant now, especially seeing that the Quest 2 is cheaper that its predecessor. Facebook / Oculus is putting a huge gamble on the Quest 2, even deprecating their Rift line completely.

And why wait for a link cable? Any decent USB3 cable should work. Even better, just use Virtual Desktop and a decent wifi setup to play wirelessly with minimal lag.

1 Like

Ah, now see those are good tips! :wink: Thanks! I see it just needs a USB C cable that does data and power.

I know nothing of the Quest, but all i’m reading is that @oltman is getting VR!

2 Likes

Also, if you plan on getting a Quest 2 for higher fidelity, make sure to buy from Amazon. With shipping and taxes I ended up paying around R5600 for the Quest 2, vs R13k minimum at local retailers.

1 Like

Yeah, that was the plan.

Been playing on the Quest and I am amazed at how good it is in standalone mode! Played Beat Sabre and Super Hot VR and they run flawlessly on the device.

Breaking the piggy bank in January to get a Quest 2, for sure!

1 Like

OK, I just happened to stumble across Google Earth VR and it is just amazing!!! I feel like a kid in Mini Town in Durban, but cranked up to 11!

1 Like

Man, I can’t wait to experience it all! My package is currently in Dubai at an Amazon sorting facility. So I’d guess another week or two based on experience.

2 Likes

I still haven’t used that haha.

1 Like

It has arrived!

6 Likes